Author Topic: All U2 Albums Ranked  (Read 8900 times)

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
Re: All U2 Albums Ranked
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2018, 06:55:02 AM »
1. Achtung Baby - all around perfect album
2. Unforgettable Fire - My favorite, I love the atmospheric vibe of it
3. Joshua Tree - probably should be number two, but I love Unforgettable Fire more

Those three are set in stone the rest switch positions depending on my mood, right now:
4. Songs of Experience
5. Zooropa
6. Rattle and Hum
7. Pop
8. War
9. All That You Can’t Leave Behind
10. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
11. No Line on the Horizon
12. Boy
13. Songs of Innocence
14. October

Offline popromancer

• Wanderer
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2018, 06:34:15 AM »
1. Pop
2. Achtung baby
3. The joshua tree
4. Zooropa
5. How to dismantle an atomic bomb
6. No line on the horizon
7. Rattle and hum
8. Songs of innocence
9. War
10. Songs of experience
11. All that you can't leave behind
12. The unforgettable fire
13. Boy
14. October

This is tough. I still don't know exactly how to rate SOE. On the one hand I think it is a great collection of pop rock songs, great melodies and more fresh than SOI. On the other hand I think it's a bit of a dull, safe, middle of the road album..

Offline dnrodriguez

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2019, 01:06:43 PM »
Reading some of these lists had me scratching my head. There seems to be a lot of discrepancy - I can only assume it is due to a sort of generational divide.

AB - A masterpiece. The proverbial 'cutting down of the Joshua Tree'. Difficult to fathom how a band can produce this caliber of work 6 albums deep.
JT - It truly is a classic and the album that launched the band into the stratosphere. The best 4 track intro in their discography - just a bit too much Americana love and I prefer the tone on AB in sort of the same way I prefer Chopin over Mozart.
ATYCLB - Found this album in a convenience store in the middle of nowhere Ireland, it just resonates so deeply with me. Unprecedentedly front loaded, but still so powerful overall.
HTDAAB - The album that started it all. Seeing U2 on the Apple commercials when I was kid was iconic. The tracks are so meaningful to me. Songs that still come and go when I am walking down the street 15 years later. My biggest complaint is it doesn't quite elevate like some of their other albums, but as a whole it may be their most polished and consistent rock album.
War - Raw and visceral. I remember picking this record up as a kid with my father. This is the first album where things started to click.
SOI - A very special album for a time in my life where what it meant to be an adult was much more clear. Incredibly clear narrative, very well written, extremely impressive for a band to have this level of longevity.
TUF - This is where things start to really get interesting. Some incredibly powerful tracks here with Bono singing at his best, but the rest just sort of turns into an unfocused sonic echo that I think even the band themselves would admit could have been more fined tuned (lyrically at least). 
Zooropa - Foreign territory for me and not quite up to par, but some stand out tracks here. It just went a little too far into the experimental deep end. Hearing "Stay" live from Boston still reminds me of the U2 that I know and love.
R&H - A bit self righteous (I think pompous bears too much of a negative connotation), the studio cuts are really special, but at the height of Americana fanfare it is just a bit unbearable for me. All I Want Is You is an all time great and a hidden gem on this record.
Boy - Incredible first record considering the time it was released, it just doesn't have the highest replay value.
SOE - At 29, I am probably in the best place to really digest this album. The tour was an absolute treat, the highlights come with the lowlights, but overall a well crafted album, but perhaps a touch overproduced. I know the band has gas left in the tank, but where's the bite?
October - As Bono would say, you have your whole life to record your first album and about 3-6 months to record your second one. The sophomore slump is felt tremendously on this record. I'll give the band a pass since Bono's lyric book was stolen shortly before recording the record.
Pop - I cannot for the life of me understand how this a top 3 record for any fan. A definitive low-point for the band. There are some redemption tracks on here, but not enough substance for me to rank it any higher.
NLOTH - It might be unpopular, but Crazy hits me just right, everything else kinda pales in comparison and it makes it really difficult to get around to. Easily their worst record for me.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:37:05 PM by dnrodriguez »

