Author Topic: The Blackout - first single? (based on today's emails)  (Read 30140 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: The Blackout - first single? (based on today's emails)
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2017, 01:36:01 AM »
I think it says album though, there are two letters above the redacted bit which seem to be L and B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2017, 01:50:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it says album though, there are two letters above the redacted bit which seem to be L and B

The 'L' and 'B' of 'Longs of Exberience'?  ;)

You could be right it is 'album'. But 'the' or 'thing' is an option, too.

Offline flowtheman

• Babyface
  • Even better than the real thing.
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2017, 03:07:02 AM »
I just found another sign that indicates that "The Best Thing" will be the first or at least on of the next singles:

There were at least two videos on youtube with the sound of the Kygo-Remix of The Best Thing, one was with pictures of the festival/show were Kygo announced it, the other one showed material from the i+e Tour.
Now apparently both videos do not exist anymore.
My theory: The uploaders were "asked" to delete it, because, of course, if the single is announced, it would not be good if you could easily find it on youtube instead of buying the single or listen to it via Spotify/Apple music etc.

What do you think?

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2017, 03:47:38 AM »

Now that you mention it, there's an 'e' on the end too which would work for "Songs of Experience." Though I suppose that'd work for you're the best thing about Me too

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2017, 04:19:42 AM »

Now that you mention it, there's an 'e' on the end too which would work for "Songs of Experience." Though I suppose that'd work for you're the best thing about Me too
Uhu, and it's a long sentence.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2017, 04:52:09 AM »
Getting my hopes up, but Blackout reminds me of Electric Co., and Arcade Fire's Power Out.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2017, 04:56:46 AM »
Getting my hopes up, but Blackout reminds me of Electric Co., and Arcade Fire's Power Out.
THAT statement got MY hopes up...thanks, Cat!

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »
Has no one figured out what the obscured words are yet from the tiny bits of text at the top?  I can't, but I am terrible at these things.  I can barely read the puzzle correctly when it's all filled in during Wheel of Fortune.

It doesn't help solve any U2 mysteries, but a quick googling does the reveal:

Blake published Songs of Innocence and of Experience: Shewing the Two Contrary States of the Human Soul in 1794, and this collection of forty-six poems has a unique position in English literature. Some of them—The Tyger, for example—are among the best-known poems in the English language.

The book combines two sets of poems: Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience. These two sets of poems have generated much critical discussion as to how Blake intended them to be understood. But there is general agreement that the two sets of poems are related by the principle of contrast; a contrast between the state of Innocence—to be understood as childhood, idealism, hope—and that of Experience—to be understood as adulthood, disillusionment, social criticism, and despair.

The poems were also meant to be interpreted on another level; that of the world before and after the Fall of Man, and of the struggle within the soul itself. Blake came to see these two states as "contraries in the human soul!". At first, Innocence is the world of the Lamb, the world of the true God of Love and Understanding, or Jesus, while Experience is the work of the false God, or the great negative influence. But if we can see this, then Experience can also be a means of achieving true insight.

Blake does not tell the reader how these poems should be read, nor is he trying to say that one state is better than the other, but rather leaves it up to the readers to draw their own conclusions.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:07:29 PM by fresno dave »

Offline Backstreets92

• Babyface
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »
So what exactly is the date of the single? Where did September 8th come from? Also, what is the date obscured on the paper that got mailed out? 08/25/17? Is that not just for the album announcement though?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2017, 12:33:44 PM »

I heard that it is the sound of someone turning off all of the lights in a factory.

Offline Backstreets92

• Babyface
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »
I've heard that they're starting real promo (radio?) for "Blackout" next week and will announce the album then as well. But I've also heard they don't plan to officially release it until September 8th?

Frankly, that may be a bad move. In today's music industry where the attention spans are much lower, you have to do a total simultaneous release to all formats, streaming, download, music video, radio to really get the wheels turning, especially if you want it to chart well and be popular (which let's be real, U2 definitely does).

monopoly

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2017, 01:14:59 PM »
I've heard that they're starting real promo (radio?) for "Blackout" next week and will announce the album then as well. But I've also heard they don't plan to officially release it until September 8th?

Frankly, that may be a bad move. In today's music industry where the attention spans are much lower, you have to do a total simultaneous release to all formats, streaming, download, music video, radio to really get the wheels turning, especially if you want it to chart well and be popular (which let's be real, U2 definitely does).

Bad move? That's the normal for the music industry. Get people pumped for the first single. Release it. Release music video. Announce album release date.

Offline Backstreets92

• Babyface
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2017, 01:17:47 PM »
The music industry is changing dramatically. New stories in the music world happen every hour. It's much harder for less relevant acts like U2 are in the modern mainstream landscape to stretch out their promotional tactics nowadays over the course of weeks or months.

Offline Backstreets92

• Babyface
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »
Interesting development:

"You're the Best Thing About Me" - September 12th release to Alternative radio. Nothing on "Blackout" listed.

monopoly

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
Interesting development:

"You're the Best Thing About Me" - September 12th release to Alternative radio. Nothing on "Blackout" listed.

Is this a screenshot?