Author Topic: U2's box score data  (Read 670 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
U2's box score data
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »
As the tour has now been going on for a month, am I alone in finding it odd that the numbers are still not publicly available? Any ideas as to why, as to what's taking it so long?

My suspicion is that not all of the shows are selling out (Rose Bowl 2, Houston, Chicago 2, Pittsburgh; for future shows, Tampa, Louisville, E Rutherford 2, as well as virtually all second nights in Europe), and they're trying to see how they can massage the numbers so as to still list everything as being a capacity crowd.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
Re: U2's box score data
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
I've been keeping a pretty close eye on the TM pages just for curiosity's sake, and while Pittsburgh didn't sell well, it was the upper level that didn't sell. Tampa only has nosebleeds remaining, and bad ones at that. There are some good, but expensive, seats left for Louisville.

Pittsburgh is an outlier for this tour, and in recent years,  Springsteen, the Stones and GnR all underperformed the rest of their tours with their Pittsburgh sales. This isn't a PopMart situation.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been keeping a pretty close eye on the TM pages just for curiosity's sake, and while Pittsburgh didn't sell well, it was the upper level that didn't sell. Tampa only has nosebleeds remaining, and bad ones at that. There are some good, but expensive, seats left for Louisville.

Pittsburgh is an outlier for this tour, and in recent years,  Springsteen, the Stones and GnR all underperformed the rest of their tours with their Pittsburgh sales. This isn't a PopMart situation.
The Springsteen show here back in September undersold, but not by much; it was also Springsteen's second show here that year, and I suspect that some people just decided that seeing him once that year was enough.
I was at the Stones show, and it was sold out, at capacity. With behind the stage blocked off, Heinz Field holds between 55,000-60,000, depending on how many floor tickets are available. About a week before that show, Taylor Swift played Heinz, also to a sold out crowd. I don't like her music, but I can respect her work ethic, and the fact that she's as young as she is, and already able to play to such large crowds. All the same, her tickets were on sale almost a year in advance, while the Stones managed to sell out in just a few months time (the show was in July, if I remember right, with tickets going on sale maybe in April).

I was also at the Guns N' Roses show, and, given how overbooked that tour was (unnecessarily playing to tons of cities that are near each other, many of them smaller markets), it sold remarkable well. If I remember right, they put something like 42,000 tickets on sale, and managed to sell all but 3,000 of them. Ticket sales wise, they still made somewhere between $3-4 million. Also, in interviews, they readily admitted that they knew that not all shows would sell out, yet that they wanted to play these smaller markets, basically as a gift to their fans who lived there. Look at the numbers posted on the Wikipedia page for that tour, and they've still managed to sell something like 97% of tickets.

The same goes for the U2 show at Heinz Field last night. Before making the trek down, I crunched the numbers on Ticketmaster. Unchecking resale tickets, they still sold almost 98% of available tickets for last night. The stadium also sold "only" 8,000 tickets for the field (I think that I had read that it was more like 11,000 for Vancouver?). Regardless, in regards to people saying that the field was half-empty, I was also at Chicago 2, and it was roughly the same as there, judging from my birdseye view (I was GA last night, but nosebleeds for Chitown).

Offline mattbel123

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
Unless you're a country act no one is selling out Pittsburgh, especially stadiums.