Author Topic: ATU2 JT RUMOR- extended dates in USA  (Read 7203 times)

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
Re: ATU2 JT RUMOR- extended dates in USA
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 09:49:34 AM »
From a marketing perspective, it makes sense.  The current tour could continue and then a few weeks afterwards (December maybe?), "Songs of Experience" is released with the subsequent tour in 2018.  It's a nice way to keep the band in the forefront by coming off a tour, releasing a new album, and touring again.  There isn't a lot of dead time.  The extension of the current tour bridges right into all of the Songs of Experience things.

However, with the band having a long history of delayed releases, if the current tour continues well into the fall, I'd place good money that the new album is pushed back until at least the first quarter of next year.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »
OK, here's me eating crow. These additional dates in 'secondary' US markets officially have me concerned about E+I next year, UNLESS they are planning to start with places they didn't hit on TJT -- like Australia/NZ, for example, then Europe and then the US in fall 2018.

I don't know; they used to be fairly predictable, but they are playing a completely different game now.

Offline edge726

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »
I think they could probably swing a few more US arenas next year, probably in the fall. They could probably do Barclays in Brooklyn or MSG. I'd say 2 nights wouldn't be hard, maybe even 3 or 4. They sold like 250k tix in NY on 360, similar figures to I&E and TJT.

I'd bet if they play US arenas next year, it'll be a good 4 or so years until the next run after that.

Offline Alakazoo

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not surprised this tour would be expanded--I'm actually surprised Chicago isn't listed with a possible return date.  More surprising, though, is the artwork/possible confirmation of a new album this year.  I could imagine it's possible that the delays and perception of TJT30 relegating them as a nostalgia act could have lit a fire to finish up the new album and get it out as quickly as possible after this tour.  It does make the idea of touring as early as next year a bit odd, though.  Would they still find an audience willing to pay to see them just the year after they toured their biggest album?  I could see a lot of people passing, unless they decided to skip the usual markets for that tour.  Maybe it becomes similar to LoveTown?  Hm.  Lots to speculate about.

They could play at Parc Jean-Drapeau just like Metallica and Guns and Roses are doing this summer

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
OK, here's me eating crow. These additional dates in 'secondary' US markets officially have me concerned about E+I next year, UNLESS they are planning to start with places they didn't hit on TJT -- like Australia/NZ, for example, then Europe and then the US in fall 2018.

I don't know; they used to be fairly predictable, but they are playing a completely different game now.

I'm glad to see some people acknowledging this, instead of moving the goalposts every time they extend this tour.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
I thought about that as well, but decided to post anyway.  :D

No, I can't think of another Montreal venue that size.

I think if U2 wanted to play Montreal then they would be happy to for their fee and have the promoter figure out the venue issue.

Another Toronto show would be nice too (given how quickly the upcoming June show sold-out I think the market could bear another one), but with the rumoured Buffalo and Detroit shows that seems really unlikely.

Too bad Ottawa doesn't have venue for this show as it would address the Montreal audience and possibly Southern Ontarians who aren't keen to cross the border.

Montreal is a big omission from the rumour list.

Agreed, but would you want to perform at the Big O at this point?  I know they built a stadium there for 360 which was fabulous, but I don't think they would do that this time around, if we're talking JTJ30 Stadium tour.  What other existing stadium size venue is there in Montreal?

I thought the issue with the Olympic Stadium for 360 was that the claw/rigging was too high. TJT stage doesn't seem to be quite as menacing... is something else wrong with the O that I'm missing? (and yes I agree that Montreal seriously needs to be on this list)

I'm assuming that the venue is in really bad shape. I've been to Olympic Park before and, like many former Olympic sites, it is falling apart. From what I understand, the place never gets concerts anymore.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 11:26:56 AM »
I'm not surprised this tour would be expanded--I'm actually surprised Chicago isn't listed with a possible return date.  More surprising, though, is the artwork/possible confirmation of a new album this year.  I could imagine it's possible that the delays and perception of TJT30 relegating them as a nostalgia act could have lit a fire to finish up the new album and get it out as quickly as possible after this tour.  It does make the idea of touring as early as next year a bit odd, though.  Would they still find an audience willing to pay to see them just the year after they toured their biggest album?  I could see a lot of people passing, unless they decided to skip the usual markets for that tour.  Maybe it becomes similar to LoveTown?  Hm.  Lots to speculate about.

