Author Topic: This SOE Song Reminds Me of......  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Popette

• Babyface
  • Innocent, and in a sense I am
Re: This SOE Song Reminds Me of......
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »
The very beginning of Blackout reminds me of Zoo Station.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »
The opening guitar in "The Showman" reminds me of "Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'n' The Tears a little.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 08:45:29 AM »
The intro of Showman is a dead ringer for Victoria by Shed Seven from their new album. I wonder who wrote it first?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 06:24:28 AM »
Love is all we have left reminds me of Tindersticks (apart from the vocoder section) and that is why I instantly loved the song.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 04:57:17 PM »
Love Is All We Have Left reminds me of The Beatles - some of the lines and I think the timing changes for a measure in the chorus like it does in "All You Need is Love".

Summer of Love reminds me of something Kygo has done and would probably remix. I think it's that guitar riff.

Again, the Beatles are in You're The Best Thing About Me. That last chord Edge strums and the tone of it. Reminds me of Hard Day's Night or something earlier in their catalogue. They'd often end with a different variation of a chord in the same key...often the 7th version or a sus4. Something like that. I think YTBTAM does that. If not, I guess it's just the tone.

Beginning of Red Flag Day reminds me of Pearl Jam. Kind of a raw chord progression - some anger.

American Soul reminds me of something between The Clash and Sly and the Family Stone.

Landlady has The Killers all over it. Even the way Bono sings it.

This is tough for some but Love Is Bigger than Anything Its Way...big time Coldplay feel there.

The Blackout has some Real Thing and All Because of You...a little bit of Lucifer's Hands in the bass.

Lights Of Home reminded me of the Black Keys or a OneRepublic song called "Light it Up"...

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 09:14:21 AM »
The opening guitar in "The Showman" reminds me of "Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'n' The Tears a little.

Driver's Seat:  Bm A G
Showman: D A Bm A

The rhythm of Driver's Seat reminds me of the way Edge played "All Along the Watchtower."  So, it's possible that Edge has that rhythm in him.

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 09:18:33 AM »
The intro of Showman is a dead ringer for Victoria by Shed Seven from their new album. I wonder who wrote it first?

I am thoroughly enjoying that track. It has a 60's Lou Reed vibe in the open with the way the chords are left to ring (he wasn't a great guitar player), which would certainly be a connection to U2. Edge fills up the sound more by using like a 1-2-3-4, 1-2 pattern.  However, I think it was released in November, so that's a fast turn around for U2 to lift it.  I think probably both subconsciously lifted from Reed.

Thanks for mentioning a new band to become interested in.

Update:  My goodness how did I miss this band?  How did they never catch on in the US - 4 shows only?  Glad it's a snow day.  Again thanks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:36:08 AM by jonnydeaf »

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 11:15:32 AM »

Driver's Seat:  Bm A G
Showman: D A Bm A

The rhythm of Driver's Seat reminds me of the way Edge played "All Along the Watchtower."  So, it's possible that Edge has that rhythm in him.
Either way "Driver's Seat" is a great song...at least in my opinion :)

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 01:53:25 PM »
A great album

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »

I am thoroughly enjoying that track. It has a 60's Lou Reed vibe in the open with the way the chords are left to ring (he wasn't a great guitar player), which would certainly be a connection to U2. Edge fills up the sound more by using like a 1-2-3-4, 1-2 pattern.  However, I think it was released in November, so that's a fast turn around for U2 to lift it.  I think probably both subconsciously lifted from Reed.

Thanks for mentioning a new band to become interested in.

Update:  My goodness how did I miss this band?  How did they never catch on in the US - 4 shows only?  Glad it's a snow day.  Again thanks.
This is probably Shed Seven's finest song - Chasing Rainbows