Author Topic: **SPOILERS** Tulsa #U2eiTour Opening Night Official Thread  (Read 10012 times)

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
Re: **SPOILERS** Tulsa #U2eiTour Opening Night Official Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2018, 04:07:28 AM »
Any videos of Love is Bigger?

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2018, 04:31:33 AM »
Here ya go:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Great to see U2 finally try a show that leans on '90s, '00s, and '10s.  If they just swapped out Elevation and Vertigo for something like Discotheque and Daddy's Gonna Pay it would be just about perfect.

Offline kj011

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2018, 04:59:32 AM »
I think they should somehow find a way to add Little Things into the setlist and end the show on Love Is Bigger.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:03:57 AM by kj011 »

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2018, 07:50:49 AM »
This set-list is my worst nightmare. 12 songs from the most recent mediocre albums and so few from War, Boy, Unforgettable Fire? I am not asking for the hits to come back, but this is a snoozfest. Nooooo!

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This set-list is my worst nightmare. 12 songs from the most recent mediocre albums and so few from War, Boy, Unforgettable Fire? I am not asking for the hits to come back, but this is a snoozfest. Nooooo!
boohoo. Vote with your dollars and watch Red Rocks DVD.

It's my "nightmare" (how dramatic) because of necessary fillers like Elevation, Vertigo, Pride, Desire. So I won't make any ei trips.

Offline MariosMantzos

« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2018, 08:06:42 AM »
Hello everyone.

I have read and considered the most of the opinions about the setlist of the U2 E+I Tour opening gig and I feel good that no one changed my view about it.

I am really happy that the band, for the first time after so many years, have chosen to "sacrifice" some great and classic hits like Streets and WOWY to give themselves and the fans some fresh air. Some of U2 fans do not (want to) know that U2 are not only hits. U2 can make a f****ng awesome setlist WITHOUT hits.

Yes, they can do a top show without WOWY, Streets, Beautiful Day, Vertigo etc etc. You do not need "and you give yourself away" to break your heart in a U2 gig.

There are many songs that we will never being bored to listen to. But I think it was a time that we, the fans, needed something new. Not something new from the new album. Something new from the past. Acrobat is the best gift from the glorious U2 past.

It is really nice to watch U2 in 2018 remembering that their history is not dead. Some songs "died" just a few years after their release. U2 make them being reborn. Staring At The Sun is one of them and of course Wild Horses.

Finally, I totally agree with the full rest of "The Joshua Tree" album. They were playing it ALL for 5 months until October 2017 (just 6 months ago). It would be a monotonous mistake if they played it again (except of some songs like Exit).

I hope they will give more chances to the 90s, 'cause "we need it now..."

Thanks for your time. Cheers from Greece. Mario

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2018, 08:09:36 AM »

Really liking this hope we get it in EU

Offline achtungbhoy

• Babyface
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »

It's my "nightmare" (how dramatic) because of necessary fillers like Elevation, Vertigo, Pride, Desire. So I won't make any ei trips.

Like it or not, those "fillers" are in there because they work well live. Time and again. They get the crowd moving and balance out the more serious stuff.

As for too much stuff from the last two albums, well it is the Experience and Innocence tour. They've always been about playing their new stuff.

Offline achtungbhoy

• Babyface
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2018, 08:17:08 AM »
Hello everyone.

I have read and considered the most of the opinions about the setlist of the U2 E+I Tour opening gig and I feel good that no one changed my view about it.

I am really happy that the band, for the first time after so many years, have chosen to "sacrifice" some great and classic hits like Streets and WOWY to give themselves and the fans some fresh air. Some of U2 fans do not (want to) know that U2 are not only hits. U2 can make a f****ng awesome setlist WITHOUT hits.

Yes, they can do a top show without WOWY, Streets, Beautiful Day, Vertigo etc etc. You do not need "and you give yourself away" to break your heart in a U2 gig.

There are many songs that we will never being bored to listen to. But I think it was a time that we, the fans, needed something new. Not something new from the new album. Something new from the past. Acrobat is the best gift from the glorious U2 past.

It is really nice to watch U2 in 2018 remembering that their history is not dead. Some songs "died" just a few years after their release. U2 make them being reborn. Staring At The Sun is one of them and of course Wild Horses.

Finally, I totally agree with the full rest of "The Joshua Tree" album. They were playing it ALL for 5 months until October 2017 (just 6 months ago). It would be a monotonous mistake if they played it again (except of some songs like Exit).

