Author Topic: Why no SNL appearance?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline KobayashiMaru

• Babyface
Why no SNL appearance?
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »
Just wondering why, if U2 was spending all this time in New York, they weren't performing on Saturday Night Live?

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
Re: Why no SNL appearance?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
Probably figured they had enough tv appearances lined up already.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them on SNL this fall when they're in the States for the tour.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:39:41 PM »
I expected them to be on SNL, too.  I mean, they were in NYC for a WHOLE week  ::)

silvrlvr

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 07:56:43 PM »
I was surprised there wasn't an NBC component, too. But they've done SNL in the past and Bono has gotten a lot of exposure from Brian Williams over the past few years. Agree, maybe they'll be on in the fall, and especially when the next new album comes out.

Offline kstad

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Bono loves the New York snow
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
they did SNL already. i think it was two years ago.  they performed 3 songs --  the only band to do so on SNL.  why should they do SNL?  who watching that show anyway?

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:58:32 PM »
Yes, they are taking a different route this time.

Maybe when they return to the US when they are touring - they will start guesting on the NBC shows again.  They have virtually used up SNL to death - maybe now they felt it was time for a change.

Cheers,

J

Offline u290sbaby

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 11:21:51 AM »
I doubt U2 will perform on any television program once their tour starts. Very highly doubt it. Unless they broadcast a performance directly from one of their shows.

Remember that all the appearances now are part of the "Promo" tour which ends once their own real tour starts. I'm sure if they didn't do SNL, it was probably related to timing and booking issues. U2's window is very small right now since they have so many more promo stops in the coming days. They will then soon have to go and start rehearsing for the tour.

Offline oopski

• Stateless
  • And i don't know how to pray anymore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:09:49 PM »
Oh my, at 48 yrs old, Bono gets up, tries to pee, pours decaf and puts on GMA for the latest news and information...........SNL rocks!

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 12:21:14 PM »
they should be the entire SNL show.  During the musical bits they can sing songs off the new album.  For the comedic sketches they could play "A Man and a Woman" and "Miami."

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 05:20:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
they did SNL already. i think it was two years ago.  they performed 3 songs --  the only band to do so on SNL.  why should they do SNL?  who watching that show anyway?
Actually, I know Paul McCartney and Sting have done three songs on there as well, and I think Coldplay did three songs last year.

I still watch SNL.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 11:04:03 PM »
they didn't want to make tv on the radio look too bad!

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 05:06:56 AM »
Actually, I know Paul McCartney and Sting have done three songs on there as well, and I think Coldplay did three songs last year.

I still watch SNL.

It was 5 years ago.. They did 3 songs, and then did 2 more songs after the live show stopped broadcasting. So technically they did 5 songs on the SNL set.