Author Topic: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States  (Read 22248 times)

Offline ricebird5678

• Wanderer
Re: Songs Of Experience sales in the United States
« Reply #300 on: October 27, 2018, 07:13:07 AM »
Any update on how worldwide sales are going? Curious if the European Tour has boosted worldwide sales.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #301 on: October 27, 2018, 09:16:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Any update on how worldwide sales are going? Curious if the European Tour has boosted worldwide sales.

There is lots of information on the United States sales because often the soundscan top 200 is posted or other information from soundscan such as updates for specific albums gets posted. Outside the United States, when an album drops out of the top 20 or top 40, it gets very difficult to get any information on it. I'm sure there were some minor improvements in sales, but nothing that would have boosted the album back into the top 50 in any country in Europe. Worldwide the album shipped 1.5 million copies and I do not believe that actual sales have gone beyond that shipment figure.

As said before, streaming is where most people listen to music, as opposed to purchasing an album digitally or physically. Purchasing music and having either a digital collection or physical collection of albums, for most people, is a thing of the past.

But in U2's case, since their streaming numbers are soo tiny, most people listening to the new U2 album are doing it from album purchases, digital or physical, as opposed to streaming. So in that respect, its still relevant to follow these sales. Overall though, Songs Of Experience is definitely the least popular album of U2's career when you adjust for the fact that worldwide, the overwhelming majority of people stream music as opposed to buying it, and U2's streaming numbers for the latest album are tiny.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #302 on: December 10, 2018, 01:20:42 PM »
New total sales estimate for Songs of Experience in the United States. Its at 327,000 now in total, with about 80,000 of that number having been sold in 2018.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #303 on: December 10, 2018, 05:45:40 PM »
Wow, that seems really low.  Does that count the give away CD's we received after ordering concert tickets?  I think I had about three freebies.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #304 on: December 10, 2018, 05:52:37 PM »
Wow, that seems really low.  Does that count the give away CD's we received after ordering concert tickets?  I think I had about three freebies.

Yep, it counts all physical and digital copies of the album sold whether through individual purchase or with the ticket bundle.

Offline ricebird5678

• Wanderer
« Reply #305 on: December 11, 2018, 03:11:37 PM »
CD sales are dead. I appreciate the 'album' concept as much as the next guy, but I drive a 2017 truck and it does not even come with a CD player!

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #306 on: December 11, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »
CD sales are dead. I appreciate the 'album' concept as much as the next guy, but I drive a 2017 truck and it does not even come with a CD player!
Exactly.  The album concept does not necessarily need to die with the CD but it will probably suffer.  The thing people have a hard time accepting is that musicians existed before the invention of recording.   Recording technology created a temporary (70+? Years) opportunity for a very small subset of all musicians to get rich.  Technology is now taking away that opportunity.  The world is always changing but music will still be with us in some form or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk