Author Topic: **SPOILERS** Tulsa #U2eiTour Opening Night Official Thread  (Read 8924 times)

Offline World71R

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
Re: **SPOILERS** Tulsa #U2eiTour Opening Night Official Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here ya go:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Great to see U2 finally try a show that leans on '90s, '00s, and '10s.  If they just swapped out Elevation and Vertigo for something like Discotheque and Daddy's Gonna Pay it would be just about perfect.

I don't see them swapping Vertigo, nor putting in Daddy's Gonna Pay, but that would be awesome! Discotheque going in for Elevation would be more likely, considering they have dabbled with Discotheque previously and the two songs serve almost the same purpose except Elevation is shorter and more immediate.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2018, 10:59:26 AM »
This set-list is my worst nightmare. 12 songs from the most recent mediocre albums and so few from War, Boy, Unforgettable Fire? I am not asking for the hits to come back, but this is a snoozfest. Nooooo!
boohoo. Vote with your dollars and watch Red Rocks DVD.

It's my "nightmare" (how dramatic) because of necessary fillers like Elevation, Vertigo, Pride, Desire. So I won't make any ei trips.

Like it or not, those "fillers" are in there because they work well live. Time and again. They get the crowd moving and balance out the more serious stuff.

As for too much stuff from the last two albums, well it is the Experience and Innocence tour. They've always been about playing their new stuff.

With all due respect - and all of this is our opinions as fans - they have never played so many songs from the most recent album, at least not in years. On the innocence leg they played 0 songs from the previous album, so to me 4 is high, plus I don't like this or the last album so I have that to deal with. I am still looking forward to seeing my old friends.

Offline mfrix

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2018, 11:12:36 AM »
Hey everyone! First time poster, longtime fan (also an admittedly recent lurker here, as rumors of the current tour have emerged). Nice to virtually meet everyone.

Wanted to throw out my .02 about what the videos I've seen/posts I've read regarding opening night, since I agree with a lot of what I've read from all of you...

Let's start with this... Acrobat was crushed. I wasn't there last night, but based on the videos that are available, I don't know if anyone can argue that. And that song's presence (along with what sounds like was a great rendition of Horses) may be enough to get me to splurge on a ticket in Chicago - hoping it stays in the set.

I've only seen the band once (U2 360 tour in Chicago - my entire family went and it's a show I'll always remember). It's not that I don't do my best to get to the shows. I wish I could be at every single one in my area. But I'm a grade school music teacher and a musician on the side, so $300+ for a prime ticket to a show is a bit steep, blah blah blah...excuses. Whatever.

Anyways, the unique aspects of this setlist may get me to pull the trigger on some tickets in the secondary market (whatever's available and affordable over the next few weeks). I think most of us, while it may be a bit on the selfish side, would take Acrobat and Horses over Streets and WOWY.

However, I also look at that setlist and - without any representation from their "big album" - it seems almost incomplete or a little empty. I read that some people were walking out and/or disappointed with the set, which could have been someone sick of the politicking or a more casual fan upset at the absence of songs that probably intrigued him/her about the band in the first place. At $200-$325, I honestly can't blame them for that second reason.

Now, the production looked pretty stunning and the length of the set is very respectable. 27 songs. Props.

But, trim some of the fat and filler that's just there for the sake of being there, and all of a sudden, you still have a fresh show AND you're appealing to casual fans and/or the ones that don't get out to every tour.

1. Unless I missed something, you don't need Song For Someone and 13. Maybe, it's a tie-in to the narrative, but pick one or the other.
2. All Because of You, it's not needed. Cool that it's back 12 years later, but I feel like that's the only purpose it has. Just to be there for "rarity" purposes.
3. You're the Best Thing About Me... great single, loved it when I first heard it, but yikes...that acoustic version... maybe the sound quality was bad on the video, but it sounded flat and pointless. Axe it and throw in Little Things, imo.

End of the rant. Everyone enjoy St. Louis tomorrow. Maybe I'll see you in Chicago. Cheers!

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
This set-list is my worst nightmare. 12 songs from the most recent mediocre albums and so few from War, Boy, Unforgettable Fire? I am not asking for the hits to come back, but this is a snoozfest. Nooooo!
boohoo. Vote with your dollars and watch Red Rocks DVD.

It's my "nightmare" (how dramatic) because of necessary fillers like Elevation, Vertigo, Pride, Desire. So I won't make any ei trips.

Like it or not, those "fillers" are in there because they work well live. Time and again. They get the crowd moving and balance out the more serious stuff.

As for too much stuff from the last two albums, well it is the Experience and Innocence tour. They've always been about playing their new stuff.

With all due respect - and all of this is our opinions as fans - they have never played so many songs from the most recent album, at least not in years. On the innocence leg they played 0 songs from the previous album, so to me 4 is high, plus I don't like this or the last album so I have that to deal with. I am still looking forward to seeing my old friends.

That's because the previous album was NLOTH.

Also... this is E&I, not E&fuhgedaboutI.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
Welcome, mfrix. I'm new here, too, just a few weeks. Probably half my posts are from last night. I'm super psyched.

You don't have to feel bad about only going to one show.

