Author Topic: NY Times: SOE  (Read 1448 times)

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
NY Times: SOE
« on: September 06, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
Re: NY Times: SOE
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:21:50 AM »
Great article.

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:28:19 AM »
Great article, some key parts (IMO)

The album, “Songs of Experience,” is now scheduled to arrive Dec. 1. It appears at a moment when popular culture is gathering its spirit of righteousness and resistance — a moment that could well be suited to U2, whose pealing guitars and martial beats have, through the years, become rock’s sonic signature of idealism. “Songs of Experience” merges personal reflections with tidings from the wider world, and it calls for compassion, empathy and rectitude. “The wickedness in the world, we just let it perforate the album,” Bono said. “But it still had to be a very personal album, not a polemic.”

Bono added, “The elections were a shock to the system personally and a shock to the system politically, not just in America but in Europe. This is my lyrical response to both of those shocks. I leaned more on the personal than the political, but the political is there to put the personal songs in the context of time, of history.”

U2 released “The Blackout” as a performance video at the end of August. It’s a buzzing, thumping rocker that begins, “Dinosaur wonders why it still walks the earth” and later wonders, “Is this an extinction event”; it also observes, “Statues fall/Democracy is flat on its back.” In writing and rewriting the song, Bono said, “I made it about democracy, not an aging rock star.”

When U2 released “Songs of Innocence,” it immediately promised a follow-up with the title readers of William Blake would expect: “Songs of Experience.” But “Songs of Experience” isn’t exactly a sequel. “Songs of Innocence” was as explicitly autobiographical as U2 had ever been, including one song named after Bono’s mother, “Iris,” and another citing the street where he grew up, “Cedarwood Road.” In contrast, “Songs of Experience” returns to the broader strokes that fill U2’s catalog: love, fear, mortality, responsibility and hope.

Many of the songs, Bono said, are like letters addressed to specific recipients: his family, his friends, the audience, America. Above all, the new album posits “joy as an act of defiance,” Bono said. “That’s the heart of rock ’n’ roll, that’s its life force.”

As usual, U2 worked on — and worked over — the album with multiple producers from various spheres and styles. Mr. Thomas has worked with the rawboned rock duo Royal Blood; other producers included Ryan Tedder from OneRepublic, Jacknife Lee and one of the band’s career-long collaborators, Steve Lillywhite. The band also sent some works in progress to Kendrick Lamar, hoping to get a guest rap from him as a kindred socially conscious musician. Instead, Mr. Lamar used a vocal line from Bono for “XXX” on his “DAMN.” album. On U2’s album, the snippet is part of a full-length song about America and its history of welcoming immigrants.

The new songs rove from U2’s arena anthems to celestial ambient hymns, echoes of 1950s rock and glimpses of disco and new wave. “All our best work has that pull between experimental on one hand and pop clarity on the other,” Bono said.

The Edge offered a simple criterion: “On this record, we went, ‘Is it going to be played by people in a bar in 25 years?’”

“You’re putting out a song about your girlfriend when the world is on fire?,” Bono asked, anticipating one reaction. “Yes. Joy is an act of defiance.”

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:32:32 AM »
Great context.   They're saying all the right things and the intentions all seem great.   Hopefully it all comes together.   

Interesting comment on Blackout initially being about an aging rock star.

Liking everything I read except the mention of "disco" -- hope they're not chasing this fad.  Every rock band recently that has tried incorporating disco has had abysmal results.

Seems like 12/1 release date is confirmed here.

Offline Moser

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:41:12 AM »
“You’re putting out a song about your girlfriend when the world is on fire?,” Bono asked, anticipating one reaction. “Yes. Joy is an act of defiance.”

Classic U2 basically saying "f*** off". I bet Bono would wished he saved Rejoice from October for the first single on Songs of Experience, ha!

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
Great context.   They're saying all the right things and the intentions all seem great.   Hopefully it all comes together.   

Interesting comment on Blackout initially being about an aging rock star.

Liking everything I read except the mention of "disco" -- hope they're not chasing this fad.  Every rock band recently that has tried incorporating disco has had abysmal results.

Seems like 12/1 release date is confirmed here.

Offtopic, I know the critics mostly hated the album, but I love "Put Your Money On Me" on the new AF album.

Besides, it said "a glimpse". I doubt it's anything worth worrying about. Maybe just a funky bassline...which I am not opposed to.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »
And I thought this quote from the Edge was relevant too:

We still really believe that we can make a great record which is a very different motivation to go in to make an album than thinking, ‘Well, we’ve got to whip one out for the fans.'

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »

We still really believe that we can make a great record which is a very different motivation to go in to make an album than thinking, ‘Well, we’ve got to whip one out for the fans.'

Great quote, but doesn't Edge say this before almost almost every album?

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 09:00:38 AM »
Brilliant article - some of the hotheads over the best thing oughta read it and chill out  8)

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »

Great quote, but doesn't Edge say this before almost almost every album?

Guess that's true. Bono repeated a few greatest hit soundbites as well.