Author Topic: Why is Achtung Baby U2's best album?  (Read 541 times)

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
Why is Achtung Baby U2's best album?
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
While The Joshua Tree made them superstars and sold more, Achtung Baby has better songs.

Yes, Achtung Baby is a reinvention for the band, but why is it their best and (one of?) the best album of all time?

Surely it can't just be because of them chopping down the Joshua Tree and experimenting with their sound.  It's not just because the album cover is their best or that Zoo TV was their best tour. 
Why is this collection of songs so above and beyond everything else they had done prior and done since?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:16:35 AM by andrewau2 »

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
Re: Why is Achtung Baby U2's best album?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 10:22:37 AM »
I don't think it's their best album, however it is their best album to play live. I don't even bother listening to the album anymore, just the live versions.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:24:27 AM »
Can you say, guitar work (both lead & bass)?
Can you say, lyric?
Can you say, vocals?
Can you say innovative drumming?

It's the cumulative effect...

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:02:57 AM »
I entered here expecting to read the reason why the songs are better, but I just read that the songs are better.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I entered here expecting to read the reason why the songs are better, but I just read that the songs are better.

Why are they better?

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »
U2 masterfully took a thematically dark, introspective album and wrapped it up with a convincing facade, something they later did Zooropa and Pop as well.

Lyrically, Achtung Baby is only second to Pop. Bono took inspiration from real, harsh subjects (like Edge's divorce, for example) and wrote brilliant lyrics that he later put into different contexts (Ultraviolet does a perfect job of this).

Musically, Adam experiments with funk and lays down some brilliant, groovy baselines (Zoo Station, Mysterious Ways).

Edge is all over the place on this record-- emotionally-driven solos (Love Is Blindness and Acrobat), intense, biting guitar riffs (The Fly), and bizarre effect-heavy parts that lead its listener to believe their speakers are busted (Zoo Station).

Larry's performing might be the best of career on Achtung Baby. The slow build-up to Acrobat is perfectly paired with the intense snare hits that follow. The industrialized sound of Zoo Station is musical genius.

I could go on forever because there is much to talk about...

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 12:04:39 PM »
U2 masterfully took a thematically dark, introspective album and wrapped it up with a convincing facade, something they later did Zooropa and Pop as well.

Lyrically, Achtung Baby is only second to Pop. Bono took inspiration from real, harsh subjects (like Edge's divorce, for example) and wrote brilliant lyrics that he later put into different contexts (Ultraviolet does a perfect job of this).

Musically, Adam experiments with funk and lays down some brilliant, groovy baselines (Zoo Station, Mysterious Ways).

Edge is all over the place on this record-- emotionally-driven solos (Love Is Blindness and Acrobat), intense, biting guitar riffs (The Fly), and bizarre effect-heavy parts that lead its listener to believe their speakers are busted (Zoo Station).

Larry's performing might be the best of career on Achtung Baby. The slow build-up to Acrobat is perfectly paired with the intense snare hits that follow. The industrialized sound of Zoo Station is musical genius.

Wook, this is what I said...you just said it a thousand times better! Thanks...

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »

Wook, this is what I said...you just said it a thousand times better! Thanks...
Great minds think alike!

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 01:58:53 PM »
It has the best songs.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 02:46:41 PM »
It has the best songs.
;D

Offline ME2

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 03:13:38 PM »
Because it was different. So different than anything before yet somehow still U2.

Different isn't always better but better is always different.