Author Topic: ATU2 JT RUMOR- extended dates in USA  (Read 7212 times)

Offline This Dave

• Numb
Re: ATU2 JT RUMOR- extended dates in USA
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Huh.  We're still gnashing our teeth about what we were "promised"?  I promise you, you weren't "promised" anything.  One would think any long-term fan of this band would have figured this out by now.

Are you really going to pretend they didn't say the new album was just about ready? Ok, there wasn't a contract signed in blood, but this is revisionist.

monopoly

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2017, 05:36:28 PM »
Huh.  We're still gnashing our teeth about what we were "promised"?  I promise you, you weren't "promised" anything.  One would think any long-term fan of this band would have figured this out by now.

Are you really going to pretend they didn't say the new album was just about ready? Ok, there wasn't a contract signed in blood, but this is revisionist.

They announced it would be ready for 2017 on Christmas. Back in January, the Edge said the album was finished. Completely done, but they decided to hold off on it because of the world and a chance to write/edit more. Bono gave a list of song names in February and lyrics for "Little Things" and "Showman". Now they're playing a new song. The album's been done for months and they could release it digitally any moment they wanted. The word promised was not actually used, but they've been confirming indirectly for months now.
I think its quite obvious extending TJT means postponing the release of SOE. And of course, theres about 2-3 months of SOE promotional work with the album before the next E+I tour can start. Everything is getting pushed the longer its held off.  In my mind, they have until December 31st to release...

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2017, 07:17:21 PM »

They announced it would be ready for 2017 on Christmas. Back in January, the Edge said the album was finished. Completely done, but they decided to hold off on it because of the world and a chance to write/edit more. Bono gave a list of song names in February and lyrics for "Little Things" and "Showman". Now they're playing a new song. The album's been done for months and they could release it digitally any moment they wanted. The word promised was not actually used, but they've been confirming indirectly for months now.
I think its quite obvious extending TJT means postponing the release of SOE. And of course, theres about 2-3 months of SOE promotional work with the album before the next E+I tour can start. Everything is getting pushed the longer its held off.  In my mind, they have until December 31st to release...

Right.  I'm not suggesting that fans should sue them or something, but to pretend that they have not been saying this will be out very soon is ridiculous. They have quite specifically said so. However, I am not sure that the album is as finished as we think it is, and I don't think that they can sit on a finished album without trying to redo half of it.  And they certainly are not going to release it while they cannot support any kind of promotion because they are busy playing the Joshua tree.
 It's not so much that this is happening that bugs me, but more that I expect we are going to get a lame excuse.  The real answer is "nostalgia tours apparently make us lots of money".

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »

Right.  I'm not suggesting that fans should sue them or something, but to pretend that they have not been saying this will be out very soon is ridiculous. They have quite specifically said so. However, I am not sure that the album is as finished as we think it is, and I don't think that they can sit on a finished album without trying to redo half of it.  And they certainly are not going to release it while they cannot support any kind of promotion because they are busy playing the Joshua tree.
 It's not so much that this is happening that bugs me, but more that I expect we are going to get a lame excuse.  The real answer is "nostalgia tours apparently make us lots of money".

That true, but they also generate a lot of interest for a band that is at the twilight stage of their career.
In a round about way, it could improve the currency of SOE. They boys will be eager to prove that they are not a nostalgia act, and may move away from what is expected of them. We can but hope.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
ATU2 JT RUMOR- extended dates in USA
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
People seem to be enjoying the tour. They obviously have some material...maybe they need to refine it...but until then we have a really awesome tour.  I would say, just ride the wave and enjoy the now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »
If anyone here has ever tried their hand at writing music and actually recording an album, they'd know that you can finish 12 or so songs and think that they're absolutely great, then come back to them a short time later and be like, "Well, this isn't very good" or "This needs work", etc. Or maybe they get excited about new ideas, decide to work on them and think about incorporating it into whatever they're already working on. Most, if not all, musicians are going to do this to some extent. The only reason this band is held to a different standard is because they do enough interviews or statements to give us a wet appetite, only to not release anything immediately because they're human beings in the end.

Could they just say nothing about a new album until it comes out? Sure. But then we'll wonder if one will ever appear and criticize them for not keeping us posted enough and whatever else. I think all of us have been frustrated at one point or another, which is fine (and human in its own right). But thinking they're terrible people or doing anything really out of the ordinary when you write music in the first place is a bit much, imo.

