Author Topic: **SPOILERS** Tulsa #U2eiTour Opening Night Official Thread  (Read 8730 times)

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
Re: **SPOILERS** Tulsa #U2eiTour Opening Night Official Thread
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2018, 12:08:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Feel free to start StL yourself! It'll be ready to go then.
no, u will probably be more active tonight so u fan start. Haha! I love their bodyguards during Pride!

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2018, 12:15:14 PM »

Love this Edge is just sounding insane in Pride

What a borefest of a crowd.

Offline AndyU2

• Numb
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »
SEAT REVIEW!

We drove from Southern Indiana. It was about a 8 hour drive and we met my parents. They live in central Oklahoma and it was about a two hour drive for them.

We originally wanted GA but my parents didn't want to go through the general admission process again so we got seats and landed some nice lower level 300's. Any lower was anywhere from $200-600 a pop.

Overall, Seats were great! Tulsa crowd was a bit of a bummer. In our row of twenty, only 7-8 of the seats were filled. The screen is magnificent! (no pun intended) Bono said in the middle of the show to turn off the lights but the screen continued to light up the entire arena.

Show starts and the lads walk in under the stage to Winter Beats - I Break Horses. A single I haven't heard since my college days.. around 2011- 2012. I already knew this was going to be a show to remember.

The screen splits, I hear "Nothing to stop this being the best day ever".. instant goose bumps! Everyone around us has their cell phones out checking out the AR. Kids are laughing over the speaking AR Bono.

After a few songs, they play Iris and The Ocean, in which, the screen shows Bono very emotional singing the lyrics.

I was bummed during some of the IE songs . The performance was the exact same from IE Tour, including the video board.

A majority of people in seats only stood during the opening song, BD, and Elevation. I heard a drunken guy yell "Play Streets".

I stayed away from any rehearsals and setlist discussions with no idea what they were going to play. I made a joke on the U2 Friends Facebook group of what I think the setlist might be in Tulsa. I posted a excel sheet I drafted up in five minutes with "Acrobat" repeating down a list of 25 or so items with the closure of "Acrobat (acoustic version)" thinking there was no absolute possibility of them playing the song.

Desire finishes and MacPhisto makes an appearance.. I feel like when I was a kid watching the DVDs.. but this is real! This is the real thing! then I hear it... Larry, tapping on his symbols.. I yell "NO F** ING WAY!" thinking, can this really be?! Acrobat! Played for the first time ever! I was numb. Absolutely mind blown as the edge rips into the guitar solo. You could tell that he has been itching to play it live.

An American Flag drops down behind the stage over American Soul. This is so much better live than on the album.

The show closes with Bono leaving the light bulb spinning and exits out of the back of the arena. Just like they started the IE tour with spinning the light bulb at the start of the show.

It was a bit strange with nothing from Joshua Tree. Some of the locals were disappointed with streets, still haven't found, and others not being played. While it's good to take a break, I can also see why fans are upset the songs being staples in live shows for the band.

There is some improvements.. they could probably go away from some of the stuff from the IE tour but this tour is still so special and different that it feels right.

I absolutely recommend seats! You can grab a beer in peace and not get death threats on the way back to the rail.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »
Awesome writeup! Thanks!

Any info on the t-shirts you can buy? I probably shouldn't get one ($$$) but my Zoo TV shirt is in literal tatters. I don't know if there's any place I can look at pictures, then I can decide whether it or my first born is more important.

Offline dfndub

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »
I sure hope they aren't reaching a conclusion here. I know they're against the idea of going like The Stones are, but hey, as long as you're still relevant and running. They're still the biggest band in the world. KEEP CHUGGING BOYS!

