Author Topic: Older songs on next tour?  (Read 3302 times)

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
Older songs on next tour?
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:11:38 AM »
Assuming that they stick with the tried & tested 6-8 new songs and 9-10 warhorses, which older songs do you think U2 will bring back for the next tour (eg unforgettable Fire on the 360 tour, a sort of homecoming for the current tour etc). Not a wish list, just trying to identify songs that are due a revival.

Kite hasn't been played for a while (end of the vertigo tour I think). Who's gonna ride your wild horses (vertigo tour)? Angel of Harlem hasn't seen the light of day for a while (start of 360 I think).

Thoughts/predictions?

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Older songs on next tour?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 05:12:56 AM »
Love is blindness hasn't been played or sound checked since zoo TV - happy to be corrected on this one - that could be an addition too.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 05:52:37 AM »
We will be lucky if we even get 1-2 older cuts.  U2 will likely play 8 new songs and fill the whole rest of the the set with warhorses much like I&E.  I don't consider I Will Follow and Out Of Control as deep cuts as these are the ones that U2 always go to when they want to please the die hards.

The other songs they tried they gave up on too fast.  Gloria and Two Hearts, what were play handful of times and then given up.  Out of the 8 shows I had seen, wasn't even lucky to hear those two at least once.  Also they played Zoo Station once.  Gave up on Miracle Drug early.

I am not expecting anything in terms of variety/deep cuts on the next tour but just the new songs and then an onslaught of warhorses/staples. Probably will only see the next tour once.  That is why I'm getting my fix in with JT tour.  Buffalo coming up in a couple of weeks!!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
I guess I'd just be crazy to ask for Hawkmoon 269, huh? Or maybe EPAA or BOOM CHA? Yeah, I know...just dreaming out loud.

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 08:41:52 AM »
I've thought about this and wondered if after The Joshua Tree would they either put a few of 'em to bed (With or Without You and Still Haven't Found ... but surely not Streets) as they've spent years playing these songs and then spent a whole tour playing the whole LP. Like when Bowie "retired" his greatest hits. Alternatively, would they feel they've "rediscovered" the likes of Exit, One Tree Hill, In Gods Country etc and add a song or two from the "second side" to the set?

Knowing U2 it will probably be neither ...

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
Well, I would say A Sort Of Homecoming, but that seems to have come and gone. I can also take TJT out of the mix now.

Maybe something different from Achtung Baby ... Tryin' To Throw or Love Is Blindness or So Cruel.

monopoly

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »
I think it will be very heavy on post 2000 songs and of course the big hits (streets, I willl follow, etc.) not expecting rarities like October or two hearts

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
Maybe Stay?

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »
i thought on the i.e. tour they did a good job of digging deep.  They have a lot of material they can pull from, but i don't think the band thinks the majority of the audience wants to hear anything other than what is recognizable to the masses.  I bet they'll probably pull a few rare gems out though.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Assuming that they stick with the tried & tested 6-8 new songs and 9-10 warhorses, which older songs do you think U2 will bring back for the next tour (eg unforgettable Fire on the 360 tour, a sort of homecoming for the current tour etc). Not a wish list, just trying to identify songs that are due a revival.

Kite hasn't been played for a while (end of the vertigo tour I think). Who's gonna ride your wild horses (vertigo tour)? Angel of Harlem hasn't seen the light of day for a while (start of 360 I think).

Thoughts/predictions?

AoH was played on a number of I&E shows

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 01:13:08 PM »
Maybe Stay?

Would love to see a full band version of Stay (similarity staring at the sun and if God will send his angels).

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 01:14:28 PM »

Thoughts/predictions?

Ah missed that - thank you!

monopoly

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 01:15:37 PM »

Thoughts/predictions?

It was played too much...

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »

Thoughts/predictions?

It was played too much...

25 times apparently!! #research #mustdobetter

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
There has to be a random or unexpected one. I would like that to be wire or surrender.
Depends on the new material, and the experience theme.. they usually tailor around that. If innocence went back to early day routes with boy/October, as someone else said it could be a bunch of post noughties 😥

But more likely 90's onwards. It could actually be time for pop to be acknowledged... if they did, reckon they would go for please or staring at the sun. I also think they would reconsider gold like dirty day.