It hasn't even been three years since SOI came out, and they're regularly playing a new song on tour, so I'm not too antsy about it yet myself. Even more so when I compare this for the SOI wait.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2017, 10:29:09 PM »

How is it revisionist? The band has indicated so many things that were delayed or never saw the light of day I've lost count. The two-concert I+E concept? Songs of Ascent? The Rick Rubin album? The three albums at once? Returning immediately to the studio for a quick release after any particular tour? Pop in 1996? The Zooropa triple-cast? The Sega Genesis video game? Are we supposed to be upset about these, too?

Saying an album is just about ready means nothing. Maybe it was. Maybe they were mistaken. Maybe they changed their minds. Maybe a million reasons could exist why they aren't releasing it yet.

I remember people here already expecting SOE in a short time frame virtually the same day that SOI was released at the Apple event, because Bono ran off at the mouth about it. They literally had just been given a new album, and they were already wondering when they would have the next one. How sensible was anyone pinning their hopes on that? And folks whine about it ever since.

There are no promises with this band. They owe nobody anything. I cannot imagine there are long-term fans who haven't realized this by now, but here we are.

Expect an album when they announce an actual, definite release date. Enjoy TJT30 tour in the meantime. Or not. But this band will not be around forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2017, 04:00:16 AM »
People seem to be enjoying the tour. They obviously have some material...maybe they need to refine it...but until then we have a really awesome tour.  I would say, just ride the wave and enjoy the now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure fans on the Aerosmith forums say the same thing.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2017, 07:14:39 AM »
I would prefer they not have done this type of tour to begin with, but I had come to except that this was going to be a Quick jaunt and then back to making new music. It is getting longer and longer. There is an excuse every time for how this won't impact things.

Anyone who'd been paying attention knew that this would be used as an excuse to delay the new album. I mean, they delayed SOI for months because they had the herculean task of writing Ordinary Love, FFS!

I don't mean to argue fine points, but extending this tour isn't an excuse to delay the new album. The new album is going to be released when it is ready, one way or another, TJT tour or no.

If you order an entree, and the waiter says 'It is going to be an hour, do you want an appetizer in the meantime?' ordering the buffalo wings or potato skins isn't changing that hour timeframe, good or bad. That's the way you need to this of this tour; this is a time-filler. They delayed the album and decided to do this tour, not the other way around.

The more accurate analogy would be if your waiter said the food would be out in 20 minutes, and then 17 minutes into it he announced the chef was sending out an appetizer as a surprise, but it was the same thing you'd already had as an appetizer, and then that became the excuse for why your entree took an extra 2 hours to come out.

I'll be pedantic; it's like neither of those things.  This is like if there was a store front that said "Coming Soon: A New Restaurant!" and standing outside the door, starving, and being mad at the proprietor for not opening his restaurant so you can buy lunch.

Nobody's ordered an entrée.  There is no entrée.  We can be disappointed that a new album isn't out--that the new restaurant isn't open yet, even though it seems ready--but in the meantime, I'd say get lunch somewhere else.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2017, 07:22:23 AM »

I'll be pedantic; it's like neither of those things.  This is like if there was a store front that said "Coming Soon: A New Restaurant!" and standing outside the door, starving, and being mad at the proprietor for not opening his restaurant so you can buy lunch.

Nobody's ordered an entrée.  There is no entrée.  We can be disappointed that a new album isn't out--that the new restaurant isn't open yet, even though it seems ready--but in the meantime, I'd say get lunch somewhere else.

This analogy slightly concerns me:  We had a store in my town with a sign in the window that said something like 'New Restaurant-Coming Soon' and months went by and still the sign read the same thing until one day the owners of the building took down the signage and covered the windows with some kind of decorated window coverings.  The restaurant still isn't open - and never will.
I really do hope that SOE does come out and sometime soon.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2017, 07:27:39 AM »

This analogy slightly concerns me:  We had a store in my town with a sign in the window that said something like 'New Restaurant-Coming Soon' and months went by and still the sign read the same thing until one day the owners of the building took down the signage and covered the windows with some kind of decorated window coverings.  The restaurant still isn't open - and never will.

And I get that.  The thing is, every album any band releases COULD be their last.  The next one may never come, for a million reasons.  I get disappointment, or thinking the band has maybe lost their nerve, or whatever.  But it just seems like there are folks who take that to a level of indignation that simply isn't justified.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »

And I get that.  The thing is, every album any band releases COULD be their last.  The next one may never come, for a million reasons.  I get disappointment, or thinking the band has maybe lost their nerve, or whatever.  But it just seems like there are folks who take that to a level of indignation that simply isn't justified.
Agreed - there is no need for indignation