Author Topic: The Blackout - first single? (based on today's emails)  (Read 30170 times)

Offline freag

• Babyface
Re: The Blackout - first single? (based on today's emails)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »
At the very bottom it can be read "U2 will announce xxxxxxxe ( release ? ) On XX/08 or 09/17

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 04:32:10 PM »
Has no one figured out what the obscured words are yet from the tiny bits of text at the top?  I can't, but I am terrible at these things.  I can barely read the puzzle correctly when it's all filled in during Wheel of Fortune.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »
who got these?  i don't think they're meant to be deciphered.

Offline Bono in love with himself

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »
Not sure I like the plan.

Sounds too much like when they shoved the album down peoples throats on iTunes.

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 05:36:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

To me it sounds like the opposite. It's old school. Written letters mailed. The iTunes experiment was trying to capitalize on technology...I could be wrong but I see this as anti technology.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:40:27 PM by Nagrom76 »

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »

To me it sounds like the opposite. It's old school. Written letters mailed. The iTunes experiment was trying to capitalize on technology...I could be wrong but I see this as anti technology.

its a gimmick

U2 need to get away from gimmicks.

the world is still very upset with their last one and hasn't forgiven them.

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »

its a gimmick

U2 need to get away from gimmicks.

the world is still very upset with their last one and hasn't forgiven them.

It only went to u2.com subscribers. Agree to disagree, I like it. It creates buzz...they can use buzz...every band attempts to create anticipation before an album release. Arcade Fire, Radiohead, NIN. I don't feel it does any harm. It has us discussing it, among many magazines and people generally not interested in the band. These days, buzz and discussion aren't a bad thing. 

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
Yes but it can turn negative and destructive very quickly like last time.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Just come out with quality and it sells itself.

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 06:26:20 PM »

Once bitten, twice shy.

I don't disagree with coming out with quality, bottom line -- that's what we all want.

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »
Come out blazing with your best song off the album and try and work it onto the Charts by turning up to the opening of an envelope if you have to and play the song both sonic and acoustic and play and tease and laugh with every music commentator journalist and vj in the business and also com out with a version that includes a Chainsmokers remix so the young crowd can dig it and call U2 sick dog!

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 06:41:01 PM »

Once bitten, twice shy.

There needs to be some kind of promotional activity. This seems harmless and targeted by comparison.
I look forward to hopefully some traditional promotion too, such as a q magazine spread, with descriptions of each song.. even if the descriptions turn out to be more exciting than the actual songs...

They will most likely try a mix of new and old promotional techniques, and wouldn't be surprised if they release a couple of singles ahead of the album release.

monopoly

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 06:47:15 PM »

Once bitten, twice shy.

There needs to be some kind of promotional activity. This seems harmless and targeted by comparison.
I look forward to hopefully some traditional promotion too, such as a q magazine spread, with descriptions of each song.. even if the descriptions turn out to be more exciting than the actual songs...

They will most likely try a mix of new and old promotional techniques, and wouldn't be surprised if they release a couple of singles ahead of the album release.

Modern promotion is very different from what it used to be. All u2 needs to do is nothing for the first single. The single is the promotion for the album. These letters are the promotion for the single.

Taylor swift is promoting her new single by posting random videos of a snake. That's getting everyone's attention right now. She hasn't said anything, just a random video and everyone knows what's up.

• Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 06:51:27 PM »

Once bitten, twice shy.

Modern promotion is very different from what it used to be. All u2 needs to do is nothing for the first single. The single is the promotion for the album. These letters are the promotion for the single.

Taylor swift is promoting her new single by posting random videos of a snake. That's getting everyone's attention right now. She hasn't said anything, just a random video and everyone knows what's up.

I think Adam needs to have an affair with Kim Kardashian and get into a spiteful twitter war with Kayne West.

That is the best promotion these days.

That will move product.

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 07:19:59 PM »

Once bitten, twice shy.

I think Adam needs to have an affair with Kim Kardashian and get into a spiteful twitter war with Kayne West.

That is the best promotion these days.

That will move product.
Just threw up a little

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 07:35:12 PM »

Once bitten, twice shy.

My daughter (23 yo) is a huge Taylor Swift fan (also a U2 fan) and she was telling me about this over the weekend. Everyone in the fandom is going crazy about those posts she said.