Author Topic: Croke Park Review  (Read 1625 times)

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
Croke Park Review
« on: July 23, 2017, 07:48:30 AM »
Trying to process my thoughts and it is a mix of euphoria tinged with disappointment...

I am lucky enough to have seen U2 twice on this tour having seen them in Rome last week too. Looking at it completely objectively I have to say that the Rome concert was superior in almost every aspect. Firstly, the Dublin curfew doesn't help. In Rome the lads did not take to the stage until 9.20pm, by which time the entire stadium was buzzing with anticipation. It also meant that we got the full effects of the stage show, for example nobody even saw Larry walk down the b-stage at the start so when the drums to SBS kicked in it was a big surprise.

Secondly, almost the entire crowd in Rome was comprised of young, rowdy and extremely vocal LOCAL fans. I wouldn't begrudge anybody who puts their hand in their pocket to travel abroad to see U2 but I must admit it was a bit weird being at a concert in Dublin and feeling like the only Irish person there. I'd imagine it was a bit odd for the band too when they arrived on stage to see a sea of Belgians in front of them. I know they tried to address this on the I&E tour by giving presale codes to fans with an Irish address but that was obviously just a once off. It's great for the local economy to have thousands coming from abroad for U2 but doesn't do much for atmosphere. Most of these people are part of well-organised (almost militant) U2 fan clubs in Holland, Belgium, etc. Why is there no Irish fan club?!

Several people have mentioned this before but for the first hour I thought it was gearing up to be an epic evening but then it just died. I was sure they would have added in one or two extra songs (Sort of Homecoming or I Will Follow) but they didn't bother.

It was my third U2 concert at Croke Park and once again it wasn't quite what I hoped it would be. I hope they will return to indoor shows again soon.

That air corps fly-by during Streets will stay in my memory forever though!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Croke Park Review
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 08:51:55 AM »
Seems the band are being very lazy with the setlist....would a surprise or two really be too much to ask at their hometown gig.

I get that they have it nailed down at this stage and that of course the encore has those three songs that despite their debatable quality do rock the house but for me surely a little something extra/special at home would be a good idea.

I suppose though u2 have always been this way and in their minds they have a show that works that has the arc and flow they want and when they take it to a city it is 'new' to that city and they want people to see it.....the flipside is Dublin isn't just any city is it - it is their home city and for my money it would be good if you just give your home city something extra and special....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:57:13 AM by an tha »

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »
Yeah, I saw them in Dublin on the I&E tour, and, while the show was ontologically good, it was the same, identical setlist as the opening night in belfast a few nights before. If I remember right, though, Belfast got the much coveted Shines Like Stars snippet.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »
I also thought there would have been a little something extra  track wise for there home town show a 22 track setlist Twickenham i believe still holds the longest set on this EU run as said the curfew may not have helped from the Streets vid i seen earlier loads of GA space like was @ Twickenham must be a H&S thing

Love watching R T S S & I G C & R H M T from all the shows tho

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »
Perhaps by keeping the setlist basically the same they don't want to disappoint those who have been to previous shows plus these songs at this point don't need much rehearsals. I think they want everyonne to be happy so people don't complain that one city got some extras and others did not. The speeches are the lead ins to the songs I guess they don't want to mix it up.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »
I was there too and agree!

First hour absolutely epic but the second one was so meh and forgettable!

The Dublin show myth is well and truly gone at this stage. They are basically a theatre show, so very little room for improvising.

I reckon the crowd was around 60% foreign too!

They really are showing their age though, which is totally fine.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 02:54:17 PM »
The age is there no doubt  Let's see what happens next with the new album.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
Is Dublin not really a home crowd for them anymore?  Could it be that U2 doesn't have as strong of a following in Ireland as they once had?

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is Dublin not really a home crowd for them anymore?  Could it be that U2 doesn't have as strong of a following in Ireland as they once had?

