Author Topic: Bono vs Noel - lads on tour?!  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
Re: Bono vs Noel - lads on tour?!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This sounds like I'm trash talking but I am good friends with someone who was for quite a few years part of U2s touring "team" - he went around the world with them a few times and he remains close to a number of key people in the U2 camp today.

The stories he tells - especially about Bono - I think it is fair to say that stories like this, even accounting for Noel's liberal pinching of salt are not too far from the truth.

I'm sure that I have heard a similar story from a few years ago where Bono could outdrink Noel (as told by Noel again, I think).  I agree with the pinch of salt but wouldn't be surprised if there was a big after show party.  Not so sure about fitting 75 people round a table at his house though (would you really invite the President of Ireland for a finger buffet?).  More likely that 75 people would fit in the Irish President's gaff in Phoenix Park.
could Bono out drink Liam though?

This story indicates that he might could  ;D

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »
This sounds like I'm trash talking but I am good friends with someone who was for quite a few years part of U2s touring "team" - he went around the world with them a few times and he remains close to a number of key people in the U2 camp today.

The stories he tells - especially about Bono - I think it is fair to say that stories like this, even accounting for Noel's liberal pinching of salt are not too far from the truth.

I'm sure that I have heard a similar story from a few years ago where Bono could outdrink Noel (as told by Noel again, I think).  I agree with the pinch of salt but wouldn't be surprised if there was a big after show party.  Not so sure about fitting 75 people round a table at his house though (would you really invite the President of Ireland for a finger buffet?).  More likely that 75 people would fit in the Irish President's gaff in Phoenix Park.
could Bono out drink Liam though?

Most definitely, when Oasis supported U2 on the Popmart tour in 1997, Bono and The Edge challenged the Gallagher bros to a drinking game. Liam had to be carried out, while Bono and The Edge seemed almost sober.

Noel's new album sounds fascinating though from the snippets. Can't believe I'm saying this about Noel (whose typically refrained from doing anything out of his comfort zone), it sounds like it has a sonic ambition to it that, dare I say, U2 should have at the moment.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »
Would anyone want a drinking session with Bono, or would you be worried you might embarrass yourself?

Offline Zoostation07

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 02:14:19 PM »
Every Irish person I have ever met apart from one has liked a drink of 12. I'd love a pint or 2 with Bono but I'm not sure I'd make it much further than pint 3 or 4!!  :o

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
i'd like to drink red wine with Bono- given that his 'allergic' reactions have been well documented.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 02:50:40 PM »
Bono seems to have an unusual physical constitution.  Has anyone else noticed how many clothes he wears onstage?  He'll go all night long wearing three layers of black garments.  He seems to be impervious to heat....and drink!

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 05:02:55 PM »
We all know our B man likes his drink..

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »
Not that there's anything wrong with that! We Irish tend to drink a bit...

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
i'd like to drink red wine with Bono- given that his 'allergic' reactions have been well documented.

What cracks me up about his "allergy" is that, despite red wine/certain types of alcohol being horrible for his voice/sinuses (according to books/stories I've read) not to mention allegedly knocking him out (see: old Rolling Stone interview with him from 2002), he STILL drinks it and apparently in large quantities. And smokes (or smoked consistently for a long time). Both things that wreck voices and have definitely done some damage to his.

You'd think, given the allergy/damage to his voice, that he'd stop drinking (or just drink a lot less) for the sake of preserving his voice and career. I mean, alcohol is good (or so people say...not a drinker myself for a myriad of reasons) but is it really worth wrecking your voice and otherwise harming your health?

I know, it's very rock and roll to drink and party to excess....but if guys like Myles Kennedy (incredible range and frequently tours with freakin' Slash) can mostly abstain from alcohol and not smoke (to keep his voice healthy), then why can't Bono?

Not that there's anything wrong with that! We Irish tend to drink a bit...

The English do too (or so I'm told from English friends), so I'm surprised Noel seemingly couldn't hold his own with Bono.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 06:05:41 AM »
Ah, chillax folks. Let the man drink. He still sings great... and saves the world. I love this story.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 06:13:59 AM »
Ah, chillax folks. Let the man drink. He still sings great... and saves the world. I love this story.

Yes!  ;)

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 09:03:23 AM »
Would anyone want a drinking session with Bono, or would you be worried you might embarrass yourself?

Depends on what was being drank. If it was pints of Guiness...i can manage about 10 pts, then my gut feels bloated. Being Scottish, i should be able to keep up. If it was Wine.....a few glasses of that and im anyones lol

monopoly

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 09:23:42 AM »
Bonos first kiss was under an umbrella

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »

Yes!  ;)

And it's Miller Lite (see thread about new video!).

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
This place is full of party animals  ::)

I think it's fair to judge music out put, not life styles FFS..