Author Topic: What's that foot keyboard Adam plays during some songs?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
What's that foot keyboard Adam plays during some songs?
« on: June 20, 2017, 06:58:41 PM »
At least 2 songs I saw Adam play his miniature foot keyboard. One song is Mothers of the Disappeared.

Why can't he play the same notes on his bass?

Also, I saw his tech Stuart Morgan set up the foot keyboard and big, laminated notes were pasted on the keyboard. "C" "D" "E" "F" "G" and so on  ;D

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
Re: What's that foot keyboard Adam plays during some songs?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »
They're synth bass pedals.  He used them on the original JT tour! So basically they create low end synth sounds.  I believe he plays them during Exit as well.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 06:14:11 AM »
As for the big labels, I'm sure the lighting and stuff can make it hard to see things.  Anything to simplify or have it make more sense is warranted.

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »
They are Moog Taurus 3 Bass Pedals.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The pedals create the *deep* notes you really feel.  He uses them on Streets, Exit, and a few other songs.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:51:04 AM by jgrooms »

monopoly

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 11:57:19 AM »
They are Moog Taurus 3 Bass Pedals.

The pedals create the *deep* notes you really feel.  He uses them on Streets, Exit, and a few other songs.

Is his tech playing streets? Adams on the b stage

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »

Could be, hard to say.  Could also be a backing track.  Adam used to always play his pedals on Streets years ago (you can see this on the Rattle and Hum movie).  He moved away from them lately on that song (but the low end is still there) so I am not really sure who or what is playing them but they are there.  Actually this is the first tour they have actually been visible on stage with him playing them.  I thought he gave up on them and just used backing tracks now.  I like they are back.

The new Taurus 3 pedals have midi control (unlike Adam's vintage Taurus II pedals used on the original tour) so they can easily be played by their "hidden" keyboard player from offstage.  A simple midi controller (keys) and a midi cable out to the pedals and a keyboard player could play them just as if Adam was there.  If I had to guess, and its just a guess, this is what they are doing.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:49:27 PM by jgrooms »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:57:47 PM »

Could be, hard to say.  Could also be a backing track.  Adam used to always play his pedals on Streets years ago (you can see this on the Rattle and Hum movie).  He moved away from them lately on that song (but the low end is still there) so I am not really sure who or what is playing them but they are there.  Actually the is the first tour they have actually been visible on stage with him playing them.  I thought he gave up on them and just used backing tracks now.  I like they are back.

The new Taurus 3 pedals have midi control (unlike Adam's vintage Taurus II pedals used on the original tour) so they can easily be played by their "hidden" keyboard player from offstage.  A simple midi controller (keys) and a midi cable out to the pedals and a keyboard player could play them just as if Adam was there.  If I had to guess, and its just a guess, this is what they are doing.

I seriously would be SUPER curious to know exactly how they do everything in their shows.  Backing tapes, hidden musicians, foot triggers, etc.  I'm fairly convinced there's been a second guitarist on BTBS, since the band has tended not to play things the same way twice, but I would LOVE to see exactly how they set everything up for a show.

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 03:07:33 PM »
I seriously would be SUPER curious to know exactly how they do everything in their shows.  Backing tapes, hidden musicians, foot triggers, etc.  I'm fairly convinced there's been a second guitarist on BTBS, since the band has tended not to play things the same way twice, but I would LOVE to see exactly how they set everything up for a show.

Most bands fill out their sound with supplemental musicians and backing tracks these days.  U2 is one of the few bands (I know about anyway) that keeps their supplemental musician off stage.  For example, Muse (a 3 piece) adds a 4th guy for keyboards and other instruments but he is on stage with them.  The Killers add 2 additional guys, once again onstage.

U2 uses both backing tracks and their hidden keyboard musician.

If you are interested most of the tours get a write up in the trade magazines:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:14:52 PM by jgrooms »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 04:21:34 PM »

Most bands fill out their sound with supplemental musicians and backing tracks these days.  U2 is one of the few bands (I know about anyway) that keeps their supplemental musician off stage.  For example, Muse (a 3 piece) adds a 4th guy for keyboards and other instruments but he is on stage with them.  The Killers add 2 additional guys, once again onstage.

U2 uses both backing tracks and their hidden keyboard musician.

If you are interested most of the tours get a write up in the trade magazines:

That's good stuff. I know U2 have used (and continue to use) both tapes and at least one extra musician. I would just love to know exactly what parts are being done by each, how they decide on the live arrangements and what parts will be done by each, who the extra musician(s) are, etc. I'm less interested in the audio engineering specs than I am the creative decision-making. Even stuff like having one of the guys (Adam or Larry, can't remember) play a keyboard during Vertigo. Did they ask to do it? Were they asked to? What was the reasoning? Etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline DerekBarnett

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 06:18:04 AM »
Adam is definitely playing the pedals on Streets. That's one reason he is the first off the high riser and strolls over to them. You can see in a few vids that he is playing the pedals at the exact same time the low notes come. If he were not playing, he wouldn't rush over to them.

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
Adam brought the pedals back this tour because it's the JT tour again, but also probably because he'd always used them when playing Exit and Mothers (and maybe something else?) Streets has just been a track (or Terry) for a while now, but it would make sense for him to do it live considering he has the pedals.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
Adam is definitely playing the pedals on Streets. That's one reason he is the first off the high riser and strolls over to them. You can see in a few vids that he is playing the pedals at the exact same time the low notes come. If he were not playing, he wouldn't rush over to them.

;D I just thought he didn't like the obcious photo-op, so always leaves first. Now I need to hear youtube vids (with headphones) of the JT2017 Mothers, Exit and Streets.

I could not hear the synth pedals at all on Mothers, while I was at the show  :(