Author Topic: Edge interview with Rolling Stone  (Read 10744 times)

Offline Scarlet2016

• Wanderer
Re: Edge interview with Rolling Stone
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The song they need to put to rest for a long long time from TJT is Still Haven't found.

I couldn't disagree more.

Still haven't found from Fallon was mind blowing, as good as the R&H gospel for me, transcendent.

This song will never, ever get old or go out of fashion. It was a gift of a song to the band at the tender age of 25/26 and they are all too aware of it, it's arguably one of the greatest songs ever written and as powerful now as it was 30 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2017, 02:02:42 PM »
i knew it!! they wanted further time to tweak it..which I have to say is fair enough....in the end being one of the best rock bands ever is their vocation, trade, profession, how they earn a living etc and after nearly 40 years in the game, they can do what they hell they want...be damned to record company deadlines and obsessive fan expectations( like me ).

good news is that we have an arena tour coming up ,,,,wow we have gotten a lot out of u2 since 2014,, this is a real purple patch in their career, tours & albums,,,,great times...good music...you all must have read the q interview they did towards the end of I&E 2015 where they said they wanted to break out of 4 year album/tour cycle that they've been following since AB...and they have,,,a real burst of productivity...

It's interesting when edge talks about Bono's brush with mortality...being a cyclist to work,,i brush with it too when I get too cocky on the road...I think that's what best thing is about...its a pop song but its not overtly pop,,,in that it gushes with boyband/teeny pop lyrics from start to finish. The refrain at the end 'Why am I walking away?' seems to hint at the story teller's vulnerability...in bono's case it could be his bicycle accident, his proximity to terrorist attacks in France, relationship issues and the march of Father Time which comes to us all eventually...It brings a certain sourness to the song making sure it doesn't come across as unrealistic optimistic track and more of a realistic pop track reflecting real life....

I was listening to new year's day  live from Vancouver today on the way back from work and even that song has a similar sourness. written about the polish solidarity movement, it takes on another interpretation as an optimistic love song of sorts...but when Bono sings the last verse...never more poignant in these challenging times -'gold is the reason for the wars we wage' a similar sourness is felt in the way of the last verse to best thing...well to me anyway. Probably the sweetest thing is the only track in their catalogue that gushes with love and overtly optimistic themes....well that I can think of...

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »
Aargh!  We are curious now as to what it was that affected Bono's writing so much.  We are glad that he is still here to tell us that he had a bad moment.

I was off work for much of last summer and to help keep me sane, I followed news stories about Bono.  He looked well and was seen with various celebrities in the South of France either in or around Eze or at St Tropez during the summer months.
But he was in Nice on 14 July.  I read a number of accounts in the news from people that were in the same restaurant as him or knew someone that was with him.  I think I read that they watched the fireworks on the promenade and then went to the restaurant. They all had to be evacuated with their hands on their heads to a safe place as the police did not know if anyone else was at large in relation to the incident.  That will have been frightening.

Exactly. I didn't follow news about Bono too closely last year (and really don't in general unless it's posted here), but every single appearance of his that I saw, he looked very healthy. Either it's the terrorist attack or something internally wrong. I'm interested to see what his separate RS interview reveals.

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2017, 06:24:41 PM »
A setlist focused on Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience would be absolutely phenomenal!  California, Iris, Raised by Wolves, Cedarwood Road, Sleep Like a Baby, This is Where You Can Reach Me Now, and The Troubles should all get played regularly.  I'd love to see them try that Vertigo Tour version of Mofo too.

monopoly

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
A setlist focused on Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience would be absolutely phenomenal!  California, Iris, Raised by Wolves, Cedarwood Road, Sleep Like a Baby, This is Where You Can Reach Me Now, and The Troubles should all get played regularly.  I'd love to see them try that Vertigo Tour version of Mofo too.

Might as well do both albums front to back.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2017, 11:22:40 PM »
The song they need to put to rest for a long long time from TJT is Still Haven't found.

well i'd say WOWY before ISHF but YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS give it a friggin break guys. SHUT.IT.DOWN.

