Author Topic: ***SPOILERS - set list update- SPOILERS***  (Read 5773 times)

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
Re: ***SPOILERS - set list update- SPOILERS***
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
If there was ever a tour to drop some of the classics, this is it.  They're touring the US for the third time in four years.

I hope Desire becomes a fixture this time around and doesn't get rotated out some nights.  I want it loud with drums, not a stripped down B-stage version.

Offline alodhia

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 09:38:38 PM »
I am just grateful we get to see the band again - I am flying from Australia to see them in Las Vegas.. Done the same for the past 4 tours. So I am not concerned about the setlist because they will put up an amazing show either way.

Let’s just embrace and enjoy the shows !!!

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 05:53:30 AM »
Going by this last rehearsal setlist that is 11 songs, 12 if you count LIBTATIIW which is pre-recorded intro that U2 are going to be playing for their last 2 albums SOI and SOE.  Given this, I really don't think the casual fan (which makes up most of the audience) are going to be thrilled, regardless of the rest of the set.

What is going to add the their frustration is no songs played off of the JT, which is going to leave most of the audience leaving the arena thinking they still haven't  found what they're looking for.

If this is the case, with U2 playing so many new songs from the last 2 albums, maybe to make a definite statement that they are not going down the path of becoming nostalgic act like so many bands before them, why not take it further?

If most casual fans are going to be peeved of with this set anyway, with so many new songs and lack of JT songs, why not just add some more rarities for the hard core fans then and make this a more interesting set, if this is the statement that U2 wants to make.

I really think, if U2 senses lack of enthusiasm by the crowd in the first few shows, you can bet they are going to cut down the number of new songs for both SOI and SOE and add more crowd favs that we have already heard a million times.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 05:59:07 AM »
This latest rehearsal set is 26 songs (counting LIAWHL), not 11. Looks like the full set.

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 06:19:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ocean would be very cool to hear. 

The played The Ocean on the Vertigo tour.  Snoozefest.  Only the die hards recognize it. If they wan to bring back rarities, try 11 O'Clock Tick Tock The Electric Co. 

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 06:21:16 AM »
This set is a good start. I think it's worth remembering that on the ie tour they ended up playing over 50 different songs, so very early days yet........

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 09:14:41 AM »
Not Enough 'Experience'...  Too Much Filler from 'Innocence' (the two best songs are missing)...  and too many oldies that are way past their Best Before dates...  not as disappointed about them skipping Vancouver this time around...:-)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 09:28:27 AM »
Willie W just said all kinds of stuff that conflict with the rehearsal.

Like JT stuff will be played.

And specifically said setlist is 75% new, though he admitted there would obviously be hits and the Cedarwood portion would reprise.

This is my first rodeo so I don't know how to take that.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 09:35:49 AM »
To clarify my "this is my first rodeo" remark, it's not my first tour. It's, uh, my second. But nobody on the Internet releasing spoilers back in 1992 - so I just mean I don't know if this stuff is typical and turns out to be nothing.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 09:58:24 AM »
Willie W just said all kinds of stuff that conflict with the rehearsal.

Like JT stuff will be played.

That's not exactly what he said. He said "Obviously, we are repeating songs from both of the previous tours". Nothing about whether they'll actually play tracks off TJT album.

He also said "There isn't the same sense of obligation because we haven't been through town in a long time. It's been quite liberating". Which could be taken to mean that nothing in their back catalogue is sacred. I only hope that Streets is played, wouldn't mind if every other warhorse was rested from this tour.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:03:26 AM by d.darroch »

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 10:01:07 AM »
Point taken on JT.

But he still said 75% new setlist. Don't know what to make of that.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »
I went to TJT 2017 twice (May and Sept) so I also wouldn't mind WoWY, Still Haven't, and Bullet taking a break....but STREETS!  It's that magic moment.  If they can somehow convey that feeling in any other song, I'll be delighted.  Little Things, maybe?

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »
But he still said 75% new setlist. Don't know what to make of that.

There's quite a few people that aren't happy with that statement (though we'd love it to be true). Yeah, Bono lies, we know it & take everything he says about tours with a grain of salt. But not Willie! This is new, & not good. It's either that, or 11 repeated songs only make up 25% of the setlist. Which means we're in for a 44 song show, sweet!  ;)

Guess, although he doesn't state it, he was actually referring to his section of the show, the production & the visuals. So 25% of the show will be the same, repeated songs/same visuals. The rest will be made up of new songs & repeated songs with new visuals (considered to be new production elements).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:54:52 AM by d.darroch »

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »
I'm fine with it - whichever way it goes (which is probably likely to be no TJT songs therefore no nostalgia, and lots of newer and rarer stuff)  ;D

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 12:03:55 PM »
The first time he mentions 75%, it sounds like it could just be the screen production and stuff.

But then RS says:
How different will the set list be from the Innocence tour?

And Willie replies:
Probably I'd say three quarters of the show will be new.

So I don't know how it will actually shake out but that's clearly the set list.

And it boggles my mind that Little Things won't be in it. They have to know how it's been received, as an emotional center of the album.