Author Topic: **SPOILERS** St. Louis #U2eiTour May 4, 2018 Official Thread  (Read 4842 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: **SPOILERS** St. Louis #U2eiTour May 4, 2018 Official Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 05:53:13 AM »
Most U2 fans don't lean right, so I don't think the political stuff will bother most people.  They have always been political and most people know what they're signing on for.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2018, 05:54:12 AM »
Sorry for the StL attendees who thought they might get any hint of a missed jt tour bonus lol. This band can't play Streets currently. They need rehearsal for everything. And for just 1 city? You can tell it's never worth it for them. I thought Bono might throw in a fluff line about "your city is unsafe but we love you somewhat".

Coming up they have lots of blue state cities. Maybe it was the plan to finish the red state dates first...

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2018, 06:15:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My suspicion is that, once word gets out, that it may even have an effect on selling the remaining tickets.

I think it will.  U2 used to be great at getting their political stuff out there without ticking anyone off, but there is definitely a large segment of the American population that will be very put-off by the stuff being shown on the big screens this tour.

Lol what? Bono's been pi**ing people off with the political stuff the entire time.

Offline Bobster

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2018, 06:33:12 AM »
Bit disappointed they are closing the show with 13. They seem to have a habit of closing shows with slow songs. :(

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2018, 06:40:03 AM »

My suspicion is that, once word gets out, that it may even have an effect on selling the remaining tickets.

I think it will.  U2 used to be great at getting their political stuff out there without ticking anyone off, but there is definitely a large segment of the American population that will be very put-off by the stuff being shown on the big screens this tour.

Lol what? Bono's been pi**ing people off with the political stuff the entire time.

That is true, but considering how things are in this country right now (I have never seen us this divided), I think it is a missed opportunity to really go the high road and preach about coming together.  Sure, Bono talks that at the concert, but the images on the screen (which will stick with people more) said another thing. 

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018, 06:51:22 AM »

“Am I bugging you? Sorry don’t mean to Bug ya”

Way back from the Rattle and Hum days

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2018, 07:00:59 AM »
How about ripping up the bleedin Irish flag onstage and chucking the green and orange - back in the War days?

Offline jws008

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2018, 07:39:25 AM »
Best Thing sounds rough tonight, at least at the start.

And, what the hey is up w that Joe Ahorro guy’s mixlr, w that constant electronic echoey sound?

It's annoying, but it's still damn cool that we get these streams at all.

And City Of Blinding Lights...I will never tire of that song.

I still think that it sucks for St. Louis that they won’t play any JT songs, given their canceled show last year. Seriously, 13 here’s synths would segue into Streets really well, thus ending the show on a high energy note, while also giving St. Louis a JT tune.

Just got back from the show and I agree.  It is disappointing that we got zero acknowledgement from the band about the show we lost, not to mention two less songs than Tulsa got on Wednesday.  I still enjoyed the show for the most part (the political stuff on the big screens got really old really fast), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

Offline jws008

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2018, 07:43:55 AM »
Best Thing sounds rough tonight, at least at the start.

And, what the hey is up w that Joe Ahorro guy’s mixlr, w that constant electronic echoey sound?

It's annoying, but it's still damn cool that we get these streams at all.

And City Of Blinding Lights...I will never tire of that song.

I still think that it sucks for St. Louis that they won’t play any JT songs, given their canceled show last year. Seriously, 13 here’s synths would segue into Streets really well, thus ending the show on a high energy note, while also giving St. Louis a JT tune.

Just got back from the show and I agree.  It is disappointing that we got zero acknowledgement from the band about the show we lost, not to mention two less songs than Tulsa got on Wednesday.  I still enjoyed the show for the most part (the political stuff on the big screens got really old really fast), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

Were you listening to Bono between the songs at all? The postponed concert was referenced at least three or four times when St. Louis was mentioned, it was most of the intro spoken before New Year’s Day. I mean Bono’s last mention of St. Louis at the end of the concert  was a “Thank you for your patience” which I took as a direct reference to the cancelled JT show.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
Were you listening to Bono between the songs at all? The postponed concert was referenced at least three or four times when St. Louis was mentioned, it was most of the intro spoken before New Year’s Day. I mean Bono’s last mention of St. Louis at the end of the concert  was a “Thank you for your patience” which I took as a direct reference to the cancelled JT show.

I must have missed that.  It is not always easy to hear everything he says in between songs.

I guess I was expecting too much, thinking the band would put some thought into our city losing our show last year and giving us a little something extra this time, instead of giving us less than Tulsa got on Tuesday.  Sure, we got 23 songs played by the band (pre-recorded songs don't count in the set list), but at about 2 hours and 10 minutes, it seemed a bit short.  Show usually go to 11 or just before, and with an 8 pm start, I was expecting a nice long show.  Instead they kept us waiting and started 40 minutes late and gave us a shorter show. Maybe I am just being grumpy, but I am usually euphoric after a concert and gushing over it, and this one just left me a bit cold.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »
It'll be interesting to see if 'New Year's Day' gets dropped after this show...  Considering Bono's apologetic remarks before they played it, perhaps this was their offering to St. Louis for last year's cancellation...  Although 'New Year's Day' isn't from the album, obviously, it was indeed played on every night of the tour...:-)

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »
What a difference a few albums make..    I haven’t seen them since the Vertigo tour and almost felt bad for them last night.    While the crowd seemed to have stood the entire time, the sing alongs to every song and literal up and down movement on the floor was clearly missed.

The highlight, IMO, was UTEOTW.   The new stuff came off great with the exception of YTBTAM.    That needs to be reworked.   I am a big fan of ABOY but except for the last verse of the song, it just didn’t work.   I would expect that one to get dropped soon.   I also like 13, but that shouldn’t have been the closer.   The theatrics that they do is out of place for U2 and I personally didn’t like it.    Hats off to them for not playing any TJT but they could have closed with one of them last night to GREAT effect.   A one-off of Streets or WOWY would have added significantly, and appropriately, to an otherwise good St Louis show.

Saint22

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2018, 01:14:17 PM »
Anyone who was expecting a Valentine Because last year’s show was cancellled went in with unfounded expectations. I’m sorry, that’s just the way it is.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2018, 01:32:43 PM »
But my feelings.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2018, 04:51:43 PM »
It's a tough crowd around here.