Author Topic: Let's be honest about U2's set list this tour  (Read 16812 times)

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Let's be honest about U2's set list this tour
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
its too short!!! only 2 hours?? come on. a band of u2's status has gotta play at least 2:15 to 2:30. a short pearl jam show is 2:30, theyve been consistently pushing 3 hours the last few years. springsteen plays about 3 hrs every nite. i just saw metallica and they played around 2:15.

the setlist would be fine if they would add 2 or 3 more songs.

Someone did a tour-by-tour comparison and the I&E dates seemed to be a bit of an anomaly for them in terms of doing a few more songs. They've usually hit the 20 song, 2 hour threshold in the past though, and most acts don't even make it to that these days. The ones that get closer to 3 hours are rare and, honestly, you probably lose a bit of the audience towards the end anyway unless you absolutely have them on their feet at the end.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2017, 06:11:59 AM »
its too short!!! only 2 hours?? come on. a band of u2's status has gotta play at least 2:15 to 2:30. a short pearl jam show is 2:30, theyve been consistently pushing 3 hours the last few years. springsteen plays about 3 hrs every nite. i just saw metallica and they played around 2:15.

the setlist would be fine if they would add 2 or 3 more songs.

Someone did a tour-by-tour comparison and the I&E dates seemed to be a bit of an anomaly for them in terms of doing a few more songs. They've usually hit the 20 song, 2 hour threshold in the past though, and most acts don't even make it to that these days. The ones that get closer to 3 hours are rare and, honestly, you probably lose a bit of the audience towards the end anyway unless you absolutely have them on their feet at the end.

Interesting point.  I+E also featured no opening act.  The fact that tour featured more songs per night is probably directly related to that.

Offline corduroyg

• Babyface
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2017, 09:57:52 AM »
i dont understand why they have to play bad OR a sort of homecoming. play asoh in the pre jt set, then bad in the encore. or why ultraviolet OR mysterious ways. its like they have a strict 2 hr limit on this tour for some reason. playing for 20 more minutes would make such a huge difference.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »
i dont understand why they have to play bad OR a sort of homecoming. play asoh in the pre jt set, then bad in the encore. or why ultraviolet OR mysterious ways. its like they have a strict 2 hr limit on this tour for some reason. playing for 20 more minutes would make such a huge difference.

It may not seem like it, but I'm betting big stadium shows like this have some very specific stipulations on how long each act is to play, curfews, things like that.  When they played slightly longer on I+E, there was no opening act.

monopoly

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »

It may not seem like it, but I'm betting big stadium shows like this have some very specific stipulations on how long each act is to play, curfews, things like that.  When they played slightly longer on I+E, there was no opening act.

The band is the one setting the stipulation. The only thing they have to worry about is not going past curfew or else they lose $1000 per concert. 360 tour was 24 songs and that was outdoors.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:36 PM »
Every show without A Sort Of Homecoming is a lesser show to me. It has been the highlight of the setlist so far.

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2017, 11:30:07 PM »

Yes there are usually strict stipulations at most stadiums. Which routinely get ignored. For example, Levi's Stadium gig had a curfew of 10pm. U2 played until 11pm.

Offline Lobmans

• Babyface
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2017, 03:26:18 AM »

Yes there are usually strict stipulations at most stadiums. Which routinely get ignored. For example, Levi's Stadium gig had a curfew of 10pm. U2 played until 11pm.

Maybe the curfews are more strict in US than in Europe? As far as I know, outdoor concerts ending after 11PM, aren't a big issue in Europe (or at least, not in Belgium). So maybe this will have influence on the setlists in Europe?

Offline peggy2ten

• Stateless
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2017, 08:18:52 AM »
I'm not quite as concerned about the length of the show as about the lack of variety.  Saw them in Tampa, Philly and DC and the only set list change was swapping Mysterious Ways for Ultraviolet in Philadelphia.  While Bad is still one of my favorite songs, I really thought I'd have a chance to hear ASOH at one of the three.  Except  for the Joshua Tree rarities, it's turned into a greatest hits show, but I guess that's what the stadium crowds want.  Just as well that I can't go to any of the Fall shows.

Offline Lobmans

• Babyface
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
I'm not quite as concerned about the length of the show as about the lack of variety.  Saw them in Tampa, Philly and DC and the only set list change was swapping Mysterious Ways for Ultraviolet in Philadelphia.  While Bad is still one of my favorite songs, I really thought I'd have a chance to hear ASOH at one of the three.  Except  for the Joshua Tree rarities, it's turned into a greatest hits show, but I guess that's what the stadium crowds want.  Just as well that I can't go to any of the Fall shows.

