Author Topic: ATU2 JT RUMOR- extended dates in USA  (Read 7152 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: ATU2 JT RUMOR- extended dates in USA
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »
Looking at the Tours page of U2.com it's easy to see why extended dates for US have been added - most shows have sold out completely.  Looking at the European leg the only shows that have completely sold out so far are London 1 and also Dublin (no surprises there).  Of all the other 10 shows scheduled there are at least packages still available for all shows.  Over in Europe, people maybe just don't get it so much and it is only right that more dates should be added to the tour, echoing the original tour which kept going on & on.
Really good that they are going back to South America - the band have previously hinted that they wanted to do this in the autumn/fall.  Yeah, TJT does hint at Central America and Chile definitely - it was always about 'America' in all senses.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not sure why TJT tour was agreed.

It can't be because they need the money.

Agreed, 4 guys don't need the money. But add to that all of the parts that make up the u2 juggernaut, and sure, they need the money. LiveNation need the money. Business teams need the money. U2 as 4 guys are only the public face.

The Joshua Tree tour is a massively bankable tour (and by all reports, pretty good too!), they can charge high bucks and get big numbers. We discussed this on another thread.

So no, U2 don't need money. But they have a lot of people to support. They can make as much in a handful of big shows as they can in triple the number of arena shows.

It's good business

I would argue that it is good business in the very short term, but it is the nail in the coffin of this band in the long run. I would prefer they not have done this type of tour to begin with, but I had come to except that this was going to be a Quick jaunt and then back to making new music. It is getting longer and longer. There is an excuse every time for how this won't impact things.
It will. There's no denying it anymore.  We are not going to get that new album when we were promised. We are not going to get a tour showcasing that new album we were promised. It is going to be a long, long time.   And the reason that it's going to happen, the only reason, is because this is a nice fat money grab.  You cannot tell me with a straight face that  something very fundamental has not changed within the band.  Even worse, I look at what's changing with us as fans. Just a few years ago, I don't think most of us would even have believed that a tour like this would happen. Now as the news gets worse, we continue to pump out excuses for it.

They are getting closer and closer to becoming Aerosmith or something like that.  They might as well start putting on their clothes from 1987 and do that thing bands do where they stay frozen in the moment when they had their peak popularity.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:13:34 PM by This Dave »

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »

Agreed, 4 guys don't need the money. But add to that all of the parts that make up the u2 juggernaut, and sure, they need the money. LiveNation need the money. Business teams need the money. U2 as 4 guys are only the public face.

The Joshua Tree tour is a massively bankable tour (and by all reports, pretty good too!), they can charge high bucks and get big numbers. We discussed this on another thread.

So no, U2 don't need money. But they have a lot of people to support. They can make as much in a handful of big shows as they can in triple the number of arena shows.

It's good business

I would argue that it is good business in the very short time, but it is the nail in the coffin of this band in the long run. I would prefer they not have done this type of tour to begin with, but I had come to except that this was going to be a Quick jaunt and then back to making new music. It is getting longer and longer. There is an excuse every time for how this won't impact things.
It will. There's no denying it anymore.  We are not going to get that new album when we were promised. We are not going to get a tour showcasing that new album we were promised. It is going to be a long, long time.   And the reason that it's going to happen, the only reason, is because this is a nice fat money grab.  You cannot tell me with a straight face that  something very fundamental has not changed within the band.  Even worse, I look at what's changing with us as fans. Just a few years ago, I don't think most of us would even have believed that a tour like this would happen. Now as the news gets worse, we continue to pump out excuses for it.

I still believe SOE WILL come out soon.  Maybe around December 1st, which is a Friday.  The tour will happen, probably starting some time in 2018.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2017, 08:05:18 AM »
I agree with you. I wish they hadn't done it.

But I'll also freely admit I'm a hypocrite like everyone else in the world and will go and see it if it finds its way over here

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2017, 08:22:29 AM »
Rock on Briscoe!

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2017, 08:43:04 AM »
Anyone got a pre-sale code they aren't using?

