Author Topic: Bringing a real camera.  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Ginapier@msn.com

• Babyface
Re: Bringing a real camera.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pick up a Canon SX280hs or similar camera and use that for photos from GA at concerts. It's small enough that no venue will ban it, but has an expanding lens that takes great shots from far away. See here for some shots I took at a recent U2 concert: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I would not bring a camera with a huge lens (like a DSLR) to GA. Not only will it get tiring holding it all night, but it will probably annoy the people around you.

Great shots!

Offline brupars

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »
Here's a set shot with the Sony a6300 + 50mm F1.8 OSS . You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Canon G Series cameras are another popular choice. The Sony has a big APS-C sensor which also helps image quality. I was told many years ago that the best zoom is your feet. In this context, that means get to the rail. That set was shot from the top of the Tree, so it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Tree stage lighting is brighter than main stage too.

Amazing pics! You are quite the photographer! Thanks for sharing!
The Flickr set is mine, the u2start.com set is by Remy. Agreed, he's got some amazing shots. I think he's been doing it for years and has found a pretty ideal concert set up. You might think that a fixed 50mm lens would be limiting, though 24mp files crop very well. In effect, a 300mm F1.8 if you use a 25% crop, with the 1.5x APS-C sensor crop factor as compared to full frame 35mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 02:49:24 AM »
The  an era itself, whilst important, is no match for good position. Zoom will never do what position can.

Here's a selection of u2 shots I've taken over the years with point and shoot film, digital and top end gear. The one thing they all have in  common is position. None are from the back row with a zoom.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 06:31:52 AM by briscoetheque »