Author Topic: ATU2 JT RUMOR- extended dates in USA  (Read 7086 times)

monopoly

Re: ATU2 JT RUMOR- extended dates in USA
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OK, here's me eating crow. These additional dates in 'secondary' US markets officially have me concerned about E+I next year, UNLESS they are planning to start with places they didn't hit on TJT -- like Australia/NZ, for example, then Europe and then the US in fall 2018.

I don't know; they used to be fairly predictable, but they are playing a completely different game now.

I'm glad to see some people acknowledging this, instead of moving the goalposts every time they extend this tour.

Haha, exactly. U2 is not going to risk a big arena tour when they just wrapped up a massive stadium tour.

Exactly, friends. I have been as vocal as anyone saying 'Chill; they'll do E+I next year,' but if this latest development is true, I think we can throw that out the window, again, UNLESS, they do 'rest of the world', then Europe and the U.S. last next. I think adding these U.S. shows is a bad sign for something happening next year. It doesn't kill it, but I way less optimistic than I was two days ago.

They're adding shows because they know it sells. They will come back for sure for E+I but they certainly won't start here. It will be fall 2018-2019. By then they will for sure be tired of touring. I think there is potential for one more album after but buy then, at Least 5 years will have passed since 2019. Can I just say that all this I+E and E+I is ridiculous? I hope Bonos just calling it that. I+E sounds better

monopoly

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
The original pic showed the image of Bono's and Edge's kids underneath the black. It was faint but you could see it.

It's still there

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
OK, here's me eating crow. These additional dates in 'secondary' US markets officially have me concerned about E+I next year, UNLESS they are planning to start with places they didn't hit on TJT -- like Australia/NZ, for example, then Europe and then the US in fall 2018.

I don't know; they used to be fairly predictable, but they are playing a completely different game now.

I'm glad to see some people acknowledging this, instead of moving the goalposts every time they extend this tour.

Haha, exactly. U2 is not going to risk a big arena tour when they just wrapped up a massive stadium tour.

I don't know, I don't think they'd have problems selling out arenas on a relatively quick turnaround with a new album/tour. And I think they'd be foolish not to release SOE on the heels of the buzz/success of this tour. My guess is also that they'd start the new tour somewhere other than the US. But what do I know? I'm just a fly.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2017, 01:45:44 PM »

Exactly, friends. I have been as vocal as anyone saying 'Chill; they'll do E+I next year,' but if this latest development is true, I think we can throw that out the window, again, UNLESS, they do 'rest of the world', then Europe and the U.S. last next. I think adding these U.S. shows is a bad sign for something happening next year. It doesn't kill it, but I way less optimistic than I was two days ago.

They're adding shows because they know it sells. They will come back for sure for E+I but they certainly won't start here. It will be fall 2018-2019. By then they will for sure be tired of touring. I think there is potential for one more album after but buy then, at Least 5 years will have passed since 2019. Can I just say that all this I+E and E+I is ridiculous? I hope Bonos just calling it that. I+E sounds better

I sort of doubt it. I think they'll call it E+I just to differentiate between the two.

Offline edge726

• Babyface
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »
I think they could probably swing a few more US arenas next year, probably in the fall. They could probably do Barclays in Brooklyn or MSG. I'd say 2 nights wouldn't be hard, maybe even 3 or 4. They sold like 250k tix in NY on 360, similar figures to I&E and TJT.

I'd bet if they play US arenas next year, it'll be a good 4 or so years until the next run after that.

Wow. Everyone is just making stuff up now huh?

Nope, if you read my post correctly you'd see im just throwing ideas around, not saying false rumors   ::)

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »
If they are adding new dates it will take them into 2018 they certainly won't do a world tour tour right after that with the new album.

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 12:23:04 AM »
If those dates are real, I think it's a slim to none chance they are for i+e. They would have booked the Smoothie King Center, if that were the case, I believe. The last time they played the Superdome, it was on the PopMart tour and it was half full. They haven't been back since. If they're coming to NOLA to play the dome, I think they're bringing The Joshua Tree with them.

I'll take whatever I can get, though. PLEASE COME BACK TO LOUISIANA!!!