Offline bravoland

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #170 on: May 04, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
Hello All,  Here are my thoughts after going to the show.  i was on the floor and the Aug. Reality didn't do much for me i looked at a few peoples phones in front of me when it was starting but looking at a 6" phone screen is so tiny compared to the giant screen.  i made sure to go spoiler free since this was the first show of the tour and stayed off here etc.  first time in 25 years i went to a U2 show and didn't know the setlist!

the intro was ok. i always prefer a loud upbeat start to a show.
i know All because of you has taken some heat from some members on here but it was the first song that to me really went to that next level and it sounded good that night.

i missed the I&E Tour so i enjoyed the Iris - Raised by Wolves part even though i recognized it from the paris release etc.  i can understand those of you who wish it would be changed up.

the HMTMKMKM intermission wasn't that interesting.  same as the fly on i&e tour.  i don't understand why they can't just play another song on the main stage while the crew gets the bstage setup etc.

elevation and Vertigo.  i agree with most.  i mean i don't mind those songs live but one of those would have been enough.    Desire was good. and of Course Acrobat was incredible.  however the Macphisto part at the beginning needs some work.   would really like to see someone who could have created a snapchat like filter that actually looked like the 93 macphisto instead of the devil face they had there.  and it wasn't working great so hopefully will have kinks worked out tonight.

was great to hear Staring at the sun again.  i enjoyed the visuals for it.   

Pride.....   So the beat starts playing and then Adam kicks in with a great Bassline it sounded fantastic in the arena.   Listen i will be the first to say i've been burnt out on hearing the boys sing Pride over the last 2 decades but this sounded better than i've ever heard it that night.   just musically fantastic.

GOYOW and American Soul  sounded just like you would expect and i enjoyed it   City of Blinding lights for main set closer.  was ok i guess

Wilde Horses sounded excellent and was probably my highlight of the night even over acrobat
One - the band messed up the first 30 seconds or so.  recovered ok

13 as the closer.   from a theme perspective it fits but man i would have loved for them to go out on an upbeat moment.  that's why i loved walk on as the closer on the elevation tour.

All told it was a great night.  Edge missed a few notes here and there but nothing major.   

Still my favorite band!

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2018, 07:24:40 PM »
Watching the American Soul performance (after just listening on Mixlr) makes me realize their elimination of JT from the set list after JT30 was made a lot easier with this song being on SOE. There's only enough room in the show for one song where Bono breaks out the star-spangled megaphone he's fallen in love with and if you're a band that's confident in your new material, as I feel they still are, you can't drop the new song over the classic that got its own tour (plus you'd probably be dropping GOOYOW which the band particularly love).

Also, this rendition of One is a Hear Me Calling verse shy of being the new definitive version of the song in my book. The arrangement is the best it's sounded since PopMart, and as cool as the psychedelic Keith Haring video on that tour was this video adds a whole new dimension of emotion. Such a simple idea that pays off so devastatingly well.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #172 on: May 04, 2018, 09:53:45 PM »
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense?

Awesome, you got me excited for AS and One, I haven't heard them yet (had to drop out at some point).

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »
I've listened to this show in its entirety about 3 times now and each time I've noticed more things about it that have me not losing sleep over missing out on them this time around...  'Blackout' is very sloppy, and right from the outset...  Larry is clearly lagging on the tempo and it's very noticeable as soon as his drums kick in...  His drumming improves as the night goes along, but it's very uncharacteristic of him not to be his usual rock solid self...  'Lights of Home' drags as well, and I'm perplexed as to why they opted for the symphony version instead of just rocking it out, especially since it's near the beginning of the show...  I have to go back to some of the PopMart shows to find a sloppier performance by the band...  It's not the best setlist to begin with, and to have them not live up to the expectations of their live prowess spells out disappointment in my books...:-)   

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
They should keep 13, but play it after City Of Blinding Lights, to close out the main set, thus leaving the encore for classic cuts that don’t thematically fit with “the story”.

Seriously, think about it: that’s their rationale for running the setlist such as they are, but, as good as it mostly is for diehards, it certainly leaves casuals feeling cold, especially those in areas where they weren’t graced with the JT30 tour.