Author Topic: **SPOILERS** St. Louis #U2eiTour May 4, 2018 Official Thread  (Read 4753 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: **SPOILERS** St. Louis #U2eiTour May 4, 2018 Official Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's a tough crowd around here.
Hahaha, go to damn near any bandís fan message boards, and youíre almost guaranteed to find almost verbatim complaints.

For me, I only criticize what I love.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
I was a bit tongue-in-cheek there.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2018, 07:22:44 AM »
My wife and I went and loved itó great seats I didnít think the political stuff was over the top at all. I really think it was a good message I

My favorite was SBS, IWF, and BD

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2018, 09:01:04 AM »
Looking at the set list, glad I saved my money for Queens of the Stone Age.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
Hahaha, go to damn near any bandís fan message boards, and youíre almost guaranteed to find almost verbatim complaints.

For me, I only criticize what I love.

Same here.

Bands I am not a fan of, I don't bother talking about much at all.

U2 is a borderline top 10 all-time band for me, so it goes without saying that I love their music, and I think most would agree that the high standards they are held to are ones they set in place. 

I still think the new album is really, really good, but unlike the old days when they would often make songs better live, I think it was the opposite this time.  Had I never heard anything from the new album, going to the show Friday would not have made me want to run out and get it.  A big part of that is how far Bono's voice has fallen in the live environment, but I am not sure the laid back nature of Songs of Experience translates well live.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2018, 11:12:15 AM »
Any one know if Kelly Eddngton (Achtoon Baby) was at the show?  I think she is a Missourian?   Would be good to hear her take on it.  Also, the St Louis Facebook tour page included a photo of someone with Edgeís daughter.   Was she in the Red Zone?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:14:48 AM by dirtdrybonesandstone »

Offline GPitt

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »

It really is. I thought the show was peak U2, and peak rock and roll. I had a great time and thought this was a well designed, well paced masterpiece of a show. It will definitely get better the more they practice, and I'll look for a chance to go again, particularly if they come through Texas on a second leg.

For me, the politics were very muted for a U2 show, which is what I was hoping for. There was no big "thank you for giving us these lives" speech. Bono and the boys had a rock attitude (and punk sloppiness), the intermission and Macphisto stuff were excellent theater and I loved the AR overlay on the screen.

The pace was nonstop and the intensity and mood were shifted masterfully by the design and set list.

I thought the new album songs sounded so much better in these arrangements and gave me a new appreciation. This was the best version of YTBTAM I've heard, ditto SBS which is one of my least favorite songs and always a mood killer for me (but I know to expect it :)). I also don't care for Pride, but the video presentation was powerful for me this time around. Yes, I hate Illinois Nazis. :)

I'm a longtime fan who only started going to shows on 360 and while that one will always be special, E+I might be my favorite U2 show. It wasn't just a band playing hits, it was a band (and hundreds of support staff, artists, family, etc.) trying their hardest to create a killer rock show and multimedia spectacle. The amount of work and creative energy that went into this is staggering, and I'm damn happy and grateful to have it in the world. :)

To those of you who didn't enjoy it as much as I did, I offer a hug and a handshake and a sincere wish that someday you find what you're looking for. :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:40:11 AM by GPitt »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2018, 11:43:09 AM »
My wife and I went and loved itó great seats I didnít think the political stuff was over the top at all. I really think it was a good message I

That so 2017!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2018, 12:16:18 PM »
Glad you got to go this time, Maximus.  Also, great to hear a positive review!

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2018, 03:41:31 PM »

That so 2017!

😀

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2018, 03:42:36 PM »
Glad you got to go this time, Maximus.  Also, great to hear a positive review!

It was worth the wait!!! Just incredible

Acrobat was amazing

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2018, 03:46:02 PM »
Desire was awesome live and MacPhisto returning was interesting

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2018, 04:35:25 PM »
Just read on atu2.com. So jelly actress Ashley Judd (never heard of her) got to attend soundcheck in StL.

Also, the band themselves soundchecked in StL. By 10 shows in, it'll just be the techs soundchecking and band will fly in at like 4pm local time (as they did on jt2017).

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2018, 05:03:03 PM »
I think Ashley Judd, who I have indeed heard of, is a big fan.

I think she and Ali look a bit alike. Hmm.

Offline yankeesguy86

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2018, 07:34:04 PM »
I've been thinking about the show over the last 48 hours or so, and keep coming back to one word: "okay".  And, let's be honest - we go to see U2 live for those euphoric moments.  I had that feeling of euphoria after my first U2 show (Indy 2001), during the Chicago run of the 2015 tour, and a couple TJT shows last summer. 

This, to me, was reminiscent of the Vertigo show I saw in 2005.  There were moments of brilliance, but it wasn't sustained.  Whenever they built momentum, odd song selection or a flubbed performance stopped things in their tracks (albeit temporarily). Overall, the highlights to me were the first set (though I felt the omission of RBW was curious, as it is perhaps THE highlight of the SOI songs), and the beginning of the second set (high-energy, fun, and a little demonic with MacPhisto's return).  But, the run from Get Out of Your Own Way to the end of the show was . . . hmm, how to say . . . "meh"?

One thing that I tried to wrap my head around before the show: no Streets.  Let's be honest - it's one of the best live songs of all-time, and I mean by ANY band.  TJT tour aside, certain acts keep certain songs in their set no matter what.  Imagine seeing Springsteen without the release you get from "Born to Run".  I loved seeing "Acrobat" as much as the next hardcore fan, but I couldn't help but think Streets after Pride would have been the emotional peak, after which GOOYOW-American Soul-COBL would have been A-OK. 

I may be talking a bit in circles, but I did leave the show somewhat disappointed.  The shows I saw in 2015 each left me emotionally spent; this one had me checking my watch during the encore.  I have to think the band notices the reactions, through two shows, aren't like they were during the 2015 tour.  I hope they wouldn't consider adding "Streets" as an admission of defeat, or that the tour concept isn't good (it IS a good concept, but needs some restructuring).  But some of their best live songs are sitting out there, and yet we get another tepid version of "One". 

I'm hitting up Chicago, and as of now, both nights.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but if setlists don't get changed up a bit, I may sell my N2 ticket.  Then again, the other part of me wonders how many more opportunities I have to see my favorite band.  They clearly put a lot of thought into this tour, and the new songs mean a lot to them.  I respect them for what they're trying to do, but compared to most every other U2 concert, I didn't enjoy it at nearly the same level.