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
Acrobat.
My Song. Only song that is tatooed on my body.
Ive just seen performance
Actual tears + goosebumps
this song has got me out of darkest hours.
Its my Prayer.
I have now seen it all

very happy for you.  Red Hill mining town was that for me last tour.  nothing like seeing "your" song.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »
LMAO laoghrie!! It's U2 fault for leaving a 3 year gap between I and e.

Offline roma70

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2018, 12:25:44 PM »
Looks like a great show but why does it appear that Bono is lip syncing to the opening LIAWHL. There is absolutely no reason for him to not sing that live.

Offline rlabs19

• Refugee
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »
Great setlist. Very happy with the mix of old and new. Would still prefer to have a few TJT songs survive the last tour (In God's Country, One Tree Hill, Exit), but having Acrobat and WGRYWH is solid.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2018, 12:50:31 PM »
Great, now that U2 have got the length of the show right, they give us a horrible setlist.  Just too many snoozing parts.

That whole section from I Will Follow to UTEOTW is just going to test peoples patience.  That's a big chunck of concert time just to get a rehash of 2015.  News flash to U2: Probably about 95 percent of the audience has seen this already and probably multiple times in 2015.  We know that part of the story.  Don't rehash.  And we got to listen to that horrible version of SBS.

Then they have that acoustic set that is going to put people asleep again.  Great time to take pee break and get some beer.  Can't believe they are not playing Best Thing full band.  Leave it to U2 to butcher songs.  This version is even more horrendous than SBS.
Even on I&E, they butchered EBW.  Really wanted to hear that full band electric.

Then, what a horrible choice of closing with 13.  I can just see mass exodus of people towards the exits on this one.
Really hope U2 change this up by Montreal.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2018, 12:58:02 PM »
One of the best setlists I've seen from U2 in ages. The energy coming from that show was phenomenal.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2018, 01:00:03 PM »
^almost agree boomboom. 13 will bring me to my knees crying. But like ballads, one must hear the high quality album version first to get the full beauty impact. People hearing 13 for the first time live it can be a snoozer.

I've accepted that with U2 shows, they "waste" 1/3 of setlist on songs I could take or leave. Like the crowd warmers Desire and Pride. How many times have I heard that. So decided it's not worth an ei ticket and travel this year.

olimar

« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2018, 01:04:18 PM »
I dont have a problem with what they are omitting and what they have added is quite refreshing in some ways.

But they set out with a clear identity for an "innocence and experience" tour 3 years ago. They then had to revise that concept as the 2nd album wasnt available and the two night pair of shows wasnt workable.

The elephant in the room for me is that they are now essentially revisiting the original concept to deliver it in a way they werent able to last time, rather than it being a 2nd act of some sort.

It is what it is, they couldnt do it quite as they might have wanted 3 years ago, but to bring a whole segment of it back again (6 songs, 25 mins or whatever), with almost identical visuals too, is pretty weak. Im fine with the idea of using the same staging/screen and Im sure there is a large variation on the general concept from what was put forward 3 years ago, but they should be able to put across a concept without needing to retread the exact same visuals and songs, in the exact same order too- surely there should be some variation given the cost of the tickets?

Imagine the reaction if they had got to the middle of the show and declared the midpoint of innocence and experience as the Joshua Tree phase. Then proceeded to play the first 6 songs from the JT in order, with the exact same visuals as the shows last summer?

Im not particularly buying the idea to drop the JT songs as a creative, liberating decision first and foremost either. Id imagine the reason is more about trying to distance this tour as much as possible from the tour that happened last year, to make sure they dont lose a big chunk of their more transient audience.

Offline Ron2112

• Babyface
« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »
I dont have a problem with what they are omitting and what they have added is quite refreshing in some ways.

But they set out with a clear identity for an "innocence and experience" tour 3 years ago. They then had to revise that concept as the 2nd album wasnt available and the two night pair of shows wasnt workable.

The elephant in the room for me is that they are now essentially revisiting the original concept to deliver it in a way they werent able to last time, rather than it being a 2nd act of some sort.

It is what it is, they couldnt do it quite as they might have wanted 3 years ago, but to bring a whole segment of it back again (6 songs, 25 mins or whatever), with almost identical visuals too, is pretty weak. Im fine with the idea of using the same staging/screen and Im sure there is a large variation on the general concept from what was put forward 3 years ago, but they should be able to put across a concept without needing to retread the exact same visuals and songs, in the exact same order too- surely there should be some variation given the cost of the tickets?

Imagine the reaction if they had got to the middle of the show and declared the midpoint of innocence and experience as the Joshua Tree phase. Then proceeded to play the first 6 songs from the JT in order, with the exact same visuals as the shows last summer?

Im not particularly buying the idea to drop the JT songs as a creative, liberating decision first and foremost either. Id imagine the reason is more about trying to distance this tour as much as possible from the tour that happened last year, to make sure they dont lose a big chunk of their more transient audience.

I think this pretty much hits it on the head. 

Gid rid of "Elevation" and "Desire".  Replace with Streets and WOWY.  Get rid of "Until the End of the World" -- replace with "Bad."  Kill "Staring at the Sun" and replace with "The Fly".  Then thank me for completely fixing the set list.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
Omg I love it! This show is gonna be awesome.