Author Topic: Here it is, folks - The 5 star Rolling Stone Review  (Read 3354 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Here it is, folks - The 5 star Rolling Stone Review
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
i mean would we rather they praise them all or crap on all them?

i'm okay with them over praising. but i dont pay attention to review by anyone.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 03:19:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah, how dare they give TJT Tour a positive review! Bah humbug!

When i post a review to TJT tour then feel free to comment on it.

That'd be full of sunshine and rainbows.

Anyways, bah humbug. TJT is an overrated crap album with filler songs, we all know Pop is the greatest recording U2 has ever produced.

Offline DisgruntledSherpa

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
Let's just say that Rolling Stone has never been "stingy" with stars when it comes to U2...

They gave Achtung Baby 4.5 stars. In my book that was stingy.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 06:55:17 PM »
Let's just say that Rolling Stone has never been "stingy" with stars when it comes to U2...

They gave Achtung Baby 4.5 stars. In my book that was stingy.
That might be the only case, since at least from two decades they've been throwing stars at them like there's no tomorrow

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 11:08:14 AM »
I think that five stars for NLOTH tells you all you need to know about RS...

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 04:30:56 PM »
If NLOTH was all MOS quality it would deserve 5. There's some great stuff there but also some straight up rockers that sound like HTDAAB outtakes(which they might be).

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 04:55:25 AM »
If NLOTH was all MOS quality it would deserve 5. There's some great stuff there but also some straight up rockers that sound like HTDAAB outtakes(which they might be).

It's got a pretty strong start and end to it. Shame about the trio in the middle. Would have been great to have Soon on there but I guess UC, which I love BTW, took up all the chanting space.

Offline DisgruntledSherpa

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 02:04:00 PM »

It's got a pretty strong start and end to it. Shame about the trio in the middle. Would have been great to have Soon on there but I guess UC, which I love BTW, took up all the chanting space.

Breathe should have been the first single from that album. Would've made a world of difference.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 03:07:38 PM »

Breathe should have been the first single from that album. Would've made a world of difference.

The verses of Breathe, both the words and their delivery, would have been an occasion for mockery by the non-U2 crowd far more damaging than GOYB, in my opinion.

Offline InGodsCountry

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »

I fully agree and have been saying that for a while!

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 03:25:04 PM »

I fully agree and have been saying that for a while!

I used to play the game of "They should have released X instead of Y", and probably most stand behind it regarding POP.  Gone should have been the second single, but we don't need to go down the hour long discussion of what was going on with music culture, especially in America, at the time.  Anyway....

I only say that as a preamble to the idea that "It should have been this single instead of that" is now an irrelevant discussion with U2, if you're saying it in terms of "That would have made the album a bigger hit".  U2 are never going to have a huge selling album the likes of JT or AB again.  The record industry is not the same for white guys with guitars.  And that goes double for ones in their 50's (maybe 60 by the time we see the next album).  It's just not going to be that way again.  But who cares? It doesn't matter anymore.  The percentage of "the kids" who are listening to U2 used to determine how often you'd hear them on the radio or see their videos on MTV, or whatever. IT DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE.  Anything they see fit to release is now available to you at a moment's notice, at any time.  They can put out an album whenever they want (or not). They can tour whenever they want.  Their worst case scanario is that they may have to limit the amount of times per year they play the planet's largest venues. Big deal. 

What I know for sure is that nothing for U2 is going to be changed in 2017 by the release order of singles.