Author Topic: The Blackout - first single? (based on today's emails)  (Read 30153 times)

Offline Bono in love with himself

• Wanderer
Re: The Blackout - first single? (based on today's emails)
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 07:47:32 PM »
Clearly Adam, Paul, Dave and Larry need to take to twitter slagging everybody else off.

This is how you get publicity for your records these days.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The hashtag and the posting of snake emojis on Swift's social media accounts reached a fevered pitch in the summer of 2016 with the confluence of several events.

First, she split with producer and DJ Calvin Harris in June 2016 after an almost year-and-a-half-long relationship.

Related: Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris reportedly split

Soon after, Swift revealed that she had written "This Is What You Came For" under the pseudonym,"Nils Sjoberg." The hit, recorded by Harris and Rihanna, topped the charts all summer.

Harris didn't appreciate her taking credit and responded in a series of now deleted tweets.

"I wrote the music, produced the song, arranged it and cut the vocals though. And initially she wanted it kept secret, hence the pseudonym," Harris wrote at the time. "Hurtful to me at this point that her and her team would go so far out of their way to try and make ME look bad at this stage."

Related: Taylor Swift's secret songwriting makes everybody watch Calvin Harris' Twitter feed

Fans who were #TeamCalvin went after Swift on social media, using the snake emoji.

Then came a blowup with Kanye West and his wife, Kim Kardashian West.

The rapper referenced Swift in February 2016 in his song "Famous," which includes the line "I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / I made that b**ch famous."

The "Bad Blood" singer took West to task for it. In a now deleted tweet, West claimed he "had a hour long convo with [Swift] about the line and she thought it was funny and gave her blessings."

Swift denied that via her rep.

"Kanye did not call for approval, but to ask Taylor to release his single 'Famous' on her Twitter account," the rep said at the time. "She declined and cautioned him about releasing a song with such a strong misogynistic message. Taylor was never made aware of the actual lyric, 'I made that b**ch famous.'"

In a July 2016 episode of "Keeping Up With the Kardashians," which referenced the disagreement, Kim Kardashian West shared a Snapchat video of a conversation with Swift meant to prove she had given the lyric her approval.

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »
If only we can get Kim Kardashian who seems to be the Queen of all things cool to re-tweet something that U2 says.

Kim Kardashian West‏Verified account
@KimKardashian 

Wait it's legit National Snake Day?!?!?They have holidays for everybody, I mean everything these days! 🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

Replying to @KimKardashian

Wait, a national day for Kim Kardashian? I don’t think she deserves that, but oh well 🐍🐍👹🔫

tianna‏ @tiannaolivera · 29 Nov 2016 

I HISS you were here ;);;);););)

Jobin  ‎@alicia_rego 

I honestly would kiss the ground @KimKardashian walks on after today #taylorswiftisasnake

2:53 PM - Jul 18, 2016 

2 2 Replies 

Retweets 

monopoly

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 08:46:11 PM »
Yes but it can turn negative and destructive very quickly like last time.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Just come out with quality and it sells itself.

There needs to be some kind of promotional activity. This seems harmless and targeted by comparison.
I look forward to hopefully some traditional promotion too, such as a q magazine spread, with descriptions of each song.. even if the descriptions turn out to be more exciting than the actual songs...

They will most likely try a mix of new and old promotional techniques, and wouldn't be surprised if they release a couple of singles ahead of the album release.

Modern promotion is very different from what it used to be. All u2 needs to do is nothing for the first single. The single is the promotion for the album. These letters are the promotion for the single.

Taylor swift is promoting her new single by posting random videos of a snake. That's getting everyone's attention right now. She hasn't said anything, just a random video and everyone knows what's up.

My daughter (23 yo) is a huge Taylor Swift fan (also a U2 fan) and she was telling me about this over the weekend. Everyone in the fandom is going crazy about those posts she said.

Have you seen them? They're literally two 10 second posts of a barely visible snake. That's it.

As much as I'm againstait, the easiest way for u2 to reach the younger generation would be to do a single collaboration with Biber or swift.  An 8 second cameo in XXX, certainly made a small fanbase say "u2 sounds pretty good".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:51:47 PM by monopoly »

• Wanderer
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 08:52:18 PM »
Yes, but it is all about mass hysteria in this trans gender world of twitter wars.
By, “TaTa” Swift putting up a twitter pic of a snake; she has rekindled the twitter war she is having with the Kardashian/Wests and the media has gone berserk with it.
I mean it is now bigger in Vegas than the McGregor/Mayweather fight or the day Biggie and Tupac got shot.
Twitter wars are now bigger than things that happen in real life.
U2 gotta get themselves some sort of twitter war.
Can’t we tweet Liam Gallagher or Sinead O’Connor or some tax office who wants to arrest all the boys over tax fraud or something?
Then You Tube the whole lot of it.
That is where the publicity is for today’s young ones.

