Author Topic: U2 sings gospel on Jimmy Kimmel  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
U2 sings gospel on Jimmy Kimmel
« on: June 02, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

A little still haven't found what I am looking for!!!!

The audience sang about Christ's deliverance through the cross: 

"He will lift you higher and higher... He will lift you up when you call... He will bring you shelter from the storm... I believe in the Kingdom Come... Then all the colours will bleed into one... Bleed into one... But yes, I'm still running... You broke the bonds... And you loosed the chains... Carried the cross of my shame... Oh my shame, you know I believe it," they sung.

Bono has never been shy about his faith in Christ.

He spoke about the impact of music in a recent video series with David Taylor, a theology and culture professor at Fuller Theological Seminary. To Bono, music is more than a simple tune, it's "prophetic."

"If the job of the prophet is to describe the state of the soul, the soul of the city, if we want to know what's really going on ... you've got to really go look at the art," he told Taylor.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: U2 sings gospel on Jimmy Kimmel
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:17:49 AM »
I thought this was a great version, and wonderful of the band to do it on this show. I grew up with gospel music, still love it even though I didn't stay with the Southern Baptist church. A lot of folks are wondering why they played it on the Kimmel show...I say "why not?"

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:58:34 AM »
Yes I agree - it is one of the best versions that I have heard, and the gospel choir were pretty excellent. 

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 01:53:48 PM »
It's the Rattle and Hum, original TJT Tour version. Nothing surprising about it. It's a gospel song done with a gospel choir. Amazes me each time someone tells me they didn't realize half of the 'yous' in U2 songs are directed at God and not a lover.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's the Rattle and Hum, original TJT Tour version. Nothing surprising about it. It's a gospel song done with a gospel choir. Amazes me each time someone tells me they didn't realize half of the 'yous' in U2 songs are directed at God and not a lover.

Ha!  My son's teacher in elementary school chose to have the class discuss "Pride (In the Name of Love)" for MLK day discussion.  He asked what the song was about, and my son said "Martin Luther King Jr and Jesus Christ" and the teacher argued with him and said it wasn't about Jesus at all. 

I'm like, really, dude?  You don't have to be a priest to acknowledge what lyrics say and appreciate art even if it's not your personal faith.  But I admit, sometimes I feel bad for people who listen to U2 without *any* background at all.  You'd miss half of the references and meanings....

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »
I used to think the Choir version of Still Havent found was the most amazing and uplifting thing since sliced bread. But now, i find it a tad underwhelming. Likely a skipper for me now. If i never heard it again in any version, that would be ok with me

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 09:58:19 AM »
I personally have never particularly cared for the full gospel version, but I thought them doing it on Kimmel was a nice touch.  After I saw it, I wondered if they might include a gospel choir on the tour--they could likely find a local one at each city they play in to learn it in about 10 minutes.