Author Topic: Staying Logged In  (Read 2545 times)

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
Staying Logged In
« on: September 29, 2008, 03:43:46 PM »
Assuming you don't choose to "always stay logged in", the forum is set to forget you after x minutes (default being 60 minutes).  You would think that would be 60 minutes after a period of inactivity.  But I've discovered the board forgets you even if you've been active.

You can confirm this by logging out.  Log in,  don't "always stay logged in" and choose to stay logged in for 1 minute.  Now just browse around the board and do whatever.  Keep an eye on your logged in status by looking for your name near the upper-right hand corner of the page.  It takes a little longer than a minute, maybe two, but you will be logged out regardless of your activity.

Does it make sense to behave like that?  Seems like it should only forget you after a period of inactivity.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Re: Staying Logged In
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:25:08 AM »
From a programming perspective, it makes sense that the clock starts ticking as soon as you login. It says "Stay logged in for..." and you tell it how long from that point forward you want to stay logged in.

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 08:49:23 AM »
I understand it makes sense from a "programming" perspective, I'm a programmer myself.  But it causes problem from a user perspective.  One of my sessions time-out in the middle of a post.  That's how I found out about it.  I lost my post and had to log back in and type it over again.  So I think it's poor design.  I can't think of any other site that behaves like that.  They all "forget" you after a period of inactivity.

You may not be able to control that behavior, so maybe the default time-out could be a longer period of time.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 01:28:51 PM »
I think I correctly changed it from 60 mins. to 600 minutes.....

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:48:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think I correctly changed it from 60 mins. to 600 minutes.....

Cool! that makes sense now.

Mal