Author Topic: Older songs on next tour?  (Read 3295 times)

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
Re: Older songs on next tour?
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2017, 07:38:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When they use same stage as two years back, i would think they start with some dance tunes
like discotheque, Lemon and lady with the spinning head before they head off and crawl
inside that screen
Did not expect LWTSH coming out of this. A personal somewhat-favorite though.  :)
Anyone else?

I love the versions of LWTSH on the Berlin bootleg tapes.  There's a few instrumentals on there that are better than songs on AB. Maybe, Bono could take another crack at the lyrics to get that tune to it's rightful place.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Older songs on next tour?
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2017, 09:27:06 PM »
As much as I want it to happen, I don't foresee any dance oriented tunes from the 90's returning given Bono's physical limitations.  Part of what made up for the lack of coherence in some parts of the Popmart set was the fact Bono attacked every part of the stage.  He's not able to do that much now.   I think Wake Up Dead Man speaks to a new relevance today, as does Staring at the Sun.  The First Time would also be cool, it's not too vocally challenging either.  And just as a wild card, I could see Wild Horses returning.  I also foresee a full band version of Desire returning, as they did it in Vegas earlier this year. Kite and Sometimes You Can't...would be welcome returns for me, but I think I might be the only one on that one. 

Others have addressed this fully, if they don't play hits, they are staring back at an older audience staring back at them mindlessly and motionless or looking into their phones.  That's the reality.  They play things we yawn about because they want the floor moving as much as possible.  At the very least, in an arena setting, let's say they whip out Acrobat or Mofo.  Of the 12,000 in attendance, 50% are going to go absolutely nuts for the first thirty seconds.  That's a win with little return for them.  By the time the song reaches its climax, that same 50% is going to start mulling whether it still holds up.  They're smart.  They can read us like books.  The other 50% is going to be wondering what the hay everyone is flipping out over, and at worst, leaving for beer.  It's a very polarizing affect.  U2 are at their best when the audience is on the same page.  The fan on the floor is having the same reaction as the person in the stands.  Hopefully.  It's too risky for them in the world of phones to drop the momentum for more than five minutes, because they know they'll have to work three times as hard to recover what pleased maybe 50% of their fans (i.e. customers).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:57:21 PM by achtung child »