I hope they will give more chances to the 90s, 'cause "we need it now..."

Thanks for your time. Cheers from Greece. Mario

Good comments...

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2018, 08:26:45 AM »

Like it or not, those "fillers" are in there because they work well live. Time and again. They get the crowd moving and balance out the more serious stuff.

As for too much stuff from the last two albums, well it is the Experience and Innocence tour. They've always been about playing their new stuff.
you have a point. I'm glad like Mario said, they sacrificed some other big staples to give us soi+soe.

Hope this thread isn't taken over by the "soi+soe suxxx imho" crowd. Like you said, tour is called ei. Don't like, should have bought jt2017 Tix instead.

Offline u2fannewyorkinok

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rut Roh!
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »
Last night was most certainly NOT a snooze fest! There certainly is no comparison between this show and past shows. It definitely was about the experience and was like nothing I’ve ever seen before. The crowd was definitely not bored like I’ve seen in other posts. It was awesome seeing songs live that I’ve never seen performed before, the augmented reality portion was cool, the stage setup was eye-popping, and over all it was a great “experience”. I wasn’t expecting a greatest hits show and was actually surprised that so many older songs were played. Wish I could go to another show!

To anyone saying the crowd looked bored, keep in mind the entire state was under the threat of a tornado outbreak so yes, people did have to keep one eye on what was going on outside.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2018, 09:20:20 AM »
For what it’s worth, here are my thoughts: overall, I’m a fan of this. If you tabulate the different songs from their different decades, there were 5 songs from the 80s, 5 songs from the 90s, and 5 songs from the 00s (6 if you count the HMTMKMKM intermission), w the rest coming from the two albums that are backing this tour.

In terms of the tipping their cap to their more classic cannon, this strikes me as being a fair balance. And, I say this as one who does thing that 13 (There Is A Light) would segue perfectly into Streets, which would be a really badass, high energy note to end on, maybe even w Bono giving some cheesy line of going home to “where the streets have no name”.

In terms of my quibbles: I hate the MacPhisto throwback. Don’t get be wrong: I don’t hate the IDEA of their doing this; I just hate the execution of it. I missed the ZooTV tour, and my exposure to the onstage character stems from both their Sydney dvd and live bootlegs. While he made good, smart, thought provoking points back then, it was done in such a cheeky way that it was wildly entertaining and hilarious, all at the same time. Last night wasn’t MacPhisto, last night was a caricature of The Joker, if he’d had a baby with the devil, or maybe Pennywise, the demonic clown from It. No humor, no wit, just more blatant leftist politicking from the band. And, I say this as someone who generally agrees w their political leanings (emphasis on the “general”; if the moderators wouldn’t ban me for it, I’d happily write up a treatise to summarize where I disagree). As they’ve gotten older, it has, sadly, become more and more apparent of how much of an echo chamber they seem to live in.

All in all, I was blown away by the performance, the song selection (though, what happened to The Showman?). With that said, I do think that one has a right to gripe about having not even a single song from Joshua Tree, being their top selling album of all time, if they have paid for those egregiously overpriced $325 tickets.

Offline achtungbhoy

• Babyface
« Reply #132 on: May 03, 2018, 09:30:15 AM »

you have a point. I'm glad like Mario said, they sacrificed some other big staples to give us soi+soe.

Hope this thread isn't taken over by the "soi+soe suxxx imho" crowd. Like you said, tour is called ei. Don't like, should have bought jt2017 Tix instead.

Absolutely....

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2018, 09:33:09 AM »
About the crowd - listening last night on mixlr, I felt like the crowd was ecstatic.

Watching on YT this morning - crowd seemed subdued.

Which is the truth, I don't know.

Re MacPhisto, that was a true surprise. I don't know yet what to think of the execution, but I sense it was probably genius and the right thing. I haven't wrapped my head around it yet but a few things occur. 1992 MacPhisto really can't come back. We could try to shoehorn him into 2018 Bono, but no. Also, if you were standing in 1992 and seeing the future of MacPhisto decades later, would you see him as unchanged except for the wrinkles? No. He was going to burn up. Also I think times have changed in a way where the joking is over.

MacPhisto was a shiny, vain man, and now his mask has come off.

I think I gotta read Screwtape Letters.

Offline lowlight10

« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2018, 10:34:16 AM »
Did anybody use the AR app last night at the show?  Is there audio coming through as well or just video?  Also, what if your in a spot where you can't point your phone at the big screen?