Author Topic: **SPOILERS** St. Louis #U2eiTour May 4, 2018 Official Thread  (Read 4770 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: **SPOILERS** St. Louis #U2eiTour May 4, 2018 Official Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2018, 08:10:40 PM »
I've seen Streets performed so many times that I could live without it.
    Also, I really didn't like RBW.  So sometimes it just comes down to personal preference.  But hopefully we all get a little bit of our favorites in the mix.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2018, 08:15:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been thinking about the show over the last 48 hours or so, and keep coming back to one word: "okay".  And, let's be honest - we go to see U2 live for those euphoric moments.  I had that feeling of euphoria after my first U2 show (Indy 2001), during the Chicago run of the 2015 tour, and a couple TJT shows last summer. 

This, to me, was reminiscent of the Vertigo show I saw in 2005.  There were moments of brilliance, but it wasn't sustained.  Whenever they built momentum, odd song selection or a flubbed performance stopped things in their tracks (albeit temporarily). Overall, the highlights to me were the first set (though I felt the omission of RBW was curious, as it is perhaps THE highlight of the SOI songs), and the beginning of the second set (high-energy, fun, and a little demonic with MacPhisto's return).  But, the run from Get Out of Your Own Way to the end of the show was . . . hmm, how to say . . . "meh"?

One thing that I tried to wrap my head around before the show: no Streets.  Let's be honest - it's one of the best live songs of all-time, and I mean by ANY band.  TJT tour aside, certain acts keep certain songs in their set no matter what.  Imagine seeing Springsteen without the release you get from "Born to Run".  I loved seeing "Acrobat" as much as the next hardcore fan, but I couldn't help but think Streets after Pride would have been the emotional peak, after which GOOYOW-American Soul-COBL would have been A-OK. 

I may be talking a bit in circles, but I did leave the show somewhat disappointed.  The shows I saw in 2015 each left me emotionally spent; this one had me checking my watch during the encore.  I have to think the band notices the reactions, through two shows, aren't like they were during the 2015 tour.  I hope they wouldn't consider adding "Streets" as an admission of defeat, or that the tour concept isn't good (it IS a good concept, but needs some restructuring).  But some of their best live songs are sitting out there, and yet we get another tepid version of "One". 

I'm hitting up Chicago, and as of now, both nights.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but if setlists don't get changed up a bit, I may sell my N2 ticket.  Then again, the other part of me wonders how many more opportunities I have to see my favorite band.  They clearly put a lot of thought into this tour, and the new songs mean a lot to them.  I respect them for what they're trying to do, but compared to most every other U2 concert, I didn't enjoy it at nearly the same level.

I woke up the next morning sort of disappointed but it has since passed.    Regardless, I agree with your sentiment.   I, for one, could have done without One but Streets is kind of indispensable.    That is there BIG NUMBER and should be included.    Hopefully they do so before Chicago.    It will be interesting to see the upcoming San Jose set lists.

FWIW, I thought American Soul was seriously awesome.    I donít know if it was because my expectations were low or what but they killed it. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:23:59 PM by dirtdrybonesandstone »

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2018, 11:51:13 PM »
If they were thinking about tinkering around with the setlist & including Streets anywhere, you'd think St Louis would be the place they'd do it. As an acknowledgement that TJT was missed there. Pity they didn't try it out there, & see how much of an effect it had on the last 1/3 of the set.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2018, 06:27:49 AM »
Dirtdry I agree American Soul was great live. Honestly wasnít a fan of it on the album but I loved it live.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2018, 06:39:01 AM »
Further U2 brought great luck as the Cards swept the Cubs!!!

• Numb
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2018, 07:14:49 AM »
Further U2 brought great luck as the Cards swept the Cubs!!!

Yea, that was great.  Based on what has happened on previous U2 visits (lost Game 7 of the World Series when they were here for TJT), I would have bet we would have lost the Friday night game.   

• Numb
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2018, 07:29:52 AM »
Dirtdry I agree American Soul was great live. Honestly wasnít a fan of it on the album but I loved it live.

Was one of my least favorites on the album; not so much any more.   Iíll definitely be watching for that one if I make it to another show.   Am thinking about road tripping down to Nashville but havenít been able to snag a GA ticket.

Offline bjkrober

• Babyface
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2018, 09:34:54 AM »
This was my 10th U2 show - going all the way back to '87, and I thought it was really, really good!  Especially because the new album is stronger and they only played 2 songs from SOI.  I agree that 27 songs should be the norm with these ticket prices and no opening act.  (Not sure why STL got cut down to 25).  I bet they'll add Streets before too long.  Fewer phone videos being shot, which was nice.  Joe's sound mix was as good as usual.  13 is not a great closer.  It was great to hear Acrobat, Staring at the Sun and All because of you.  Now, if they'd just drop Sunday Bloody Sunday and add God ptII....  As a whole, I thought it was WAY better than I+E in 2015 (chicago 3).  If it comes to your town, or near your town, I'd say go!  Cheers!

