Author Topic: Why were U2 inducted so early into the Rock-'n'-roll Hall of Fame?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
Any Rock-'n'-roll aficionados care to weigh in?

Our beloved band was inducted in 2004(?) During their Vertigo era.

In 2018, I heard on the radio news that Bon Jovi and Dire Straits were inducted this year. These acts are older than U2 age-wise, and have been around longer.

So why was U2 cemented in the HoF when U2 was only 44,45 years old? And the JT album (their ticket to superstardom) was only 17 yo?

Was it the commercial success of atyclb, followed up by a good commercial showing with htdaab/Vertigo single?

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Re: Why were U2 inducted so early into the Rock-'n'-roll Hall of Fame?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »
Maybe because U2 are better than Bon Jovi and more successful than Dire Straits.

There are many great or successful bands that don't make the cut for different reasons - I am miffed that the Replacements aren't in. U2 checked all the boxes.

Offline cberoldo

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 02:40:07 PM »
Any band or artist qualifies for being inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame only after 25 years since their first single.
Some bands get inducted as soon as those 25 years pass, as U2 were, and some are inducted later, as Bon Jovi and many others.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:47:12 PM »
U2 had already acchieved the status of a classic band at that time (it was the first year in which they were elegible, btw), because they had two of the most important albums of rock music and plenty of other highly regarded albums throughout different decades. They had a fair share of big hits, their tours were massive and they had sold 100+ million records, making them one of the most succesful acts ever and with great longevity. Basically, at that time a lot of people used to put them alongside other giants like Beatles, Rolling Stones, Zeppelin etc, although their morale have fallen since then.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »
It would be easy to talk about U2 being in the top 5, or even the top 3, rock bands in history. That can't be said about the other acts you mentioned. I think that was the main reason.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 04:01:35 PM »
Thanks all. I didn't know U2 were inducted the first year they were eligible. I'd argue Bon Jovi has at least 10+ "everyone has heard of this song" hits, same with Dire Straits. I'm not real familiar with either. Dire Strait's Sultans of Swing is definitely a more technically complex song than most U2 hits (U2 songs aren't complicated at all, all fans know that).

U2 also has 10ish "everyone has heard of this songs", if I were to only list their greatest most-radio-played hits that non-fans should know: BD, WOWY, Vertigo, Stuck, Bullet, SBS

Our babies were so young in 2004, and they really had the world at their feet then. What a time to cement their induction.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 04:13:37 PM »
I think the question is more "why aren't Bon Jovi or Dire Straits inducted" and not "why are U2 inducted." Because, of course they are inducted. Perhaps the other guys should be too, but that doesn't take away from U2's undeniable stature in R&R history.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Any Rock-'n'-roll aficionados care to weigh in?

Our beloved band was inducted in 2004(?) During their Vertigo era.

In 2018, I heard on the radio news that Bon Jovi and Dire Straits were inducted this year. These acts are older than U2 age-wise, and have been around longer.

So why was U2 cemented in the HoF when U2 was only 44,45 years old? And the JT album (their ticket to superstardom) was only 17 yo?

Was it the commercial success of atyclb, followed up by a good commercial showing with htdaab/Vertigo single?

Music artist are eligible for the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after their first official release. I'm not sure if this was Boy or U2-3, but U2 were inducted into the Hall of Fame in early 2005. They got in, in their first year of eligibility. Artist who make it into the Hall Of Fame in their first year of eligibility are usually very highly regarded and thought of as legendary to a degree that many other artist are not.

The Police made it into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame in their first year of eligibility in early 2003. I think Pearl Jam also made it in their first year of eligibility.

Other artist though have a more difficult time making it in. Bon Jovi's first release was not until 1984, many years after U2. Dire Straits first release was a little before U2, but not by much. I suppose they made it this year because the votes were there and the competition was not as heavy in previous years.

I'm not sure if this was Radioheads first year of eligibility or not, but they did not make it in. Perhaps their first year of eligibility is not until next year. I would expect Radiohead to make it in their first year because they have very strong backing among music critics and journalist.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
Basically, at that time a lot of people used to put them alongside other giants like Beatles, Rolling Stones, Zeppelin etc, although their morale have fallen since then.

U2 have been put up among the top bands ever since the release of Joshua Tree in 1987. Although the bands popularity(the popularity of their new music) has declined in this decade, they are still regarded as one of the greatest bands of all time and have been for decades now.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 04:58:58 PM »
Dire Strait's Sultans of Swing is definitely a more technically complex song than most U2 hits (U2 songs aren't complicated at all, all fans know that).

Technically complex does not mean a piece of music is better than one that is not as technically complex.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 05:38:06 PM »
Random fact. I was just looking up director Phil Joanou, who directed many U2 music vids where Bono does "dramatic acting". Joanou also directed Bon Jovi in "Keep the Faith".

Joanou also directed Rattle&Hum docu, and some movie called State of Grace with my fave Gary Oldman.