Author Topic: The Blackout - first single? (based on today's emails)  (Read 30154 times)

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
Re: The Blackout - first single? (based on today's emails)
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes but it can turn negative and destructive very quickly like last time.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Just come out with quality and it sells itself.

There needs to be some kind of promotional activity. This seems harmless and targeted by comparison.
I look forward to hopefully some traditional promotion too, such as a q magazine spread, with descriptions of each song.. even if the descriptions turn out to be more exciting than the actual songs...

They will most likely try a mix of new and old promotional techniques, and wouldn't be surprised if they release a couple of singles ahead of the album release.

Modern promotion is very different from what it used to be. All u2 needs to do is nothing for the first single. The single is the promotion for the album. These letters are the promotion for the single.

Taylor swift is promoting her new single by posting random videos of a snake. That's getting everyone's attention right now. She hasn't said anything, just a random video and everyone knows what's up.

My daughter (23 yo) is a huge Taylor Swift fan (also a U2 fan) and she was telling me about this over the weekend. Everyone in the fandom is going crazy about those posts she said.

Have you seen them? They're literally two 10 second posts of a barely visible snake. That's it.

As much as I'm againstait, the easiest way for u2 to reach the younger generation would be to do a single collaboration with Biber or swift.  An 8 second cameo in XXX, certainly made a small fanbase say "u2 sounds pretty good".

Well, Taylor Swift must be doing something right. News about her next album came out today and she's trending #1 worlwide on twitter.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2017, 02:07:57 PM »
She has a huge following though, U2 do not have a big online presence. Just over a million twitter and Instagram followers, that needs to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2017, 02:17:49 PM »
I can't believe this debate. 

U2 is a ROCK BAND formed in the 1970s, filled with 50+ grandparents who somehow manage to turn out amazing new albums about every 4-5 years.  If they ever did, they certainly no longer have any reasonable comparison.  Their contemporaries are dead in reality or dead musically.  Bands which arguably reached their heights never had their longevity.  That said, U2 won't ever again be as popular as a younger modern hipper artist like Bruno Mars or whomever comes along next. 

By comparison, Swift is everything they are not.  An individual young pretty fad starlet with more Significant Others than the entire U2 band has ever had combined, all of whom are famous.  She's the most popular twitter/internet star in the world.  But does anyone seriously think we will be listening to or caring what Taylor Swift does when she's 54?  Or that U2 could possibly produce anything or market themselves so well they could challenge her for mentions on Twitter?  It's like comparing comic books and literature.  What's the point? 

The blackout letter is a neat idea.  It won't make SoE better or worse; and I doubt it will have much effect on sales.  So what?  They don't need to--and shouldn't--try to track what Taylor Swift does.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2017, 02:24:34 PM »
I don't think they need to compete I do think their strategies need to get with the times though and not play catch up. Their marketing ploys are sorely lacking these days and the Apple debacle really stung them in a way they didn't think possible. This added with the dreadful overkill of the NLOTH promotional tour (a week with letterman and taking over the taxpayers BBC including idents) a drastic rethink is needed and they need to get it right. It's not much to ask in this day and age. Get with the times guys.

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »

U2 is a ROCK BAND formed in the 1970s, filled with 50+ grandparents who somehow manage to turn out amazing new albums about every 4-5 years.  If they ever did, they certainly no longer have any reasonable comparison.  Their contemporaries are dead in reality or dead musically.  Bands which arguably reached their heights never had their longevity.  That said, U2 won't ever again be as popular as a younger modern hipper artist like Bruno Mars or whomever comes along next. 

By comparison, Swift is everything they are not.  An individual young pretty fad starlet with more Significant Others than the entire U2 band has ever had combined, all of whom are famous.  She's the most popular twitter/internet star in the world.  But does anyone seriously think we will be listening to or caring what Taylor Swift does when she's 54?  Or that U2 could possibly produce anything or market themselves so well they could challenge her for mentions on Twitter?  It's like comparing comic books and literature.  What's the point? 

The blackout letter is a neat idea.  It won't make SoE better or worse; and I doubt it will have much effect on sales.  So what?  They don't need to--and shouldn't--try to track what Taylor Swift does.

Agreed, starting this thread...I just wanted to know if people figured Blackout was coming before Best Thing. Is that a safe assumption based on the letters? Not sure how we arrived at Swift and snakes.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2017, 02:37:27 PM »

Agreed, starting this thread...I just wanted to know if people figured Blackout was coming before Best Thing. Is that a safe assumption based on the letters? Not sure how we arrived at Swift and snakes.

I think we arrived at Swift because we were talking about the promotion of the single, with U2's letters being received by fans, while TS is using social media very effectively.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that U2 should mimic Swift. I actually like their hard copy letters. Great idea.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2017, 03:32:30 PM »

I think we arrived at Swift because we were talking about the promotion of the single, with U2's letters being received by fans, while TS is using social media very effectively.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that U2 should mimic Swift. I actually like their hard copy letters. Great idea.
careful, apparently its now punishable to go off topic...

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »

I've not seen some of these...

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2017, 04:22:49 PM »
That one with fewer words revealed might give something away - Blackout will appear, u2.com - maybe a fan exclusive type thing?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2017, 04:24:47 PM »
Maybe it's hidden?

I can't claim to have read blakes poems but this link about its analysis is fascinating to read.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:38:43 PM by eddyjedi »

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2017, 05:19:31 PM »
any of these fan mailing showing up on e-bay yet- haha.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »
any of these fan mailing showing up on e-bay yet- haha.

A friend of mine had one of the copies that showed up public ally for the first time. Once it went viral, he says he went into the trash to get the envelope in case it became worth a bit in the future!  :D

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2017, 10:35:01 PM »
Who received the promotional message from u2.com?  I haven't re-upped my membership yet, was waiting for the gift to get released, so does that mean i won't get it?

Who knows? While a lot of the people receiving it live in the path of the eclipse, others who received it don't. Plus not everyone in the path has gotten it yet. Maybe it's just a random sampling?

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2017, 03:40:18 AM »
Who received the promotional message from u2.com?  I haven't re-upped my membership yet, was waiting for the gift to get released, so does that mean i won't get it?

Is the membership a year from when you sign up? It said 2017 on it so I wasn't sure if it was for the rest of this year or if it'd be until this time next year

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2017, 06:11:00 AM »

Is the membership a year from when you sign up? It said 2017 on it so I wasn't sure if it was for the rest of this year or if it'd be until this time next year

It's good for 12 months, not a calendar year. Since I initially joined in the month of March,  my renewal is always due in March. You can see your renewal date on your U2.com account.