Author Topic: Alan Cross Post and U2's Missed Opportunity  (Read 2538 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
Alan Cross Post and U2's Missed Opportunity
« on: September 03, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Count me in as one of many who ripped The Blackout audio into an mp3 so I could add to my iTunes library and playlists.  I did the same for The Little Things That Give You Away.  I like hearing the songs in my ongoing "Music of 2017" playlist.

Not sure if I agree that not releasing The Blackout as a digital download hurt.  I'm thinking they put more effort into the The Best Thing About Me is You, considering the fact that KYGO is reinserting it into his shows. 

I just saw an interesting documentary on Apple Music about KYGO and I totally understand why U2 would want to partner with him. 

I don't think going after the "radio hit" (or these days, the streaming hit.....as KYGO was the fastest to a billion streams, I believe the doc mentioned) is a bad thing.  They are still trying to expand their fan base while imo, is not a bad thing.  I hear so many people write that they should just play music for their current fans (or themselves).  Why?  I think it's a bit selfish.  They may not meet this challenge they set up for themselves but I sure don't begrudge them trying.  The songs have been good for the most part and if I need industrial, electronic, atmospheric, rock U2....well I got that in my catalog as well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:17:10 AM by dwaltman »

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
Re: Alan Cross Post and U2's Missed Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 11:27:24 AM »
I don't like this passage   >:(

SoE will probably be the last under U2’s 12-year deal with Live Nation. With the agreement set to expire in 2020, this record and the tour in support of it could be the finale to a career that began in September 1976. They’ll want to go out in a blaze of glory. How they orchestrate that remains to be seen.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 12:18:02 PM »

SoE will probably be the last under U2’s 12-year deal with Live Nation. With the agreement set to expire in 2020, this record and the tour in support of it could be the finale to a career that began in September 1976. They’ll want to go out in a blaze of glory. How they orchestrate that remains to be seen.

"The end is not coming.  The end is here."
-lyrics from the last song on Songs of Experience

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »

I also took note of those lyrics.  Better book for the last show of the E&I tour.  Of course, they will add shows and we'll have to book for another last show.  I would guess Dublin would be the last show?

Or it could be just the end of the album.

monopoly

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »

I also took note of those lyrics.  Better book for the last show of the E&I tour.  Of course, they will add shows and we'll have to book for another last show.  I would guess Dublin would be the last show?

Or it could be just the end of the album.

It's the end of a contract. They'll probably just renew it for the greatest hits shows

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »

Count me in as one of many who ripped The Blackout audio into an mp3 so I could add to my iTunes library and playlists.  I did the same for The Little Things That Give You Away.  I like hearing the songs in my ongoing "Music of 2017" playlist.

Not sure if I agree that not releasing The Blackout as a digital download hurt.  I'm thinking they put more effort into the The Best Thing About Me is You, considering the fact that KYGO is reinserting it into his shows. 

I just saw an interesting documentary on Apple Music about KYGO and I totally understand why U2 would want to partner with him. 

I don't think going after the "radio hit" (or these days, the streaming hit.....as KYGO was the fastest to a billion streams, I believe the doc mentioned) is a bad thing.  They are still trying to expand their fan base while imo, is not a bad thing.  I hear so many people write that they should just play music for their current fans (or themselves).  Why?  I think it's a bit selfish.  They may not meet this challenge they set up for themselves but I sure don't begrudge them trying.  The songs have been good for the most part and if I need industrial, electronic, atmospheric, rock U2....well I got that in my catalog as well.

I agree whole heartedly and will say this is the best thing I've read on this forum in a long time.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
U2 won't retire ... musicians don't retire ... you just got to look at who Bono considers heroes ... Dylan, Sinatra, Simone, Cash, Nelson. They all play until they die. It's bigger than money or career. Personally over time I'd like to see U2 evolve into Bono crooning more. Songs like 'Dancing Shoes', 'Two Shots of Happy', 'Slow Dancing', 'Love Rescue Me' style songs. A slower paced more mature show. Even if it's just Bono and The Edge playing acoustic shows. They will always perform and write songs while ever they are alive. You don't spend years obsessing over a single album to just retire when a Live Nation contract is up. Speaking as a songwriter you have no choice in it. The songs choose you. As Bono and The Edge get older they will see life differently and they will want to write about it.

Only death can stop them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monopoly

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »

I agree whole heartedly and will say this is the best thing I've read on this forum in a long time.

If the kygo mix is a bonus track aside from the album version I think it's ok. Having one dance club song paired with songs like little things would seem weird. A rock best thing would suit better

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 03:24:51 PM »

..probably..
..could be..

For all his connections and insider status, what does Alan Cross know about U2's future other than their contractual obligation to Live Nation? I'd say absolutely nothing.

You can be sad that they're closer to the end than the start, that's just a fact. (They'd have to surpass the longevity of Chuck Berry and B.B. King to make it otherwise). But an educated guess is still a guess. I wouldn't put much stock into it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:31:34 PM by Messenger »

Offline Jack

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 09:59:52 PM »
Are you sure they don't have to release another album after SOE in the live nation contract by 2020?

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 10:26:33 PM »
for sure, when that contract expires, U2 will be a hot commodity to take ( again ). U2 is forever! =)

monopoly

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 02:12:02 AM »
Surely this has happened before. I don't think it's been the same contract since 1978

Offline Bantering ram

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 04:03:07 AM »

Or they could retire gracefully like REM?

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 04:04:25 AM »

There's life in R.E.M. yet

Offline Bantering ram

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 04:16:57 AM »

There's life in R.E.M. yet

Ha ha ha! No chance :) They've all got too much integrity and pride to lose after the finality of what they explained back in 2011.