Author Topic: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?  (Read 17986 times)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2017, 05:15:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Joshua Tree is a middle-tier album.

Where the Streets Have No Name is an average track.
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is a terrible song.
In God's Country is annoyingly awful.
One Tree Hill is very pretentious and lackluster.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, that's pretty controversial!  ;D

Does this make me the new an tha?  :D
Sorry, dude...I don't think ANYONE can fill his big, ugly shoes!

And no one ever will...
:(

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2017, 06:26:01 AM »
POP is in my top 3-4 albums of all time

Again, not really controversial.

I take "of all time" as any album ever made by any artist, which to me is controversial.  If you said top 3-4 of U2's albums, then not so much.

My bad, I misread that as being U2 albums.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2017, 07:26:24 AM »

If Every Breaking Wave had been released 20 years earlier, it would have been considered one of U2's best songs and a tour staple.

Totally agree with this 100%.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2017, 09:42:04 AM »

If Every Breaking Wave had been released 20 years earlier, it would have been considered one of U2's best songs and a tour staple.

Totally agree with this 100%.
yeah, this is true.  I see this trend with a lot of the iconic figures in all forms of art.  Everyone rags on the Simpsons sucking the last 15 years and i hadn't seen an episode in probably 20 years until i was forced to watch a few yesterday while on  treadmill at my motel and i laughed my ass off.  Revealing my nerdy side, this can go back to Sherlock Holmes who many fans dismiss the later stories, but if you were to read them not knowing any of the background to them or tying them to the biography of the author, they are on par with the best of them.      I've always argued that no other artists have consistently put out great music for as long as U2 have.  EBW is one of my top 10 for the band.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »
Oh boy, do I have plenty:

- If one measures the best decade by the number of great songs put out in that decade, the 90s were the worst. I've got 23 songs that I love from 2000-2009 vs. 22 from 1990-1999 (counting Passengers). I don't look at it this way and the 90s were clearly far more consistent, but even so, 2000-2009 was a strong decade for them.

- I think SBS, Exit, and One are very overrated, and Acrobat, Lemon, and Mofo are downright clunkers (and I want to like the latter two).

- Lady With the Spinning Head was better than two of the songs birthed from it: The Fly and Ultraviolet. Only Zoo Station, the best U2 song ever, was a song birthed from it that managed to exceed it. I'd probably say that The Fly was better if it sounded more like the Elevation Tour version.

*Side note*: I don't hear any Zoo Station in that song. Was that the band misspeaking? I think it sounds a lot more like it came from Salome.

- SOI is easily the worst album by the band. There are only a couple of songs that I like, none of which are really in the upper echelons of great U2 songs. SOI is the only album about which I can say that.

- The perfect Achtung Baby: Zoo Station - EBTTRT (either the Perfecto or FOOW remix) - Lady With the Spinning Head (either the regular or extended mix) - UTEOTW - Blow Your House Down - Salome - The Fly - Mysterious Ways - TTTYAATW - Ultraviolet - Where Did it All Go Wrong?

- Last Night on Earth is the best song on Pop by a landslide and one of U2's top ten. I doubt there's much disagreement that Discotheque and Gone are great moments on Pop, but I'm sure that calling Do You Feel Loved and The Playboy Mansions great songs might not be a popular opinion.

- TJT would be a perfect album if RHMT wasn't on it. In God's Country - TTYW - One Tree Hill is probably the best three-song sequence in history.

- I'm okay with Elevation's prevalence in U2's sets because it's an absolutely spectacular song. ;)

- I Fall Down is the best song on any of U2's first three albums, and there are a good many I very much enjoy on those.

- NLOTH has one of the highest great-song counts of any U2 album with NLOTH, Magnificent, Unknown Caller, IGCIIDGCT, GOYB, and Stand Up Comedy.

I'm sure I have more, but I think that's enough pot-stirring for now.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:24:49 PM by hollywoodswag »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »

- If one measures the best decade by the number of great songs put out in that decade, the 90s were the worst. I've got 23 songs that I love from 2000-2009 vs. 22 from 1990-1999 (counting Passengers). I don't look at it this way and the 90s were clearly far more consistent, but even so, 2000-2009 was a strong decade for them.