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
God Part 2 totally deserves to be in the set.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2018, 10:58:02 AM »
I'm thrilled to hear s couple of reports of AS being strong live. I had been hoping we might find that. As I've said before, Bullet is (imho) weak on the album but an absolute monster live. Not saying AS is a monster, but maybe it has potential over time.

I find it extremely hard to believe Adam forgot how to play Streets. Honestly, his resume reads something like this:

Bass playing for Where the Streets Have No Name (31 years of near constant experience) and other songs.

Also Bono has been forgetting the lyrics the entire time. There's a vid where he messes up Out of Control by singing a line from the second verse first, then when he comes up to the line again he goes "again?" and then just abandons it. He was 20. (Note: granted, he was drunk. But we all know other examples of losing track of or just playing with the lyrics. It's a feature, not a bug.

Man, you guys are making 58 sound scary. I don't think 58 is our peak physically but it normally is mentally - so much experience, and unless there is disease present we shouldn't be losing our acuity or faculties. Generals, CEOs, top surgeons, pilots, bankers, etc, are 58.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2018, 06:47:38 PM »
I've been thinking about the show over the last 48 hours or so, and keep coming back to one word: "okay".  And, let's be honest - we go to see U2 live for those euphoric moments.  I had that feeling of euphoria after my first U2 show (Indy 2001), during the Chicago run of the 2015 tour, and a couple TJT shows last summer. 

This, to me, was reminiscent of the Vertigo show I saw in 2005.  There were moments of brilliance, but it wasn't sustained.  Whenever they built momentum, odd song selection or a flubbed performance stopped things in their tracks (albeit temporarily). Overall, the highlights to me were the first set (though I felt the omission of RBW was curious, as it is perhaps THE highlight of the SOI songs), and the beginning of the second set (high-energy, fun, and a little demonic with MacPhisto's return).  But, the run from Get Out of Your Own Way to the end of the show was . . . hmm, how to say . . . "meh"?

One thing that I tried to wrap my head around before the show: no Streets.  Let's be honest - it's one of the best live songs of all-time, and I mean by ANY band.  TJT tour aside, certain acts keep certain songs in their set no matter what.  Imagine seeing Springsteen without the release you get from "Born to Run".  I loved seeing "Acrobat" as much as the next hardcore fan, but I couldn't help but think Streets after Pride would have been the emotional peak, after which GOOYOW-American Soul-COBL would have been A-OK. 

I may be talking a bit in circles, but I did leave the show somewhat disappointed.  The shows I saw in 2015 each left me emotionally spent; this one had me checking my watch during the encore.  I have to think the band notices the reactions, through two shows, aren't like they were during the 2015 tour.  I hope they wouldn't consider adding "Streets" as an admission of defeat, or that the tour concept isn't good (it IS a good concept, but needs some restructuring).  But some of their best live songs are sitting out there, and yet we get another tepid version of "One". 

I'm hitting up Chicago, and as of now, both nights.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but if setlists don't get changed up a bit, I may sell my N2 ticket.  Then again, the other part of me wonders how many more opportunities I have to see my favorite band.  They clearly put a lot of thought into this tour, and the new songs mean a lot to them.  I respect them for what they're trying to do, but compared to most every other U2 concert, I didn't enjoy it at nearly the same level.

Great post.

I know Streets has been played 2 million times, but it is THE live song by U2 and it felt weird not getting it.  Just like Rush always played Tom Sawyer, U2 should always play Where the Streets Have No Name.

I totally agree about Get Out of Your Own Way to the end.  They totally lost me at that point and the ending for the show kinda limped to the finish, after the first 3/4 being mostly really good (despite the many alleged flubs).

Quite a few people at work today asked me how the show was and my reaction each time after a "thinking about it" pause was, "...it was good."  Almost everyone sensed that even that felt like an overstatement, as they have seen my euphoria after other concerts in the last couple years. They know how I talk up a concert the day (or the next work day) after a really great show.  There was none of that today.  And just typing that bums me up, because this is U2 and I had such expectations. :(

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2018, 07:33:57 PM »
I'm thrilled to hear s couple of reports of AS being strong live. I had been hoping we might find that. As I've said before, Bullet is (imho) weak on the album but an absolute monster live. Not saying AS is a monster, but maybe it has potential over time.

I find it extremely hard to believe Adam forgot how to play Streets. Honestly, his resume reads something like this:

Bass playing for Where the Streets Have No Name (31 years of near constant experience) and other songs.

Also Bono has been forgetting the lyrics the entire time. There's a vid where he messes up Out of Control by singing a line from the second verse first, then when he comes up to the line again he goes "again?" and then just abandons it. He was 20. (Note: granted, he was drunk. But we all know other examples of losing track of or just playing with the lyrics. It's a feature, not a bug.

Man, you guys are making 58 sound scary. I don't think 58 is our peak physically but it normally is mentally - so much experience, and unless there is disease present we shouldn't be losing our acuity or faculties. Generals, CEOs, top surgeons, pilots, bankers, etc, are 58.

Si much eXpererience.