Cheap flights and online sales and the myth of "seeing u2 on home soil" has ironically removed the home crowd.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 03:54:05 PM »
I read that U2 are not that popular in Ireland they think they are pompuous don't shoot the messenger I read it on an Irish article leading up to the show. Plus the tax issue.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:15:57 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 04:50:15 PM »
In pitch 2 (closest area to the stage) there were almost no Irish but everything else (Belgians, Dutchmen, Germans, Spanish and a lot of Americans).
It was easy to get a good spot close to the center of the main stage without queing, the seating area's only started filling after NG & HFB had finished, compared to Rome where the stadium was almost packed before HFB even started.
The band was great, and the sound was the best out of 4 concerts I saw this tour (maybe because I was closest to the stage), but there was something lacking and that was crowd enthousiasm (by U2 standards).
Compared to London 1 and Berlin, response in the GA crowd, (singing, dancing, jumping) was considerably weaker, although also depending on the area in the pitch. In Rome (only location where I had a "seating" ticket) people were dancing, clapping and even jumping at the back of the stadium. Unfortenately, the area where I was standing in Dublin was very tame, with people silent and glued to the floor, other area's were better but they did not "explode" like in Berlin.

I do not regret comming to Dublin, really enjoyed the music, the sound and seeing the band up close, but it was the worst crowd out of 4. Why this was the case is not clear to me, one would expect travelling fans to be more driven and thus more prone to making it a party. Two guesses: higher average age and more americans, which are generally more subdued than european crowds (check the DVD's for this).

(On the flight back to Brussels, I estimate that at least 1/4 of the full Airbus 320 consisted of concert tourists).

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 05:08:51 PM »
I read that U2 are not that popular in Ireland they think they are pompuous don't shoot the messenger I read it on an Irish article leading up to the show. Plus the tax issue.

Rubbish, it's the same as it always was. Tickets for the gig were like gold dust. The foreign hard core fans are always gonna get them before the casuals bother trying.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »
In pitch 2 (closest area to the stage) there were almost no Irish but everything else (Belgians, Dutchmen, Germans, Spanish and a lot of Americans).
It was easy to get a good spot close to the center of the main stage without queing, the seating area's only started filling after NG & HFB had finished, compared to Rome where the stadium was almost packed before HFB even started.
The band was great, and the sound was the best out of 4 concerts I saw this tour (maybe because I was closest to the stage), but there was something lacking and that was crowd enthousiasm (by U2 standards).
Compared to London 1 and Berlin, response in the GA crowd, (singing, dancing, jumping) was considerably weaker, although also depending on the area in the pitch. In Rome (only location where I had a "seating" ticket) people were dancing, clapping and even jumping at the back of the stadium. Unfortenately, the area where I was standing in Dublin was very tame, with people silent and glued to the floor, other area's were better but they did not "explode" like in Berlin.

I do not regret comming to Dublin, really enjoyed the music, the sound and seeing the band up close, but it was the worst crowd out of 4. Why this was the case is not clear to me, one would expect travelling fans to be more driven and thus more prone to making it a party. Two guesses: higher average age and more americans, which are generally more subdued than european crowds (check the DVD's for this).

(On the flight back to Brussels, I estimate that at least 1/4 of the full Airbus 320 consisted of concert tourists).

My theory is that those coming from out of town to queue all day to get the prime spots have lost all stamina by the time the show is underway.  The fan base is getting older as well, which doesn't help with the energy level.  I just saw SPOON in Boston and to be honest, I had more fun at the show than the 2nd U2 show I saw this tour.   There is a lot that goes into a singular concert experience and it's not always the band's fault. 

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 05:42:06 PM »
I am sure whoever wrote that didn't like U2 obviously

Rubbish, it's the same as it always was. Tickets for the gig were like gold dust. The foreign hard core fans are always gonna get them before the casuals bother trying.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »
I think that U2 have decided to basically do the same show, with just minor variations from city to city.  If you're going to a second show and expecting something majorly different, you're bound to be disappointed.