Author Topic: Official Indianapolis Thread **Spoilers** 10 September 2017  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
Re: Official Indianapolis Thread **Spoilers** 10 September 2017
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 09:17:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Damn it...I knew I should have bitten the bullet and gone to Indy today. Grrrrrr....
I think Best Thing went over better Little Things did at previous shows. I of course am basing that on Mixlr/periscopes I'm on. Haha

Definitely seemed to go over well.  People seemed excited to hear it!

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 09:27:55 PM »
One ends the night!  Only change is Best Thing in for MW, but a great night overall!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 09:54:21 PM »
Damn it...I knew I should have bitten the bullet and gone to Indy today. Grrrrrr....
I think Best Thing went over better than Little Things did at previous shows. I of course am basing that on Mixlr/periscopes I'm on. Haha

I wanted to as well! Tickets were dirt cheap for the stands ($15 on stubhub) and I always wanted to catch at least one show from the stands to really take in all of the visuals. Ahh well. Sounds like a great show for those who attended!

As far as Little Things, I heard it at the Pittsburgh show. Not a huge response from fans but I thought it was a good live song. Difference between it and Best Thing is Best Thing is an official single and was released last week--so fans going to tonight's show had a chance to familiarize themselves with it--whereas Little Things has never been released officially, just played on Kimmel and live.

I think Little Things will be a great show closer on the E&I tour. It's just not time for it. Almost like if they had played MoS on the Vertigo tour--it wouldn't have worked, but it did work pretty well on the 360 tour.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 10:30:03 PM »

Offline Pouakai

• Stateless
  • I went walking, down that old eight-lane
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 01:33:41 AM »
Difference between it and Best Thing is Best Thing is an official single and was released last week--so fans going to tonight's show had a chance to familiarize themselves with it--whereas Little Things has never been released officially, just played on Kimmel and live.

I think part of it is also that Best Thing is a different type of song on the whole compared to Little Things - they're both great, but Best Thing is much more upbeat and energetic and so IMO would get a better reaction in a concert setting

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 01:37:33 AM »
Good to hear Best Thing, but disappointed they're cutting Mysterious Ways for it, though.  Seeing them in a week, and I wanted that slide solo. 

Offline Moser

• Wanderer
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 07:11:46 AM »
The Best Thing About Me was so nice and raw live. It sounds very much like the studio recording except the key change goes more smoothly live. I bought this ticket just to get a shot of hearing the new stuff and it worked. And it seemed well received although I believe the audience was a little surprised it ends on that note. Even the Edge cracked up a little bit when he ended it.

And something about the acoustics of Lucas Oil Stadium produces this echo that makes Bono's voice soar. Not a bad venue -- at least from the floor.

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 07:48:35 AM »
Best Thing went over pretty well. Maybe Bono oversold it a bit, but people around me in GA seemed eager to hear it and were responsive. They seemed pretty confident with it. Were those the same splattery graphics they use for Mysterious Ways?

I could see the little funky breakdown being expanded at some point - it reminds me a bit of "Let's Dance."

Offline bjkrober

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »
What a night!
1.  Roof Open - helped the sound, the vibe and the temperature.
2.  GA entry was fastest and easiest I've ever been thru
3.  Crowd showed up.  - a few empties here and there, but no large empty sections
4.  Beck is so legit.
5.  Best Thing debut instead of Mysterious Ways.
My fears about a small crowd, closed roof and "mail it in" performance were all unfounded.  Shame on me.  U2 rules!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »
Glad it exceeded your expectations, BJK!

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 05:28:31 PM »
I agree bjk. I was afraid they'd phone it in for Indy, a city they don't have much history with. Bono made the Dalton Bros debut a focal point of Indy, but most of the audience disn't get the reference.

Whole band was on fire. Adam was smiley, more than he was at Louisville (he was dour for his chipper standards at Louisville).

GA gate was hard for me to find.

Debut of Best Thing made ticket price worth it for me.

Also, Bono said some pretty inspirational stuff, which I'm sure is part of his script these days. Before Bad, he said something like "let go of the things holding us back, to make time for the things that matter"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:30:03 PM by skelter »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 05:33:43 PM »
I'm not sure why but I find Bono to be super inspirational, even when some of his lines have been used hundreds of times.  The man knows how to speak my language I guess.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »
I'm not sure why but I find Bono to be super inspirational, even when some of his lines have been used hundreds of times.  The man knows how to speak my language I guess.

I think Edge's tinkling guitar chimes in the background help make it inspirational imo  :D

Offline trashbag

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2017, 06:06:47 PM »
I gotta say, Bono's voice was in particularly fine form. Am I the only one? Compared to seeing them in Louisville and countless other shows on YouTube, it felt he was seriously going for it last night!

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »
I gotta say, Bono's voice was in particularly fine form. Am I the only one? Compared to seeing them in Louisville and countless other shows on YouTube, it felt he was seriously going for it last night!

They were definitely not phoning it in last night.  Everything was very high energy and the crowd was pretty darn good too.  Some people in my seated section sat down for the 1/2 half of JT, which I thought was lame, but whatever.  One of the funnest parts, though, was what Bono said after The Best Thing:  He asked, "was it ok?"  And he thanked the crowd for the opportunity to perform the song, saying it was a "real thrill."  It was very cute and almost child-like.  Fun to see how fun he found it!  Crowd reaction to it was strong too.  I mean, not the crowd reaction to Streets or Elevation, but all things considered....

The venue was a real plus--yes when he spoke it was a bit echo-y, but it was fun to have an open roof and a nice breeze throughout.