99,9% of the fans only goes to 1 concert per tour, so I think the "lack of variety"-problem is a little bit overrated. And everybody has his one favorites, so for each played song that YOU like, there will be a song NOT played that somebody else likes.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »
99,9% of the fans only goes to 1 concert per tour, so I think the "lack of variety"-problem is a little bit overrated. And everybody has his one favorites, so for each played song that YOU like, there will be a song NOT played that somebody else likes.

Yep.  The obsessives that attend multiple shows (hey, I was one at one point of my life) are a distinct minority.  For the cost of tickets (for actual seats), and the amount of effort and planning required to even attend these shows, one is plenty for me.

Every show without A Sort Of Homecoming is a lesser show to me. It has been the highlight of the setlist so far.

This is the one complaint I'll go along with.  The song is rare enough, and the fact that they considered it enough for the initial setlists--and it's thematic relevance to doing TJT in full--it's the one thing that probably disappointed me most with my show, and only afterwards, when I started checking out previous setlists.  If you were to make a list of songs I've never seen live that I most want to see, this would be at the top.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
I'd like to see more posts that start with 'I don't like that U2 ______________' rather than 'I don't understand why U2 ____________.'

These questions have been answered 17 million times, and that doesn't mean that you have to like it. I hate summer. It is too hot, but I understand why it is hot.

Hate that they play Elevation all you want. I don't like it either.
But as for why? If you really don't understand, read the posts here; there's a reason for just about everything. Doesn't make it a good reason, and it certainly doesn't mean you have to like it, but there is some method behind the madness.

Why don't they play Pop? Because it was a commercial disaster, the tour tanked in the U.S. and the critics destroyed them.
Why don't they play for 3 hours like Bruce? Because Bruce is a freak of nature. U2 didn't play for more than 2:15 minutes when they were 30. Why would they at 57? What, you think Bono's vocal stamina is improving with age? That would be some trick.
Why are ticket prices so high? Have you seen the stage? Have you seen what bands with 1/4 the career that U2 have had are charging? Have you see what U2's peers are charging? And have you seen THEIR stage? It ain't what U2 are bringing to town. Bet that.
Why are they doing this tour? According to them, because they want to. If you don't believe them, take it up with U2.
Why isn't SOE out yet? Because they aren't ready to release it yet. Again, if you think there is some kind of conspiracy is afoot, then you think they are a bunch of liars, and I question why you are even taking the time to read this.
Why are they playing so many hits? Because this is a retrospective tour in stadiums full of casual fans who spent a lot of money on tickets. Secondly, they are just human beings and they have feelings too. No artist, not U2 and not some hack playing the lounge on Friday night, wants to be ignored. Bono doesn't want to see people on their phones or heading to the bathroom as he sings Your Blue Room any more than you would if you were in his shoes.

I guess I am just getting cranky in my old age. :)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:11:14 PM by Saint1322 »

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
I'd like to see more posts that start with 'I don't like that U2 ______________' rather than 'I don't understand why U2 ____________.'

These questions have been answered 17 million times, and that doesn't mean that you have to like it. I hate summer. It is too hot, but I understand why it is hot.

But as for why? If you really don't understand, read the posts here; there's a reason for just about everything. Doesn't make it a good reason, and it certainly doesn't mean you have to like it, but there is some method behind the madness.

Why don't they play Pop? Because it was a commercial disaster, the tour tanked in the U.S. and the critics destroyed them.
Why don't they play for 3 hours like Bruce? Because Bruce is a freak of nature. U2 didn't play for more than 2:15 minutes when they were 30. Why would they at 57? What, you think Bono's vocal stamina is improving with age? That would be some trick.
Why are ticket prices so high? Have you seen the stage? Have you seen what bands with 1/4 the career that U2 have had are charging? Have you see what U2's peers are charging? And have you seen THEIR stage? It ain't what U2 are bringing to town. Bet that.
Why are they doing this tour? According to them, because they want to. If you don't believe them, take it up with U2.
Why isn't SOE out yet? Because they aren't ready to release it yet. Again, if you think there is some kind of conspiracy is afoot, then you think they are a bunch of liars, and I question why you are even taking the time to read this.
Why are they playing so many hits? Because this is a retrospective tour in stadiums full of casual fans who spent a lot of money on tickets. Secondly, they are just human beings and they have feelings too. No artist, not U2 and not some hack playing the lounge on Friday night, wants to be ignored. Bono doesn't want to see people on their phones or heading to the bathroom as he sings Your Blue Room any more than you would if you were in his shoes.

Preach!

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »

Preach!
well said !

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2017, 04:22:02 PM »

Well put...this pretty much sums it up.