Author Topic: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?  (Read 16908 times)

Offline jadasa78

• Babyface
Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2017, 05:41:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I love Miami, I actually think it is better than a good third of the rest of POP (and I love that album). The odd time signature, the loud drum sound, the clank of Edge's guitar.

It's actually in regular 4/4

Once the drums come in it's straight time. But the drum loop at the beginning, Bono's melody, and the bass line are not playing in straight time, they are playing off each other. It sounds odd, at least it does to me.

I think even that intro section is in 4/4, but with some heavy syncopation going on.
I'm pretty sure it's a clear case of polyrhythm, a common trick featured in prog music but extremely unusual for U2.

More here if someone's interested
I haven't got it on hand to listen to, but pretty sure it's all just a clever 4/4 arrangement
It is indeed 4/4, but there are some things on it with odd rhythms bouncing off each other, that's the concept of polyrhythm.
I indeed know polythythms, having taught drums for almost ten years. I'm just not hearing them in Miami. There's some stilted phrasing from bono but that's about it. :)
Since you're a drum teacher I guess I'll have to trust you on this, I'm a guitar player and my rhythm solfege is very rusty.

The voice timing is weird and it confuses me.

By the way, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, sorry if you got that impression.
No not at all. It seems we have blown this out of proportion. Maybe we should have started a thread in the music section!

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2017, 06:26:29 AM »
POP is in my top 3-4 albums of all time

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2017, 07:29:08 AM »
When they make a "european market" album it's always better than their "US market" albums.

Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop are streets ahead of All That you Can't Leave Behind, The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum
As an American, they definitely try too hard to pander to the US market. It's just uncool. Achtung Baby era just looked and felt cool. The best that they ever dressed, looked or sound, imo. They also seem to dumb down their lyrics when pandering. AB was their lyrical height.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2017, 07:31:44 AM »

Again, not really controversial.

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2017, 07:45:15 AM »

Again, not really controversial.

I take "of all time" as any album ever made by any artist, which to me is controversial.  If you said top 3-4 of U2's albums, then not so much.

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2017, 07:55:46 AM »
U2 doesn't care about staying relevant as much as people think they do.  They care more about making the music they want to make at this point in their career.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2017, 09:03:25 AM »
When they make a "european market" album it's always better than their "US market" albums.

Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop are streets ahead of All That you Can't Leave Behind, The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum
As an American, they definitely try too hard to pander to the US market. It's just uncool. Achtung Baby era just looked and felt cool. The best that they ever dressed, looked or sound, imo. They also seem to dumb down their lyrics when pandering. AB was their lyrical height.

Do you really think that U2 aim their albums at either the American or European market?

I don't. For one thing -- as came up in another thread -- the differences between the two markets aren't that great. Yes, Pop was more popular in Europe than in America, but Joshua Tree was more popular than Pop in both Europe and America by a huge margin.

It may be that some of their albums are more American and others more European, but I think that's a matter of which influences they're feeling the most at a particular moment in time, as opposed to actually aiming to sell to one continent or the other.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »

I love Miami, I actually think it is better than a good third of the rest of POP (and I love that album). The odd time signature, the loud drum sound, the clank of Edge's guitar.

It's actually in regular 4/4

Once the drums come in it's straight time. But the drum loop at the beginning, Bono's melody, and the bass line are not playing in straight time, they are playing off each other. It sounds odd, at least it does to me.

I think even that intro section is in 4/4, but with some heavy syncopation going on.
I'm pretty sure it's a clear case of polyrhythm, a common trick featured in prog music but extremely unusual for U2.

More here if someone's interested
I haven't got it on hand to listen to, but pretty sure it's all just a clever 4/4 arrangement
It is indeed 4/4, but there are some things on it with odd rhythms bouncing off each other, that's the concept of polyrhythm.
I indeed know polythythms, having taught drums for almost ten years. I'm just not hearing them in Miami. There's some stilted phrasing from bono but that's about it. :)
Since you're a drum teacher I guess I'll have to trust you on this, I'm a guitar player and my rhythm solfege is very rusty.

The voice timing is weird and it confuses me.

By the way, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, sorry if you got that impression.
No not at all. It seems we have blown this out of proportion. Maybe we should have started a thread in the music section!
It would have been interesting for us musicians, but I'm afraid most of the forum would shake their head in disbelief haha :)

Spacejunk69

« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »

Nothing controversial about that  ;D Its my # 1 favorite album of all time, by U2 or ANY band. No question.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
Best Thing is being used in my house as the new Rick roll. Noooooooo!

Offline Droppo

• Babyface
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2017, 12:21:11 AM »
Shocked that it's controversial at this point...but, my opinion of POP remains unchanged from 1997:

It was needlessly rushed and sadly, they immortalized a substandard variation of what could have been great.

Edge kills it on POP. He's amazing on it.

Bono stinks on much of it.

Miami is the worst song I've ever heard by a band I like.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2017, 10:17:53 AM »
U2s relevance died the moment the Good Friday peace agreement was signed.
They could have definitely taken that moment to bow out. I can hear/see the movie ending - a freeze frame with Bono mid-stage w/ Trimble and Hume at the Yes campaign concert as a Dennis Hopper voice-over and scrolling text describes the vote on the Good Friday agreement, what it meant, and after fulfilling all of their ambitions - biggest band in the world, Irish peace, etc. call it a day... fade out to New Years Day with Hopper closing with "Thanks to four boys from Dublin, the Irish people can finally "Begin Again."

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »
Hmm.. mine is that Joshua Tree is over-rated, not in my top 3 U2 albums, is boring, and that I prefer the R&H studio tracks to the everything but WTSHNN, ISHFWILF, WOWY, and BTBS.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »
My controversial thought? I love every album, and like every song.

I am in this camp as well.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
My controversial thought? I love every album, and like every song.

I am in this camp as well.
Broadly, so am I. I have favourites though!