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2019, 07:05:27 PM »
Achtung
Joshua
War
Unforgettable
Horizon
Boy
Rattle
Zooropa
Experience
Pop
Behind
Bomb
Innocence
October

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2019, 03:09:32 PM »
1. Achtung Baby: A masterpiece like everyone else is saying. Not a single weak song.
2. The Joshua Tree: U2's second masterpiece that is constantly fighting with AB for the top spot.
3. All That You Cant Leave Behind: Has a special place in my heart, the songs were incredible live and the tour is my favorite of theirs.
4. Zooropa: I'm a big fan of U2 in the 90's. Lemon and Stay are both in my top 5 U2 songs.
5. Pop: I'm a big fan of U2 in the 90's. Arguably best lyrics of any U2 album. The first U2 album I bought.
6. Songs of Innocence: Great album that has only moved up for me with time - could quite easily reach my top 5.
7. War: I love this album but dont listen to it that much anymore. Probably in my top 3 when I was in my teens.
8. Boy: Half of this album is incredible.
9. TUF: Not my favorite - too many songs feel like sketches to me and Pride is one of my least favorite U2 songs. Bad and especially the title track are amazing though.
10. HTDAAB: Overhyped album imo. Some decent songs but very mediocre in U2's discography.
11. Rattle & Hum: I like the singles a lot - especially Angel of Harlem - but as a full album I dont think it works unfortunately.
12. October: A few very good songs but also quite a few that are unlistenable to me.
13. Songs of Experience: Boring and weak songs for the most part. I like Summer of Love, RFD and 13 but not much else. Little Things is the most overrated of modern U2 songs imo.
14. NLOTH: I like Fez and thats about it. Album with 4-5 of my least favorite U2 songs. Had potential but it was wasted. U2 seemed to lack judgement when making this album.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:14:16 PM by Rasmus »

Offline The Fly

• Stateless
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2019, 01:59:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

@U2 tweeted this today, so I thought I'd give it a go for the first time in a while...

1 - Achtung Baby: their best
2 - Joshua Tree: my favorite
3 - All That You Can't Leave Behind: the 1 that started it for me
4 - The Unforgettable Fire: this has more recently moved up for me
5 - War: raw and powerful
6 - Pop: especially if you use the remixed versions (I think they've remixed half the album...)
7 - Songs of Experience: especially the second half
8 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb: the first time I got to experience buying the "new" U2 album
9 - October: Gloria is one of my favorites ever, and I love the energy
10 - Zooropa: took a while to grow on me. Some songs are better than others (pun intended)
11 - Rattle & Hum: without the live tracks, it could have been an awesome LP
12 - Boy: controversially low, I know, but it just doesn't do it for me
13 - Songs of Innocence: in theory I like the songs; I just never seem to listen to it...
14 - No Line on the Horizon: I love Breathe and Magnificent, but everything else just sounds like an unfocused B-side

Offline MinnetonkaMN55345

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2019, 05:43:45 PM »
Joshua Tree                                            Perfect
Achtung baby                                          Virtually perfect
Zooropa                                                   So close to perfect
The unforgettable fire                              Amazing
How to dismantle an atomic bomb          Awesome
Rattle and hum                                        Pretty great
War                                                          Very good
All that you can't leave behind                 Good
Boy                                                           Good
October                                                    One song good
Pop
Songs of experience
Songs of innocence
No line on the horizon
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:51:09 PM by MinnetonkaMN55345 »

Offline MinnetonkaMN55345

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2019, 05:55:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
5. Pop: I'm a big fan of U2 in the 90's. Arguably best lyrics of any U2 album. The first U2 album I bought.

Better than JT?
We all love what we love, so I am not criticizing your thoughts, but too me the lyrics of Dirty Day alone throw Zooropa above Pop lyric wise.