Author Topic: U2 shooting video for "Get Out Of Your Own Way"  (Read 25029 times)

Offline kgbodo

• Babyface
Re: U2 shooting video for "Get Out Of Your Own Way"
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2017, 05:25:41 PM »
It's hard to understand why so many people are being so critical... It sounds a lot like Beautiful Day. In fact, the drum beat and feel is almost the same...  Everybody loves Beautiful Day when it roars through the stadium PA!  I'm sure everyone will be hopping up and down when GOOYOW opens the next tour!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Who needs haters when you've got U2 fans

If you've not liked anything U2 have done since 1991, 93, 97, 2000 then why are you still here?

I'm so tired of this. Why don't you put away your Fan Police badge and let the moderators determine who does and doesn't belong here?

It's tiring to see every new U2 song/video/haircut/glasses being torn apart in a non-constructive manner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not doing that, and neither is any individual member of this forum. You are culling together a bunch of different people's comments about a wide range of topics and allowing yourself to get all frustrated and insistent that people leave the forum.

If you don't want the opinions and insights of U2 fans you disagree with, maybe start your own forum and only invite people who love Bono's hair and sunglasses?

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2017, 05:29:21 PM »

If you've not liked anything U2 have done since 1991, 93, 97, 2000 then why are you still here?

I'm so tired of this. Why don't you put away your Fan Police badge and let the moderators determine who does and doesn't belong here?

It's tiring to see every new U2 song/video/haircut/glasses being torn apart in a non-constructive manner

I am not doing that, and neither is any individual member of this forum. You are culling together a bunch of different people's comments about a wide range of topics and allowing yourself to get all frustrated and insistent that people leave the forum.

If you don't want the opinions and insights of U2 fans you disagree with, maybe start your own forum and only invite people who love Bono's hair and sunglasses?

I do want opinions of U2 fans ... but people are crucifying songs and videos before they've even heard the finished product... it's ridiculous

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2017, 05:33:11 PM »

I do want opinions of U2 fans ... but people are crucifying songs and videos before they've even heard the finished product... it's ridiculous

Why is it ridiculous? Is there NO song about which you could form a negative opinion based on a non-official and brief leak? You clearly don't have a problem with people liking the song, right?

Look, while I haven't said anything about GOOYOW, I can say that based on what I have heard I don't like it. Is that ridiculous?

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2017, 05:33:37 PM »

True, at least wait until the album comes out to complain.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2017, 05:33:44 PM »
I love it so far.

Maybe its because I'm 19?
I'm 13 and haven't heard it. Can someone provide a new link?

The slaves are looking for someone to lead them.
The master's looking for someone to need him.
The promised land is there for those who need it most
And Lincoln's ghost says

Get Out Of Your Own Way
ah-ah-ah AH!
Get Out Of Your Own Way
ah-ah-ah AH!

I can see you taking(?) all night, all night.
If I could I'd make it alright, alright.
Nothing stopping you except what's inside.
I could help you but it's your fight, your fight.

Get Out Of Your Own Way
Get Out Of Your Own Way

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »
The chorus sounds very similar to the outro in Beautiful Day.  But like I said, it sounds fun as f^ck.  And it sounds and feels like they like it too.  I'm excited about the new album.  Little Things will really take off live when it's been properly rehearsed as a contextual piece, and not a drop-off as it was on JT - same with Best Thing.  Blackout is okay, and that's where it ends for me.  I think my own excitement has been tamed a bit by the fact it's nearly a re-write of Crystal Ballroom.  I love Edge's guitar work in the middle 8, but I HATE the lyrics - esp. the much maligned rhymes of zack and back, etc.  Perhaps it's an intentional rub from Bono, and maybe it will make more sense in the context of the complete album.  Overall, I'm looking forward to seeing AND hearing this album live.
I doubt they'll play the whole album live, but I agree that I can't wait either!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2017, 05:36:18 PM »
... at least wait until the album comes out to complain.

Then YOU wait until the album comes out to cheer. Fair?

OR, we all just let other people talk without seeking to police them constantly.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2017, 05:36:38 PM »
Wow, there's a great deal to unpack in those lyrics.  It's almost as though Bono is writing to America...the references to slaves/masters, Lincoln, etc.  Then there could also be a broader meaning of slave/master such as humans/Lord.  He is such a deep lyricist with so many layers/elements to his songs. 

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »

OR, we all just let other people talk without seeking to police them constantly.
Can we talk about how good all the songs are separately?

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2017, 05:39:08 PM »

Why is it ridiculous? Is there NO song about which you could form a negative opinion based on a non-official and brief leak? You clearly don't have a problem with people liking the song, right?

Look, while I haven't said anything about GOOYOW, I can say that based on what I have heard I don't like it. Is that ridiculous?

I don't have a problem with anyone liking or not liking the song but it's not even out yet ... give the band chance to get it out and listen to it properly before forming an opinion or writing the band off like some are.

I'm not overly fussed about Little Things but I'm waiting to hear the finished album version before I form an opinion. Even if I dont end up liking it it doesn't mean I'm going to start calling for the band to retire like some do.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2017, 05:42:50 PM »

Or how bad they are. It's not up to you or me.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2017, 05:43:53 PM »
Yep I mentioned Fleetwood Mac earlier....... lawsuit?

It’s just got a Fleetwood Mac vibe and the chorus of both end with the word “way.”  I mean, it’s not a note-for-note ripoff like they did when they stole from that poor sap on “The Fly.”  ;)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »

I don't have a problem with anyone liking or not liking the song but it's not even out yet ... give the band chance to get it out and listen to it properly before forming an opinion or writing the band off like some are.

I'm not overly fussed about Little Things but I'm waiting to hear the finished album version before I form an opinion. Even if I dont end up liking it it doesn't mean I'm going to start calling for the band to retire like some do.

Then I would suggest reporting individual comments to the mods if you feel like they are being unnecessarily mean-spirited. That's what the mod team is there for, and they do a great job.

PS - I really like The Blackout. But since I've not yet heard the official version I hope that's okay.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:12:20 PM by The Exile »

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2017, 05:45:29 PM »

Or how bad they are. It's not up to you or me.
We need to get back on topic.
If you would like to say anything else about this apparently incredibly divisive topic, say it here: