Author Topic: U2 shooting video for "Get Out Of Your Own Way"  (Read 25295 times)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
Re: U2 shooting video for "Get Out Of Your Own Way"
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2017, 05:57:49 PM »
I'm absolutely stunned they haven't been taken down.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Full disclosure - I'm still not that high on the Blackout. I think it'll really benefit from proper sound on the album, but it's just not clicking for me for a lot of reasons. I find it a bit clunky both lyrically and melodically and I find the chorus is just bland.

As for the other three, I'd have trouble rating them based on not having heard all of them in full, but I'm leaning towards Get Out of Your Own Way as the best. And here's my reasoning: There seems to be a backlash against simple melodies, but in my opinion, U2's greatness came from their command of simple melodies. From Pride and Bad to the entire Joshua Tree, it's what they do best. The Best Thing and Get Out may not have some of the atmospheric texture and nuance of those great tracks, but at least it's a return to some pretty strong melody which, in my opinion, has really been lacking in the last couple of albums.

For this commenter, if U2 has re-discovered a knack for finding melody, I'm happy. I've given up on them writing another Achtung Baby.

This is one of the smartest posts I've read on here in a long time.  While I disagree, I think part of the reason SOI was panned critically was due to a lack of simplistic melody in favor of incessant wailing and shouting. Most of the songs people did like about the album seemed focused on simpler melody lines (i.e. Song for Someone, Sleep Like a Baby, Troubles, etc).  And even some of those modulated from lows to highs that were too complex to really dig into.  I really enjoyed the wailing and shouting, esp. in Joey Ramone, Volcano, and Raised by Wolves.  Even Achtung Baby at it's most instrumentally complex zoned in on simplistic melody (i.e. One, Zoo Station, Throw Your Arms).  It plays to Bono's strength as a vocalist.  He was not blessed with the  gifts of Mariah Carey and Axl Rose to jump octaves aerobically.  When he tries, as he did on SOI, it only exposes the weaknesses.  But, that's like my opinion. Man.

Also, a Halloween release would make sense given they are celebrating Day of the Dead in the video.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:00:49 PM by achtung child »

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »
October 31 release. Geez, you think the guys would be a little more creative with a birthday present for Larry.  ::)

monopoly

« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2017, 10:20:08 PM »
Just listened again. I'm totally hearing beautiful day over and over.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2017, 12:09:11 AM »
I agree about the  year thing though.. it seems a bit like trying to hard to try and like something... unless of course it was disliked on a first listen and then parked for 12 months and rediscovered in a different light.

I have a 3 listen rule personally. Can be difficult to judge on a first listen, but if by the 3rd there's no spark beginning to emerge then it's adios amigo.
Good rule! :) I disliked SOI, but kept listening for an unknown reason.

I almost disliked every U2 album the first times listening. Including TUF and Achtung Baby! :-[

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #215 on: October 11, 2017, 07:43:01 AM »
Full disclosure - I'm still not that high on the Blackout. I think it'll really benefit from proper sound on the album, but it's just not clicking for me for a lot of reasons. I find it a bit clunky both lyrically and melodically and I find the chorus is just bland.

As for the other three, I'd have trouble rating them based on not having heard all of them in full, but I'm leaning towards Get Out of Your Own Way as the best. And here's my reasoning: There seems to be a backlash against simple melodies, but in my opinion, U2's greatness came from their command of simple melodies. From Pride and Bad to the entire Joshua Tree, it's what they do best. The Best Thing and Get Out may not have some of the atmospheric texture and nuance of those great tracks, but at least it's a return to some pretty strong melody which, in my opinion, has really been lacking in the last couple of albums.

For this commenter, if U2 has re-discovered a knack for finding melody, I'm happy. I've given up on them writing another Achtung Baby.

