Author Topic: Atlanta?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline argecash

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Atlanta?
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »
Is there any update regarding an Atlanta show in September?

Offline thistrain

• Babyface
Re: Atlanta?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »
Nothing yet, rather a rumored date in Phoenix in that same time frame instead, after St. Louis and before San Diego.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »
Looks like the Phoenix show replaced Atlanta. Wonderful...

Offline argecash

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:38:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Looks like the Phoenix show replaced Atlanta. Wonderful...

NOOOOOOOO

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »
Kansas City, New Orleans, Buffalo, Phoenix, St Louis, Louisville, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Detroit, San Diego

And no Atlanta

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:41:44 AM »
Phoenix is live on U2.com

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:49:25 AM »
They could always tack it on at the end, but I seriously doubt it at this point. The stadium uncertainty doomed Atlanta this time, I think.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »
I don't quite get it, won't the Mercedes Benz stadium be up and running for football by then? Although the NFL might have some sort of legal hold on other events for the time being.

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 09:54:46 AM »
They just should do Turner. No one is using it besides Georgia State's football team

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 12:01:32 PM »
I don't return why they aren't doing Atlanta, Georgia State just renovated their stadium and you've got Mercedes-Benz...

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
OK, one more time ... this is WHY. You don't have to agree or like it, but this is the answer, right here:

U2 have already played Louisville, outside Nashville for Bonnaroo, Tampa, two shows in Texas, Miami, and Washington DC, which is further south than you might realize.

When the tour was first announced, IF Atlanta didn't have the stadium issues, it would have been there. But at the time, the Georiga Dome was being dismantled and the new dome not only wasn't ready yet, but was behind schedule. In the time since, U2 have have played the above dates. For this additional run, they have added NOLA and St. Louis.

There is a BIG difference between playing the new dome and the former Turner Field. It isn't as easy as just picking one or the other. There's probably a difference of about 35,000-40,000 seats between those two venues.

IMO, they are waiting to see how NOLA sells before committing an Atlanta show at all, or which venue to play. It is just that simple. If NOLA sells out or sells very well, they have a week between San Diego and Mexico to tack on an Atlanta show. If not, they won't.

It is highly unusual for a stadium tour to hit every single available event in the greater Southeast. Someone usually gets left out, and it looks like this time it is going to be Atlanta because of the reasons I cited above.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 01:44:29 PM »
While the Georgia Dome replacement is behind schedule, I believe that the old Turner Field is also under renovation? But, what about the new baseball stadium? It's not like the Braves will be in playoff season then, given their stats these past several seasons.

Also, why not Bobby Dodd Stadium? Didn't the Stones play there on their Zip Code tour 2 years ago?

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 01:52:45 PM »
While the Georgia Dome replacement is behind schedule, I believe that the old Turner Field is also under renovation? But, what about the new baseball stadium? It's not like the Braves will be in playoff season then, given their stats these past several seasons.

Also, why not Bobby Dodd Stadium? Didn't the Stones play there on their Zip Code tour 2 years ago?

Baseball season is still going on in September, even for non-playoff teams.
Yes, Turner Field is still being renovated. It would be ready in September, but it wouldn't have been ready last week, when the Atlanta date would have likely been scheduled.

As for why they didn't just play Dodd Stadium last week, I have no idea, but that's a good question. Logistics of moving the stage around?

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 02:03:39 PM »

Baseball season is still going on in September, even for non-playoff teams.
Yes, Turner Field is still being renovated. It would be ready in September, but it wouldn't have been ready last week, when the Atlanta date would have likely been scheduled.

As for why they didn't just play Dodd Stadium last week, I have no idea, but that's a good question. Logistics of moving the stage around?
they should just play Nashville so we can go again. We have so many music fans it would sell even with Bonnaroo and Louisville

Offline Johnny_Mac12

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »

The Stones at Bobby Dodd was amazing! Despite the stadium being one of the oldest and worst I've ever been to, it is a great concert venue. I'd rather see U2 there than the new Falcons' stadium because it is open air. The sound is terrible in a dome and probably only a little better with a roof that partially opens.

A radio station suggested U2 as a possible headliner for Music Midtown. I seriously doubt it because that would mean 1) two nights playing in a row and 2) two music festivals in the same region of the country. But the date would be just a day sooner than the rumored show at Turner Field (September 17).