Author Topic: U2's Stage Director Breaks Down the Band's New Experience + Innocence Tour  (Read 3072 times)

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know they have been rehearsing 25-26 song sets, which in my opinion is not even long, but long for U2 I guess

Most bands I see live rarely go over 18 songs total. So usually if it's a band I really like, a two hour show with anything above 20 is fine by me. That and I tend to find that when some acts head towards 30+ or the three-hour mark, they start losing me a bit.

First world problems though.

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
Does anyone really ever believe Willie Williams when it comes to the set list?

I’ve read loads of his interviews in past tours and he generally comes across as either vague or like he truthfully doesn’t know.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
I know they have been rehearsing 25-26 song sets, which in my opinion is not even long, but long for U2 I guess

Most bands I see live rarely go over 18 songs total. So usually if it's a band I really like, a two hour show with anything above 20 is fine by me. That and I tend to find that when some acts head towards 30+ or the three-hour mark, they start losing me a bit.

First world problems though.
Maybe for new bands that quite don't enough material yet, but the trend for veteran bands seem to play longer.  Springsteen, nothing to be said here, in a league of his own, Peal Jam play 3 hour shows, Rush plays 3 hour shows, G"n"R played 3 hour shows, Mcartney plays 3 hour shows.  For the price U2 charges they should be doing this.
Also, no problem myself with 3 hour shows and losing interest.  Went to Springsteen River tour, 3 and a  half hour show.  Did not lose interest for one second, especially after the River and then you are in Boss Time, when you don't know what he is going to sing.  Few lucky cities got close to 4 hour show.
For U2, I'd be happy to get even a 2 and a half hour show.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
I attended Bruce's "Born in the USA".  Great concert, but it went on forever.  I think it was a bit of overkill, but then I'm only a moderate Bruce fan.

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
I attended Bruce's "Born in the USA".  Great concert, but it went on forever.  I think it was a bit of overkill, but then I'm only a moderate Bruce fan.

I once saw a stand-up comedian who said that he had attended a Dokken concert.  He said that the concert was interminably long, and every time he thought it was over, Dokken would come back on stage, saying "you wouldn't let us leave", to which the comedian replied, "screw you, you didn't turn on the lights." 

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Speaking for myself, I'm fine with the set length, as long as the show is great.

For one thing, leaving them wanting more is a good rule - obviously don't leave them feeling cheated, but just like, wow, that was great, I need to see them again.

But most of all, I would like Bono to not kill his voice, please, and I would like Larry to keep his back and not have his arms fall off. I assume Edge's and Adam's fingers are safe, but let's say a prayer for their digits too.

I saw Bruno Mars last year and I am pretty sure his set had fewer songs, not to mention he blew through them like he was late for dinner, every song was speeded up considerably in tempo. Meh.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Maybe for new bands that quite don't enough material yet, but the trend for veteran bands seem to play longer.  Springsteen, nothing to be said here, in a league of his own, Peal Jam play 3 hour shows, Rush plays 3 hour shows, G"n"R played 3 hour shows, Mcartney plays 3 hour shows.  For the price U2 charges they should be doing this.
Also, no problem myself with 3 hour shows and losing interest.  Went to Springsteen River tour, 3 and a  half hour show.  Did not lose interest for one second, especially after the River and then you are in Boss Time, when you don't know what he is going to sing.  Few lucky cities got close to 4 hour show.
For U2, I'd be happy to get even a 2 and a half hour show.

I think the 3-hour thing is more of the exception than anything though. It's expected that newer acts play less than 20, like you said, just due to the lack of material. But I see plenty of "veteran acts" that don't hit even 20 these days. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Duran Duran and Metallica come to mind as recent examples for me, and that usually seems like the norm there. AC/DC played exactly 20 at one I saw, I think. Then there's a few like Green Day or U2 that get above 20 by a few, which is probably the other side of the coin. Anything above that is usually limited to just a few acts, if any.

Right. If someone's a "die hard" or knows most of the songs, that probably helps the process a bit. But most people probably aren't. Heck, even for the 3-4 acts I enjoy the most, I'd probably still be hard pressed to not get a bit antsy if it gets beyond the two-and-a-half hour mark. That's just me though.