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2017, 11:16:44 AM »
I am trying to remain optimistic that this isn't a reflection of E+I. They are only playing a handful of SA shows, so they might as well get some extra US dates in. Maybe this just means that E+I will begin Down Under and maybe in the Pacific as well and then Europe and the USA will come last, late next fall. I don't think these additional dates will prevent U2 from selling out single-night arenas and two shows each in LA, Boston, Chicago and NYC with a new album and different show. I mean, we are talking about 20,000 seats, and this is still U2.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2017, 11:20:16 AM »

It's good business

I would argue that it is good business in the very short time, but it is the nail in the coffin of this band in the long run. I would prefer they not have done this type of tour to begin with, but I had come to except that this was going to be a Quick jaunt and then back to making new music. It is getting longer and longer. There is an excuse every time for how this won't impact things.

I still believe SOE WILL come out soon.  Maybe around December 1st, which is a Friday.  The tour will happen, probably starting some time in 2018.

No. They are going to say that they were so close to finishing it, but then after they extended the tour they were burning up with all of these new ideas that just had to make it into the album, so they need to take more time. And we will pretend like that is a real thing and took the band by surprise.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
I would prefer they not have done this type of tour to begin with, but I had come to except that this was going to be a Quick jaunt and then back to making new music. It is getting longer and longer. There is an excuse every time for how this won't impact things.

Anyone who'd been paying attention knew that this would be used as an excuse to delay the new album. I mean, they delayed SOI for months because they had the herculean task of writing Ordinary Love, FFS!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »
I would prefer they not have done this type of tour to begin with, but I had come to except that this was going to be a Quick jaunt and then back to making new music. It is getting longer and longer. There is an excuse every time for how this won't impact things.

Anyone who'd been paying attention knew that this would be used as an excuse to delay the new album. I mean, they delayed SOI for months because they had the herculean task of writing Ordinary Love, FFS!

I don't mean to argue fine points, but extending this tour isn't an excuse to delay the new album. The new album is going to be released when it is ready, one way or another, TJT tour or no.

If you order an entree, and the waiter says 'It is going to be an hour, do you want an appetizer in the meantime?' ordering the buffalo wings or potato skins isn't changing that hour timeframe, good or bad. That's the way you need to this of this tour; this is a time-filler. They delayed the album and decided to do this tour, not the other way around.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »

It's good business

So U2 are spending 2018 touring TJT for the U2 juggernaut. As they have a lot of people to support. That is very noble of them.

Thought it would have been just as easy to release SOE & tour that. That could have made some money for the other people U2 are supporting. Their previous tours haven't done badly.

At least you agreed it wasn't the other 5 possibilities I mentioned why U2 are touring TJT.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:51:34 PM by zoo adam »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
Huh.  We're still gnashing our teeth about what we were "promised"?  I promise you, you weren't "promised" anything.  One would think any long-term fan of this band would have figured this out by now.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2017, 04:49:56 PM »
So it seems our reaction to this news is limited to the following.

Option 1. SOE is released in 201X with no band activity leading up to this date.

Option 2. SOE is released in 201X, following a world tour leading up to this date.

Choose which one to be angry about the most.

Or we could simply chill out and enjoy what is happening right in front us.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2017, 04:57:37 PM »
So it seems our reaction to this news is limited to the following.

Option 1. SOE is released in 201X with no band activity leading up to this date.

Option 2. SOE is released in 201X, following a world tour leading up to this date.

Choose which one to be angry about the most.

Or we could simply chill out and enjoy what is happening right in front us.

While all the other reactions I read online are "Hey, U2's finally coming to town!!"

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »

I don't mean to argue fine points, but extending this tour isn't an excuse to delay the new album. The new album is going to be released when it is ready, one way or another, TJT tour or no.

If you order an entree, and the waiter says 'It is going to be an hour, do you want an appetizer in the meantime?' ordering the buffalo wings or potato skins isn't changing that hour timeframe, good or bad. That's the way you need to this of this tour; this is a time-filler. They delayed the album and decided to do this tour, not the other way around.

The more accurate analogy would be if your waiter said the food would be out in 20 minutes, and then 17 minutes into it he announced the chef was sending out an appetizer as a surprise, but it was the same thing you'd already had as an appetizer, and then that became the excuse for why your entree took an extra 2 hours to come out.