Author Topic: Songs of Experience, a few weeks on  (Read 2556 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: Songs of Experience, a few weeks on
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 05:53:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think Bono's ego has got out of control on this album.

How so?

Offline Sonofabono

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »
I loved it when it first came out. Loved the themes of the record and loved how cohesive it was. The record reminds me of what Pop and Zooropa were, or at least what they were intended to be - all-out adoption of the sounds of the day, employed to say what the band had to say at the time about the times. The one-two punch of LIAWHL and Lights of Home at the start of the record is gutsy, probably as gutsy as Numb and Lemon and The Wanderer were back when Zooropa came out. I loved all of that and more when the record first came out.

The sheen has worn off a little bit for me. Part of that I think is the YTBTAM/GOOYOW/AS trio right at the front of the record. I keep going back and forth between "These are great"/"I don't know if I like this"/"This is just ok"/"I think I like this." Having that kind of mixed emotion right at the front of the record really hurts it for me. I've been playing around with a different track ordering that may help that for me. Here's what I got:

1. LIAWHL
2. Lights
3. Blackout
4. Summer of Love
5. YTBTAM
6. GOOYOW
7. American Soul
8. Red Flag Day
9. Showman
10. Landlady
11. Little Things
12. Love is Bigger
13. 13

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »
This is a five star album for me.  I like it even better now than initially. I've come to totally accept the three song run of You're the Best Thing (which I now consider a perfect U2 pop song after tiring of it initially) through American Soul.  Those three, plus the Blackout, are the weakest four tracks on the album to me, and they're all perfectly good songs (if a little too direct, lyrically). 

For context, I am not a huge fan of SOI, NLOTH, or HTDAAB.  Those are all good, three star albums in my book.  I'd give ATYCLB, Pop, and Zooropa four stars.  Which means, right now, I think SOE is their best since Achtung Baby (as crazy as that may sound). 

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 07:31:48 PM »
I personally stuggle with YTBTAB through to American Soul and that large stumbling block kind of destroys the early good will I have for the album. However I still really like at least 1/3rd of the songs and the other few aren't bad either so it's a good album but no where near their top 5 or 6.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 12:47:16 AM »
Following this band is just the craziest sh**. Just when I thought I was done with them after thirty odd years of fandom they go and pull an album like this out of the bag.
It's mature, lyrically strong and the way the music, the themes and the previously mentioned lyrics speak to past albums, not just SOI is one of the most intriguing things the band has ever done. It makes an absolute ass out of people like me who took SOI on its own, this album ties it together but also reaches back to POP with its lyrics.

The album is pretty uplifting despite its roots being in a dark place. I'm somewhere in the world where we are in the summer months which I think helps the whole enjoyment of the album. It's definitely a record to enjoy in the great outdoors with the sun on your back, the complete opposite to the gothic feel of Achtung Baby.

While I'm under no illusions that this album doesn't reach the heights of their most exalted offerings, they're the best version of the band they could possibly be at this stage in their career, and that is pretty impressive for a bunch of 50 something millionaires who have been doing what they do for so long.
I especially like how "Love is all we have Left..." transitions into and sets up "The Lights of Home," which in turn flows into "Best Thing," which starts (and ends) abruptly.  The album has a really nice flow.  I really appreciate how U2 still sticks to the album format even as it's going extinct.  I'm something of a dinosaur myself :)

I think the surprisingly ethereal opening of "Get Out of Your Own Way" sounds like a continuation from the end of "Best Thing" before Bono starts singing.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 05:14:57 AM »
Following this band is just the craziest sh**. Just when I thought I was done with them after thirty odd years of fandom they go and pull an album like this out of the bag.
It's mature, lyrically strong and the way the music, the themes and the previously mentioned lyrics speak to past albums, not just SOI is one of the most intriguing things the band has ever done. It makes an absolute ass out of people like me who took SOI on its own, this album ties it together but also reaches back to POP with its lyrics.

The album is pretty uplifting despite its roots being in a dark place. I'm somewhere in the world where we are in the summer months which I think helps the whole enjoyment of the album. It's definitely a record to enjoy in the great outdoors with the sun on your back, the complete opposite to the gothic feel of Achtung Baby.

While I'm under no illusions that this album doesn't reach the heights of their most exalted offerings, they're the best version of the band they could possibly be at this stage in their career, and that is pretty impressive for a bunch of 50 something millionaires who have been doing what they do for so long.
I especially like how "Love is all we have Left..." transitions into and sets up "The Lights of Home," which in turn flows into "Best Thing," which starts (and ends) abruptly.  The album has a really nice flow.  I really appreciate how U2 still sticks to the album format even as it's going extinct.  I'm something of a dinosaur myself :)

I think the surprisingly ethereal opening of "Get Out of Your Own Way" sounds like a continuation from the end of "Best Thing" before Bono starts singing.
It does.  For me the spoken word ending of "Get Out of Your Own Way" makes for a dramatic segue into "American Soul," which for me improves a song that I can take or leave.  The chaos of "American Soul" then settles into the calmness of "Summer of Love."

Offline robbover

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
This is a five star album for me.  I like it even better now than initially. I've come to totally accept the three song run of You're the Best Thing (which I now consider a perfect U2 pop song after tiring of it initially) through American Soul.  Those three, plus the Blackout, are the weakest four tracks on the album to me, and they're all perfectly good songs (if a little too direct, lyrically). 

For context, I am not a huge fan of SOI, NLOTH, or HTDAAB.  Those are all good, three star albums in my book.  I'd give ATYCLB, Pop, and Zooropa four stars.  Which means, right now, I think SOE is their best since Achtung Baby (as crazy as that may sound).

+1

I have set it down for at least 3-4 days on 2 different occasions over the course of the month, in order to come back to it and see if it still holds up... and it does. For me, this record has at least 4 classic U2 tracks, and although the 4 songs U2 have chosen to promote are my least favorite on the record, they are not bad tunes by any means.

Offline eldercantrell@yahoo.com

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 09:29:17 PM »
Um, crystal ballroom and invisible are on soi. Oridnary love IS on Soe. I mean, you cant exactly say oh id like no line even more if it had city of blinding lights and original of the species. Furthermore, summer of love, red flag day and love is all we have left are everybit as good if not better than the trio of ordinary love, invisible and crystal ballroom. Tho the latter two especially are terrific songs. Summer of love is brilliant as is red flag day. And love is all we have left is a brilliant opener that sets up the album perfectly sonically and thematically.

Offline mambojoe

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 06:55:59 PM »
The album gets better with me with each listen, and I need to listen to all the tracks all the way through every time. I think it's a great collection of songs. I also think Little Things gives the band an out for having to play Streets on this year's tour. That song, Landlady, Summer of Love, and Love is Bigger give me chills with every listen. Can't wait to experience them live. Saw a lot of harsh reviews within the first week of release and thought there was no way to do an thoughtful review so quickly.