They could play at Parc Jean-Drapeau just like Metallica and Guns and Roses are doing this summer

Parc Jean-Drapeau is not a stadium. U2 wants a good deal of seats they can sell for 250$ +

Only the Big O fits for U2. They did the original JT Tour, ZooTV OB and PopMart in that stadium. And there's a quote by Edge in Rolling Stone Mag saying he realized they could succeed in a stadium after the Montreal show in 1987.

"There were times when I felt that we really succeeded spectacularly at the stadiums and times when I really felt disappointed. I remember one great show, in Olympic Stadium in Montreal. It was great. That's when I thought, "Hey, this can work."

You can read the full interview here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So there's a connection with Montreal, they did 4 nights for I&E and a one-shot stadium that was built for 360, with 2 sold-outs shows at 80,000 each. Right now, I have no clue as to why Evenko is not able to book them this time around.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »
I thought about that as well, but decided to post anyway.  :D

No, I can't think of another Montreal venue that size.

I think if U2 wanted to play Montreal then they would be happy to for their fee and have the promoter figure out the venue issue.

Another Toronto show would be nice too (given how quickly the upcoming June show sold-out I think the market could bear another one), but with the rumoured Buffalo and Detroit shows that seems really unlikely.

Too bad Ottawa doesn't have venue for this show as it would address the Montreal audience and possibly Southern Ontarians who aren't keen to cross the border.

Montreal is a big omission from the rumour list.

Agreed, but would you want to perform at the Big O at this point?  I know they built a stadium there for 360 which was fabulous, but I don't think they would do that this time around, if we're talking JTJ30 Stadium tour.  What other existing stadium size venue is there in Montreal?

I thought the issue with the Olympic Stadium for 360 was that the claw/rigging was too high. TJT stage doesn't seem to be quite as menacing... is something else wrong with the O that I'm missing? (and yes I agree that Montreal seriously needs to be on this list)

I'm assuming that the venue is in really bad shape. I've been to Olympic Park before and, like many former Olympic sites, it is falling apart. From what I understand, the place never gets concerts anymore.

Olympic Stadium in Montreal is NOT falling apart. Actually, it's going through a nice revival lately.

Read this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »
I think they could probably swing a few more US arenas next year, probably in the fall. They could probably do Barclays in Brooklyn or MSG. I'd say 2 nights wouldn't be hard, maybe even 3 or 4. They sold like 250k tix in NY on 360, similar figures to I&E and TJT.

I'd bet if they play US arenas next year, it'll be a good 4 or so years until the next run after that.

Wow. Everyone is just making stuff up now huh?

Offline thistrain

• Babyface
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »
I wish they'd add a date in San Antonio at the Alamodome. They haven't played there since 1997 and not in Austin since 2001. Granted they just played Houston and Dallas but not central Texas in a long time.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »

I'm glad to see some people acknowledging this, instead of moving the goalposts every time they extend this tour.

Haha, exactly. U2 is not going to risk a big arena tour when they just wrapped up a massive stadium tour.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 12:08:49 PM »

Haha, exactly. U2 is not going to risk a big arena tour when they just wrapped up a massive stadium tour.

Exactly, friends. I have been as vocal as anyone saying 'Chill; they'll do E+I next year,' but if this latest development is true, I think we can throw that out the window, again, UNLESS, they do 'rest of the world', then Europe and the U.S. last next. I think adding these U.S. shows is a bad sign for something happening next year. It doesn't kill it, but I way less optimistic than I was two days ago.

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »
Why would the cover be blackened out though? Hmmmm

could be connected to the original  white  "cover" of the digital SOI.
Same idea: cheap studio markings, date, etc.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »
The original pic showed the image of Bono's and Edge's kids underneath the black. It was faint but you could see it.