Author Topic: Cleveland night appreciation  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
Cleveland night appreciation
« on: July 02, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »
OMG !!! What a night !! ..came on rather late then expected (9.35 pm ??).Right off the bat Bono mentioned last night for North American leg for a while .. lets make it a special memory !! .indeed it was..No setlist surprises-as this tour -is  limited set list -  but what a Cleveland night it was ! Bono sounded tighter more so then usual, maybe because his wife Ali was there ??  what a special one.. We were about 4-5th row GA floor .. funny thing was everyone around us was from Michigan..(as we were)Cool moment around 5 pm Bono came out to GA line outside  and shook many many hands and signed autographs.. he took selfies with them..good man..! As a fan who's seen them many times I wish they skipped Vertigo , Beautiful day or perhaps Mysterious ways..but those had a great crowd respond anyways ..All in all-what a production..Incredible night Cleveland..Good luck Europe !!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:34:43 AM by Yaro »

Offline WildBilly34

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Cleveland night appreciation
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »
I agree!
This was my 13th U2 show and it ranks right up there with the best of them.
We sat in the dogpound so the screen looked like it was set up just for us.
When that road appeared on the screen for Streets it was truly a jaw dropping experience.
Perfect weather and an awesome playlist.
And a great crowd!
The only time anyone sat was for Miss Sarajevo but then of course everyone got up to help pass the banner around the stadium.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »
Loved it!  There's something so iconic, so larger than life, about U2 playing TJT in full.  For some reason, the most goosebumps inducing moment of the night for me was "Running to stand still"... it was just so surreal. 

Unfortunately, I had to hear "Exit" from inside the Port-a-Jon at the back of the floor... couldn't wait. 

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »
   Just returned from Cleveland.  It was such a special and awe-inspiring experience.  This was my tenth U2 concert and I think it was my favorite overall.  Just something very special about hearing those grand, elegant songs presented in their original order, just as though you were listening at home on an album. The opening chords of "Streets" brought tears to my eyes.  I saw them in Cleveland 30 years ago in the old baseball stadium, and this show was actually much better. 
     Bono very graciously came out for awhile to sign autographs, even though he had already been in Canada helping the Canadians celebrate their 150th birthday.  I just missed getting his autograph, but it was amazing seeing him up close nevertheless--not more than four feet away! He was so kind and patient as he took time to smile and chat.

Offline typecase

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 02:28:17 PM »
It was a great show. Beth, the woman dancing on Stage in Mysterious Ways, really stole her moment in the spotlight. It was great to see Bono mention Ali right after that happened.  ;D

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 06:24:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It was a great show. Beth, the woman dancing on Stage in Mysterious Ways, really stole her moment in the spotlight. It was great to see Bono mention Ali right after that happened.  ;D
ha, u ain't  kidding,Beth was awesome..did u catch bono saying right after I ve never seen anything like it.!!..somebody posted entire concert in 4k quality on YouTube and it took me right back to that moment...Beth did
 An amazing job !!  How  about edge,s wife on the video screen forever swinging that laso..she,s in great shape..she was the original belly dancer after all,lol..what a great night

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 07:59:01 AM »
Took my 10 year old to Cleveland for her second ever U2 show. On the ride home:
Me- What was your favorite song?
Her- I don't remember the name, but it is the one about Martin Luther King.
Me- That's called Pride. I think mine might be Ultraviolet, but it is tough to choose.
Her- Yeah, they had the video about the power of the people, that was really cool!

Thanks to U2 for making songs with a heart and a message! Great night all around!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 09:58:22 AM »
This was my niece's (she's 11) first U2 show and she was blown away by it. She's been listening to them for 6 months, working on learning the songs, talking excitedly about the concert etc. Although being GA was a little rough on her, she said it was totally worth it to be mere feet away from the band. She was all smiles and singing when the band took the stage.

On the drive home the next day, I told her to pick what we'd listen to and she picked the full Achtung Baby album. A child after my own heart.  ;D

I took her older sister to this show as well as Pittsburgh, and she, too, had an insanely good time. She thought this show was even better than Pitt, and I'd agree. Both sisters are really, really excited about the next show in September.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »
Fantastic show! It was my third of the tour and I have three more to go. I do hope that by September they do mix up the beginning and the encore, just to be a bit wild!

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fantastic show! It was my third of the tour and I have three more to go. I do hope that by September they do mix up the beginning and the encore, just to be a bit wild!
Wonder if they tweak setlist a bit after couple months in Europe...hoping for another epic show in Detroit,labor day weekend...another GA...it's gonna be hard to top the Cleveland show...it was a special night indeed

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 06:40:25 PM »
I think the Cleveland concert was the best I've ever seen--the city of Cleveland is awesome, easy to walk, and friendly.  The night was warm and clear; the audience was hugely into it.  Loved the anticipation leading up to the concert as we read the beautiful poetry streaming on the screen and listened to some gorgeous tunes from Simple Minds (New Gold Dream album--one of my all time favorites, MGMT--Electric Feel, a perfect concert lead-in song, and the Waterboys "Whole of the Moon").  Seeing Larry slowly saunter to the drum set and bang into "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was a thrill I'll long remember. 

Offline Ultravioletem

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »
My 10th U2 show and 2nd of the tour. Blew my mind. I still have 2 more shows to go in the fall, but as of right now, 2nd favorite show of theirs on my personal chart.

Offline jampot

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
As someone going to the London1 how well do you guys think the screen will work during show. I would it be pretty light for the most of it. Will it loose something or be powerful enough?

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »
They didn't use the screen until several songs in, so it was quite dark by that time.  I would think it would lose quite a bit.  Plus a lot of the videos were America-centric (i.e. Edge's wife painting an American flag on a shack), so you could see something quite different there.

Offline teacher_mommy_u2fan

• Stateless
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »
We loved every minute of it! We took our 4 kids (21, 17, 12, and almost 8) and they had an awesome time. It was the perfect first concert for the youngest 3. Bad, Exit, and Ultraviolet were my highlights. It was the first time I heard Ultraviolet live and I had waited 25 years for it. I was not disappointed by a single moment of the night. I cannot wait for St. Louis.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:08:51 AM by teacher_mommy_u2fan »