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »
Yes but it can turn negative and destructive very quickly like last time.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Just come out with quality and it sells itself.

There needs to be some kind of promotional activity. This seems harmless and targeted by comparison.
I look forward to hopefully some traditional promotion too, such as a q magazine spread, with descriptions of each song.. even if the descriptions turn out to be more exciting than the actual songs...

They will most likely try a mix of new and old promotional techniques, and wouldn't be surprised if they release a couple of singles ahead of the album release.

Modern promotion is very different from what it used to be. All u2 needs to do is nothing for the first single. The single is the promotion for the album. These letters are the promotion for the single.

Taylor swift is promoting her new single by posting random videos of a snake. That's getting everyone's attention right now. She hasn't said anything, just a random video and everyone knows what's up.

My daughter (23 yo) is a huge Taylor Swift fan (also a U2 fan) and she was telling me about this over the weekend. Everyone in the fandom is going crazy about those posts she said.

Have you seen them? They're literally two 10 second posts of a barely visible snake. That's it.

As much as I'm againstait, the easiest way for u2 to reach the younger generation would be to do a single collaboration with Biber or swift.  An 8 second cameo in XXX, certainly made a small fanbase say "u2 sounds pretty good".

U2 need to co-produce a song with Calvin Harris featuring Justin Bieber.

Until they do this, they will not have any relevance, what so ever!

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2017, 09:12:02 PM »
Can’t we tweet Liam Gallagher or Sinead O’Connor or some tax office who wants to arrest all the boys over tax fraud or something?

It would be a potentially great move to gain publicity. Of course, so many young folks have a not-so-lovely impression of Bono, so they would probably take the side of whoever they have a beef with.

If they wanna do this, Bono should join Twitter. Get in a big Twitter war with someone like Coldplay, Roger Waters, Mumford & Sons, Green Day. Plan it with the other group so both sides get the publicity they want. Maybe have the other group start it, attack Bono for having "fake charities", then Bono can rant on twitter at them with explicative filled tweets and short "drunk" videos. Everyone loves watching an angry irish guy curse fellow celebs out...

Somehow I feel this is too petty for even Bono.

• Wanderer
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »

It would be a potentially great move to gain publicity. Of course, so many young folks have a not-so-lovely impression of Bono, so they would probably take the side of whoever they have a beef with.

If they wanna do this, Bono should join Twitter. Get in a big Twitter war with someone like Coldplay, Roger Waters, Mumford & Sons, Green Day. Plan it with the other group so both sides get the publicity they want. Maybe have the other group start it, attack Bono for having "fake charities", then Bono can rant on twitter at them with explicative filled tweets and short "drunk" videos. Everyone loves watching an angry irish guy curse fellow celebs out...

Kayne West has made a whole career out of pettiness

surely U2 can see the future

it is Twitter wars

even President trump can see that.

I will start it

Bono's first tweet should be "Chris Martin should wear a toupee"

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 09:18:53 PM »

Kayne West has made a whole career out of pettiness

surely U2 can see the future

it is Twitter wars

even President trump can see that.

I will start it

Bono's first tweet should be "Chris Martin should wear a toupee"

First tweet: "Chris Martin is #FakeU2. Even stole one of our hooks and released it b4 us"

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »
If only we can get Kim Kardashian who seems to be the Queen of all things cool to re-tweet something that U2 says.

Kim Kardashian West‏Verified account
@KimKardashian 

Wait it's legit National Snake Day?!?!?They have holidays for everybody, I mean everything these days! 🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

Replying to @KimKardashian

Wait, a national day for Kim Kardashian? I don’t think she deserves that, but oh well 🐍🐍👹🔫

tianna‏ @tiannaolivera · 29 Nov 2016 

I HISS you were here ;);;);););)

Jobin  ‎@alicia_rego 

I honestly would kiss the ground @KimKardashian walks on after today #taylorswiftisasnake

2:53 PM - Jul 18, 2016 

2 2 Replies 

Retweets 

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »
Bono needs to change the whole ideology of the band around and just spew hate at all and sundry.

Do a Johnny Rotten persona.

That will get the hipsters interested.

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 12:22:25 AM »
Any logic as to which fans are getting these? Just long term fan club members?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 01:05:38 AM »
I think it's members who live in the direct line of the eclipse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 01:10:01 AM »

Saw that theory but someone in Chicago received one.

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 05:14:28 AM »

Saw that theory but someone in Chicago received one.

I believe Southern Illinois had total eclipse.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »
Think the cryptic letter is a good start of promoting a new single. They are in the business so long, they get air time by dj's easy..........