Author Topic: How much time on main stage vs B-tree stage? (no spoilers)  (Read 1351 times)

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
How much time on main stage vs B-tree stage? (no spoilers)
« on: June 01, 2017, 03:19:20 PM »
How much time does the band spend on main stage vs the B-stage (tree shaped)?

50% main/ 50% B-tree stage?

60% main/ 40% B-tree stage?
70% main/ 30% B-tree stage?

I found GA Joe's very reliable GA guide, he has attended many GA shows (even on this JT tour)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He said

Q: Where is the best spot to see U2 on the floor?
 A:  The ‘tree-stage’ is where the concert begins and ends, with U2 performing their pre- and post- Joshua Tree songs here.  The front stage is where U2 play all their Joshua Tree songs.  So depending on what you want to hear and see up close, you can decide which stage to gravitate towards.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: How much time on main stage vs B-tree stage? (no spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »
I'd worked it out, but forgotten the numbers (though the set list may have changed a little bit since then). It's about,
   55% all band members on the main stage.
   35% all band members on the b-stage.
   10% one or two members on the b-stage, the remainder on the main stage.

Joe's pretty much right, with one expedition to the b-stage by a band member during TJT, & one or two post JT songs performed on the main stage.

As with all stadium shows, the main stage is much higher than the b-stage. Meaning those on the front rail have to look up quite a way. The rail seems to be a bit further away from the stage than on 360, meaning the angle's not quite as bad as on 360, though being that bit further away from the stage means you're that little bit further away from the band. Obviously, as it's a stadium show & the main stage is very wide, people wide on the front rail will be pretty far from the band, with not a great angle of sight, as the band gravitates to the centre of the main stage. There's a boom camera set up on the main stage rail, near the catwalk, so just wide of Edge's spot.

As always, the b-stage is much lower than the main stage. If you're short, this may make it hard to see the band performing on the b-stage if you're on the main stage rail, as you'll be overlooking the crowd. Also note that for a few songs on the b-stage there are no visuals on the screen. Just like usual, the rail is closer to the b-stage than the main stage, so you'll get closer to band members when they're on the b-stage. The b-stage is an odd shape, with nooks & crannies. Larry is set up on stage left (house right) of it, so no other band members will venture there much. There's also a boom camera set up on stage right (house left) of the b-stage. This mainly effects people in the Red Zone, but also people in GA bordering the RZ. When on the b-stage the band usually perform out into the crowd, not looking back towards the main stage. If you get a rail spot on the far side of the b-stage you'll have an unimpeded view of the main stage, as you'll be overlooking the stage, with none of the crowd directly in front of you. For these reasons the top of the tree is a great spot, but just realise it's a very popular spot, so you'd have to queue very early & be near the front of the line to get that spot.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:13:55 PM by d.darroch »

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »
Thanks darroch! In fact, it was you who told me about GA Joe's site at the ither place.

You're always so detailed and technical. I feel like I need pics of the b-stage with crane and Larry's drum setup!

Can you clarify on this: "If you get a rail spot on the far side of the b-stage you'll have an unimpeded view of the main stage, as you'll be overlooking the stage, with none of the crowd directly in front of you. For these reasons the top of the tree is a great spot, but just realise it's a very popular spot, so you'd have to queue very early & be near the front of the line to get that spot."

Do you mean prime PRIME spot "far side of b-stage" = top of tree?

I forgot (until you mentioned) that Bono spends 10% time on the B-stage ALONE. Since I'm an Adam fan, I'm leaning towards main stage.

Did I understand this right: 180 degrees of the B-stage is prime, hard-to-get spot. The 180 degrees is from top of tree fanning 90 degrees on both sides: where the band plays out to the field, and the band sees you.

I'll guess people will cluster ALL AROUND the B-stage when they come in.

Like GA Joe's site said:
- audience around the tree could get more pushy. [maybe cos the band is closer and more intimate]
- main stage is indeed further than 360 tour. Probably a bit higher too. 

I wish to be where Adam will look to and see me once, even if I don't get rail (get real, I know).

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:04:45 PM »
As you said no spoilers I didn‘t post images. Can‘t seem to get spoiler tags to work with images on this site. But if you want images, here goes.

For me the PRIME spot is the top of the tree. The band will mostly face you. Here's an image by Joe no doubt, in that spot, which will be in high demand. You get an unimpeded view of the main stage, as there's nobody directly in front of you (unless you're unlucky with security). Note, the guy in GA on the other side of the b-stage, looking at the camera. If he turns around to look at the main stage he has to look directly over the crowd. Not good if he's not tall (or if someone very tall is in the way).
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's an image of the stage, before the band comes on.  Spots with an unimpeded view will be tip of the tree, & overlooking Larry drumkit (when it's retracted into the floor).
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Another one (click to expand the image). Note Larry's drums at the top of the b-stage in this image, & the boom camera at the bottom of the b-stage in this image. Note the other boom camera, where the catwalk joins the main stage.

And another. Boom camera at the top of the picture, catwalk to the right of this image.

The boom camera on the Red Zone rail. Won't effect GA on the b-stage rail, but may effect GA on the rail between GA & RZ.

Also I said the 10% would include ONE or TWO band members on the b-stage, so don‘t assume it's just bono. Teeny, tiny spoiler (without the song's name, just the band members' names).
 Bono has been performing a song with Adam on the b-stage, while Edge & Larry are main stage. Though they have been playing around with the setlist order, so this could change.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:47:39 PM by d.darroch »

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »
And another. Boom camera at the top of the picture, catwalk to the right of this image.

Also I said the 10% would include ONE or TWO band members on the b-stage, so don‘t assume it's just bono. Teeny, tiny spoiler (without the song's name, just the band members' names).
 Bono has been performing a song with Adam on the b-stage, while Edge & Larry are main stage. Though they have been playing around with the setlist order, so this could change.

Thanks again D! Ok, on B-stage, around Larry's drum kit is not that good, because you only see Larry's back. Will Adam venture there occasionally?
(We always see Adam checking in with Larry to take his cue, etc)

SPOILER BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm deliberately asking for this spoiler: what song has Bono and Adam on B-stage? Sounds like it may or may not be on set list. Weird pairing for Adam and Bono together, but me gusta!

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 08:11:51 PM »
Yeah you wouldn't want to be behind Larry, looking at his back. Most of the band would be further away, plus you wouldn't have the advantage of overlooking the b-stage when looking at the main stage, as the main stage is towards the right of the image above. But further around to the left, so Larry is kinda side on/front on wouldn't be bad. Near the steps in the image above. Yeah I have seen Adam hanging out there, & over near Larry. All the guys move around a fair bit, except Larry, so there's no, one, super spot. Adam's guitar tech, Stuart Morgan hangs out near those steps, think that's him in the image above.

So a bit further around towards the steps would be good, especially to see Adam. Here's a Periscope stream of the spot. Don't worry, it doesn't give anything away, it's pre-show, from today.

Haha, can't resist a spoiler! That song is a regular, & has been played every show. Bono starts on the b-stage alone, but Adam joins him after a minute. Adam starts out a little closer to the RZ, near the boom camera, then joins Bono near the tip of the tree. That song is        One.       
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:40:06 PM by d.darroch »

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
Thanks again D.

From all your help, I'm gonna try for:
1) the Stuart Morgan steps
2) B-tree stage, Edge side. Looking AT Larry. So I can look clearly at main stage when Larry's kit is retracted into ground. This might be harder, since it IS Edge's side of B-stage.

3) Main stage, Adam's side. Or slightly diagonal to Adam (on the unpopular/empty side. Not towards Bono)