Author Topic: Hot Press Article - New Song Title Mentioned "American Soul"  (Read 4844 times)

Offline fna692002

• Babyface
Anybody get a chance to read the full article? Mentions a new song title called American Soul, which from the sound of things is the song Kendrick Lamar used in some capacity in XXX. Best Thing is still currently the first single. Apologies if this has been posted already feel free to delete.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:02:27 AM by fna692002 »

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
Re: Hot Press Article - New Song Title Mentioned "American Soul"
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »
You're the first, I think  :).

I'm not a big fan of songs from U2 about places where I haven't been. Only the ones who live there will understand the song.

But
it was a chill part on XXX. So I'm looking forward to the song!

Folks, we could get a very good album! There already three songs to look forward
  • Fender song (could be two songs)
  • Instagram song
  • This song

We already have a pretty decent post pop song: Little Things let's see what the studio version brings :)
About The Best Thing.. yeah. Probably not my favorite, but could work on radio. My little sister liked it. And it won't bring the album down. We have Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World*, The Fly yet to come!

*(I like that song. But for the comparison)

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »
I can't even find this article. Can anybody else provide a link?

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 04:49:26 PM »
I found an article about the article, but that's about it:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 06:08:19 PM »
I found an article about the article, but that's about it:

Yeah, I also found that one. It may have been deleted or something, it shouldn't be so hard to find.

monopoly

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 06:14:43 PM »
This is going to be their most diverse album

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:30:15 AM »
It very well could be, however U2 are greatly restricting themselves with this Songs of Experience title.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 01:29:18 AM »
It very well could be, however U2 are greatly restricting themselves with this Songs of Experience title.

I don't think so. It is all starting to feel stale though...

Offline DisgruntledSherpa

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »
You're the first, I think  :).

I'm not a big fan of songs from U2 about places where I haven't been. Only the ones who live there will understand the song.

But
it was a chill part on XXX. So I'm looking forward to the song!

Folks, we could get a very good album! There already three songs to look forward
  • Fender song (could be two songs)
  • Instagram song
  • This song

We already have a pretty decent post pop song: Little Things let's see what the studio version brings :)
About The Best Thing.. yeah. Probably not my favorite, but could work on radio. My little sister liked it. And it won't bring the album down. We have Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World*, The Fly yet to come!

*(I like that song. But for the comparison)

For anyone who listened to the U Talking U2 to Me podcast when they had U2 on, the Scotts said that afterwards Bono played them 5 songs all of which they thought were amazing and finished. I think they said there were two rockers and two really big stadium anthems. They didn't mention anything more because they wanted to respect that Bono was nice enough to let them hear the tunes so they didn't even say anything about titles or lyrics.

After their latest show, they spoke about "the Little Things" and said that "Little Things" was not one of the five they heard.

So, yes, we could be in for a great album. If Adam Scott Aukerman is to be believed and if the band didn't scrap those fives songs over the past two years....

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 11:48:45 AM »
Dallas Schoo recently said that the new album on the way is really good.  When asked about whether it will have the rocking sound that Adam posted online, Dallas said there are some rockers, but many "heartfelt" songs.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »

The longer that it takes for U2 to finish and release SOE, the less interest the band will have in their current palate of songs. It should be difficult to tie this record into SOI, thematically, when you take 2.5+ years to release what should have been a companion album.

Eventually, those older projects get shoved in the back while U2 focus on their newer material (which is America Soul, in this case). That's what happened with the Rick Rubin sessions. That is likely what happened with Songs of Ascent.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »

The longer that it takes for U2 to finish and release SOE, the less interest the band will have in their current palate of songs. It should be difficult to tie this record into SOI, thematically, when you take 2.5+ years to release what should have been a companion album.

Eventually, those older projects get shoved in the back while U2 focus on their newer material (which is America Soul, in this case). That's what happened with the Rick Rubin sessions. That is likely what happened with Songs of Ascent.

Yeah I agree. I do think the little things is one of the best things Bono has written in years and years though. I hope the studio version is a belter.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »

i dont really think so. i mean "how to dismantle an atomic bomb" that was a HORRIBLE title and had nothing to do with the album. fast cars got cut for godsake.

and about the Schoo comments. what's the dude gonna say? "hey man lemme tell you something....it SUCKS. i mean you guys are gonna be SO disappointed....k bye."

Offline wambui24

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »
and about the Schoo comments. what's the dude gonna say? "hey man lemme tell you something....it SUCKS. i mean you guys are gonna be SO disappointed....k bye."
[/quote]

Big giggles!   ;D

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 06:16:28 AM »

Big giggles!   ;D
[/quote]

i dont really think so. i mean "how to dismantle an atomic bomb" that was a HORRIBLE title and had nothing to do with the album. fast cars got cut for godsake.

True.  The point here is that he seemed to imply there are more heartfelt songs than rockers.