- I think SBS, Exit, and One are very overrated, and Acrobat, Lemon, and Mofo are downright clunkers (and I want to like the latter two).

- Lady With the Spinning Head was better than two of the songs birthed from it: The Fly and Ultraviolet. Only Zoo Station, the best U2 song ever, was a song birthed from it that managed to exceed it. I'd probably say that The Fly was better if it sounded more like the Elevation Tour version.

*Side note*: I don't hear any Zoo Station in that song. Was that the band misspeaking? I think it sounds a lot more like it came from Salome.

- SOI is easily the worst album by the band. There are only a couple of songs that I like, none of which are really in the upper echelons of great U2 songs. SOI is the only album about which I can say that.

- The perfect Achtung Baby: Zoo Station - EBTTRT (either the Perfecto or FOOW remix) - Lady With the Spinning Head (either the regular or extended mix) - UTEOTW - Blow Your House Down - Salome - The Fly - Mysterious Ways - TTTYAATW - Ultraviolet - Where Did it All Go Wrong?

- Last Night on Earth is the best song on Pop by a landslide and one of U2's top ten. I doubt there's much disagreement that Discotheque and Gone are great moments on Pop, but I'm sure that calling Do You Feel Loved and The Playboy Mansions great songs might not be a popular opinion.

- TJT would be a perfect album if RHMT wasn't on it. In God's Country - TTYW - One Tree Hill is probably the best three-song sequence in history.

- I'm okay with Elevation's prevalence in U2's sets because it's an absolutely spectacular song. ;)

- I Fall Down is the best song on any of U2's first three albums, and there are a good many I very much enjoy on those.

Well I disagree with just about everything you say here, but hats off for taking the "controversial" part seriously!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2017, 04:56:48 PM »
Hollywood Swag, I do agree that NLOTH has one of the highest great song counts of any U2 album:  "Breathe", "Magnificent", "Fez", "Unknown Caller", "Stand Up Comedy", "Miracle"--that's quite a few right there.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2017, 06:28:19 PM »
Hollywood Swag, I do agree that NLOTH has one of the highest great song counts of any U2 album:  "Breathe", "Magnificent", "Fez", "Unknown Caller", "Stand Up Comedy", "Miracle"--that's quite a few right there.

I think any band would love to have an album as strong as NLOTH as their weakest album.  Only 2 or 3 dodgy tunes on it.  I think it speaks to how great U2 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2017, 08:10:19 PM »
Let's not forget "Moment of Surrender"--a slow builder with great majesty.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2017, 11:39:24 PM »

- NLOTH has one of the highest great-song counts of any U2 album with NLOTH, Magnificent, Unknown Caller, IGCIIDGCT, GOYB, and Stand Up Comedy.

well at least i know i don't ever have to take you serioulsy  :D

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2017, 03:50:37 AM »
I promise you, though, that I'm not making up any of that. My wife asked me recently if I always have such unique preferences because I insist on being different, or if it's because I actually just happen to have those unique preferences. I assured her it's the latter, but I suppose I've grown to embrace being someone who has a very unusual take on things.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2017, 03:38:30 PM »

And no one ever will...
What happened to an tha?

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »

And no one ever will...
What happened to an tha?

I gave an explanation of what I assume caused his ban in this thread: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2017, 11:26:30 PM »

That's either Bomb or SOI, depending on which one you mean.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2017, 11:29:30 PM »

Interesting, and I haven't done the numbers myself, but I'm almost positive I disagree.

Sort of agree but also not really. SBS, One and Lemon to me are all really good songs and worthy of their status.

I love Lady with the Spinning Head and wish it had more presence in U2's catalogue, but the songs which were birthed from it are equally enjoyable so for me it's not a huge disappointment.

It doesn't hold up does it? I'm not sure it's their worst but maybe it is. Subjective of course but quite forgettable unfortunately.

Ok sure whatever.

Last Night on Earth could easily be my favourite song off that album. It changes between 2 or 3 of them for me.

I don't think RHMT does anything to obstruct quality of that record.

Spectacular? Nope. Energetic and crowd pleasing? Yes.

First three? Maybe first 2... I like it a lot too, underrated for sure.

I agreed with you during the first part of that statement then you said GOYB and Stand Up Comedy.....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:31:56 PM by Clarky »