This is one of the smartest posts I've read on here in a long time.  While I disagree, I think part of the reason SOI was panned critically was due to a lack of simplistic melody in favor of incessant wailing and shouting. Most of the songs people did like about the album seemed focused on simpler melody lines (i.e. Song for Someone, Sleep Like a Baby, Troubles, etc).  And even some of those modulated from lows to highs that were too complex to really dig into.  I really enjoyed the wailing and shouting, esp. in Joey Ramone, Volcano, and Raised by Wolves.  Even Achtung Baby at it's most instrumentally complex zoned in on simplistic melody (i.e. One, Zoo Station, Throw Your Arms).  It plays to Bono's strength as a vocalist.  He was not blessed with the  gifts of Mariah Carey and Axl Rose to jump octaves aerobically.  When he tries, as he did on SOI, it only exposes the weaknesses.  But, that's like my opinion. Man.

Also, a Halloween release would make sense given they are celebrating Day of the Dead in the video.

First, thanks. And second, well said.

Your point about Bono's vocals is right on the money. When he has a strong melody to play with, the song dictates his vocals and he flows with it much more naturally. When he doesn't have that simple, base melody, he tries to force his vocals upon the song and the results are often quite mixed. It's like he knows the melody isn't the strongest, but he likes the idea of the song so he grinds it out as best he can.

U2 are in their element with natural, nice melodies.

Offline horsey

• Babyface
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2017, 08:32:35 AM »
You can sing the chorus melody of YTBTAM over the backing track of GOOYOW and it fits perfectly. They are basically interchangeable.
That's good!

Eh, they're too samey-samey, for my taste. I'm not sure it's wise to release back-to-back singles that are similar enough to have interchangeable melodies.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »
October 31 release. Geez, you think the guys would be a little more creative with a birthday present for Larry.  ::)
I hope! Let's see!

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »
Hard to get the full picture for the song (I think the YT clip) is the perhaps mainly the last 90 seconds of the song, but I like it so far.  The video vibes fit the song too, which is of optimism, joy and letting go.   

As several have already said, its hard to please everybody.   But I am optimistic on SOE based on what I've heard.   Remember, we've only heard some parts of 1/3 of the album (and at that only a studio version for one out of 11 or 12 songs).   Imagine rating Achtung on just listening to Mysterious Ways, live versions of Zoo Station and Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World, and a 90 second clip of a video shoot of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.   Doing so wouldn't allow for all full picture, story, intricacies, and essential album tracks that AB was so heavy on.   Not saying SOE will be as great as AB -- that would be a near impossible feat, but I think its way too early to deride the album and write it off -- but if people want to, that's obviously their right (you either dig what you hear, or you don't).
I totally agree here, I can't wait for the full album!

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
Hopefully this turns out to be as good as the small part of it reflects.    I don't recall hearing anything as catchy from them since that 30 second snippet of Stuck was released just prior to the ATYCLB release.

Assuming this wasn't intentional, I wish they would do a better job of keeping these things from leaking ahead of time.   

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »
Hopefully this turns out to be as good as the small part of it reflects.    I don't recall hearing anything as catchy from them since that 30 second snippet of Stuck was released just prior to the ATYCLB release.

Assuming this wasn't intentional, I wish they would do a better job of keeping these things from leaking ahead of time.
I have a very interesting story about my GOOYOW experience.
The day I found out there was a leak video, I was like, "I want a totally new song to me!"
Day 2, I was like "screw it, I'll just listen to the chorus."
And I did.
It was a good decision.
But I will not listen to the rest.
Because I need a reason to hype.

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
Do you think there is a chance of a physical release of the singles with b side?

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
Do you think there is a chance of a physical release of the singles with b side?
Maybe for Record Store Day.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2017, 04:12:24 PM »
Maybe for Record Store Day.
A few years ago (if I remember correctly in 2013) island said they won't release singles anymore unless it's for something special. RSD and Black Friday and gifts are special

Offline durk

• Wanderer
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »
this tune is more like it.