The only reason they'd consider NOLA is because it's JT30.  You can count the number of times they've played that city on one hand...actually I think it's 2 fingers..October and Pop (which sold poorly).  I can't imagine I+E/E+I going to NOLA, but maybe if this one sells out quickly...maybe.  The reality is NOLA is a best of U2 kinda town and I+E had a fair amount of new material.

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2017, 12:27:31 AM »
I don't know how they're going to tour SOE, especially if they add more JT shows in secondary U.S. markets as well as South America.

Where are they going to take a new tour that would actually sell tickets that soon after a stadium tour? (Yes there's Australia, if they don't add JT shows there too)

They'd sell out most places.  U2 has no problem selling out arenas.  Hell, they sold out 2+ shows/city on the last tour.  I'm more skeptical of NZ dates for JT if they're planning to tour for SOE next year.  Then again, I suspect most of the staging will be the same as SOI, so the only thing they'd need to do is rehearse, so I guess they could do that after a short trip down under...but it'd make more sense for them to go there this year right after the South America dates.

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2017, 12:33:20 AM »
I'd say that if JT is extended they would avoid the US for SOE and tour through parts of the world that haven't seen U2 in years. Then a proper Euro tour and then maybe some US shows after.
Problem is that it's an arena tour and outside of North America and Europe, I don't htink they've done an arena tour since Love Town.  And let's be honest folks, we're the exception.  Most peole just want to hear the old sh**....and in this case, there are a lot of songs that people have never heard live.  I bet NZ/AUS missed a bunch of JT songs, since they were touring on R&H, so this would be a treat for them too.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2017, 12:56:32 AM »

Every few days, I feel like the news gets worse with regard to the debate over whether or not they are still a "real" vital band or a heritage act. Over and over and over the promises are for vital band with new music and tours, but the moves keep saying heritage act. I wanted so badly to believe, but I really think that they are effectively done.

Eat your memberberries and enjoy them, if that's your thing.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2017, 04:23:49 AM »

Every few days, I feel like the news gets worse with regard to the debate over whether or not they are still a "real" vital band or a heritage act. Over and over and over the promises are for vital band with new music and tours, but the moves keep saying heritage act. I wanted so badly to believe, but I really think that they are effectively done.

Eat your memberberries and enjoy them, if that's your thing.

Not sure why TJT tour was agreed.

It can't be because they need the money.

It can't be to big up a classic album. Thirty years on, TJT is safely nestled highly in most 'best ever' album lists. Besides which there are new deluxe versions being released & a new version of RHMT keeping TJT in the public eye.

It can't be because they want to tour again. In that case they could have finished off SOE and toured that.

It can't be that they miss playing specific JT songs live. Some have constantly been played over the last 30 years. While others which have been completely ignored could be included in a SOE tour, if they had the urge to celebrate 30 years.   

It can't be because they wanted to give the fans what they want. No one was demanding a JT tour while all fans were looking forward to new music.

Hopefully someone will explain.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:40:32 AM by zoo adam »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2017, 06:08:39 AM »

Not sure why TJT tour was agreed.

It can't be because they need the money.

Agreed, 4 guys don't need the money. But add to that all of the parts that make up the u2 juggernaut, and sure, they need the money. LiveNation need the money. Business teams need the money. U2 as 4 guys are only the public face.

The Joshua Tree tour is a massively bankable tour (and by all reports, pretty good too!), they can charge high bucks and get big numbers. We discussed this on another thread.

So no, U2 don't need money. But they have a lot of people to support. They can make as much in a handful of big shows as they can in triple the number of arena shows.

It's good business

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2017, 06:35:14 AM »
IF this new leg in the U.S. gets announced, I wonder if new ticket codes will be given out to members.

My membership always is up for renewal in February.  For the current JT tour sales, I would have been eligible for a ticket code WITHOUT renewing, but I renewed anyway and early (December, I think). 

So am I wrong in thinking I used my code for being a member up to Feb2017 and should be given a new code for my current membership through Feb2018 if a new U.S. leg is announced?  Or do you think U2.com will say my codes are exhausted for this tour?

Might have to talk to Big Wave over on the Zooropa boards.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2017, 07:23:44 AM »
Well, you'll be able to find out now...!

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2017, 07:37:42 AM »
they are coming to KC!  I get to see them again!

I know some are disappointed, but lighten up and enjoy it guys.  This is a fantastic tour - like I said, they would be crazy not to keep it the momentum going.