Offline thijst

• Wanderer
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2017, 02:06:30 AM »
Here's the Bono interview on Dutch radio:

Action starts at around the 3:00 minute mark. Bono mentions ​he's had "a few frights" like ​the bike incident but "​sinc​e​ then I've had another couple​"​.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »

Oddly enough, only played at less than 1/3 of the I&E dates. If you blinked, you missed it.

And even more oddly, I got it three times at the shows I went to on that tour. Missed One altogether, which was played at over half.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »

Oddly enough, only played at less than 1/3 of the I&E dates. If you blinked, you missed it.

And even more oddly, I got it three times at the shows I went to on that tour. Missed One altogether, which was played at over half.
Did you see falling Edge?  8)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2017, 10:03:53 AM »
I don't get his references to the POP album. He says in the interview that they should have pushed the electronica a bit more on the album, but when we hear the bastardised versions of discotheque and gone on the 'best of' albums, the songs are more stripped-back, classic rock n roll. It doesn't make any sense.

I also note that he and the band still place great store in radio. Do they not realise how irrelevant radio has become over the last 10 years? Edge does refer to other music outlets and streaming services etc, but he still feels radio is the most important music outlet for the band. I'd disagree and say youtube is the most significant music outlet these days. This is bad news to my ears, as we all know which type of songs garner radio play and those which don't.

Are they ever going to learn? This radio fascination has threatened the legacy of a once great band, even t***s like liam Gallagher recognise u2 as a 'beige band'.

I know many of us have been saying this for years, but it looks like age, comfort and sentimentality has finally scuppered the once fine song-writing sensibilities of the band. yes, we will get snippets of originality and gaucheness like slabt, cedars, one step closer, this is where you can reach me and the blackout, but not enough imo.

I'll hold fire until the album, but I'm expecting a lot of MOR pop/rock again. not good.

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »
I would bet Edge is referring to some personal health scare Bono's had.  I think he would've mentioned Nice if it were that since it was a public event, effecting many, many people. 

For my part, I was wondering about Bono's health after seeing a JT concert this summer.  I've never seen a U2 show where Bono moved so little and so slowly.  It was a great show, but I found myself thinking, "age is finally catching up to him."

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »
I would bet Edge is referring to some personal health scare Bono's had.  I think he would've mentioned Nice if it were that since it was a public event, effecting many, many people. 

For my part, I was wondering about Bono's health after seeing a JT concert this summer.  I've never seen a U2 show where Bono moved so little and so slowly.  It was a great show, but I found myself thinking, "age is finally catching up to him."

But in their favour they have been putting on a show 3 times a week in stints of 8 weeks or so.  That's no mean feat for a band at the wrong end of their 50's. 
Bono also said in one of the interviews (the Dutch one I think) that he's back on the bike and talked about cycling.  'Cycling' is different to 'riding a bike' and Bono understands this.  I read somewhere else last year that he challenged George Clooney to a cycle around Ireland.  That's touring in lycra for hours on end along roads and lanes.  (George said 'no').

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »

Vertigo tour version of Mofo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »
Great interview.  One question- Is this "brush with mortality" a reference to the attack in Nice that Bono was near or something else?

I think he refers to Bono's bike accident.
I thought that too, but that was three years ago... So?

If it was the bike accident, I think he wouldn't have been so cryptic about it.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2017, 11:56:16 AM »
Did you see falling Edge?  8)

Ha! No, I wasn't at that one.  ;)

I also note that he and the band still place great store in radio. Do they not realise how irrelevant radio has become over the last 10 years? Edge does refer to other music outlets and streaming services etc, but he still feels radio is the most important music outlet for the band. I'd disagree and say youtube is the most significant music outlet these days. This is bad news to my ears, as we all know which type of songs garner radio play and those which don't.

Are they ever going to learn? This radio fascination has threatened the legacy of a once great band, even t***s like liam Gallagher recognise u2 as a 'beige band'.