Author Topic: Why is U2 your favorite band?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline JonD

• Stateless
Re: Why is U2 your favorite band?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 05:28:23 PM »
Haven’t posted in a while but a great question and insightful answers. I too love Floyd with Bowie and Radiohead to place things in context. Why is U2 my favourite band is difficult to condense after 30+years but here are my thoughts for what it’s worth:

1. They have a sound. From Boy to SOE there is a thread of energy that continues throughout their work. That is apparent to me from IWF to RFD. Also I truly believe that U2 have influenced a great many bands with the guitar SOUND- Edge does not get enough credit.

2. They remain for me one of the most versatile bands in history. They were never satisfied with their success. The transformation from JT/RH to AB was absolutely staggering for me. This transformation while maintaining their core sound as it proceeded to Zooropa Passengers and Pop made me the devoted fan I remain today.

3.  Their 2000’s work still contain great songs.  BD Stuck in a moment Walk On Kite Vertigo NLOTH Magnificent FEZ COL SLABT Lights of Home etc.. still spark adulation, criticism and debate. Not many bands can say that after almost 40 years.

4. I love the building songs and the darker songs: Streets Exit BTBS Fly Acrobat ISHFWILF etc. They provide balance to the light for me. For some reason PF REM and Radiohead are similar in this aspect to me.

5. Most importantly they’re fun to follow. Sounds change and people change. I personally find it difficult after all these years to “break up” because of some sounds/songs I don’t enjoy. I dislike it when fans argue that “true fans regard such and such era as the best”. To me that is is like saying your love of your partner is only based on their style/look from their 20s/30s. What about new fans?  After almost 40 years I can honestly say I love many of their recent songs even though the albums don’t always impact me like their 80s/90s work- the era of my adolescence and early adulthood which was an amazing time of life. Soundtrack to my life indeed.

Jon

Wow- I think that is my longest post ever. Lol.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:34:46 PM by JonD »

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 06:02:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 are no longer my favorite band but they were for sure 15 years ago. I can basically boil it down to 3 factors:

1. Pure emotion
Bono at his best is an incredible singer who sings from his heart in a way i've heard few other singers do. The pain in songs like So Cruel and One. The falsetto in Lemon or the shouts on the early records. He was just a frontman that was absolutely fearless in showing emotions which connected with me.

2. Sonic landscapes
The sound landscapes that U2 created in the records from 1980-2000 were just incredible and I credit this more than anyone else to The Edge although the whole band and their procucers should get a lot of credit as well. It blew my mind how the same band could make War, The Joushua Tree and Zooropa. Just sonically worlds apart but all incredible albums. It still blows my mind.

3. Great songs
This is ofcourse the main factor. Without great songs all other factors dont matter. I still think the run that U2 had from Boy to ATYCLB is unmatched in terms of quality by any bands of their generation and after from a songwriting perspective.
Out of curiosity, who is your favorite band now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 10:06:49 PM »
Way too long to list. Here are my top 10 reasons:
1. Best marriage of music and lyrics I've ever found
2. They are really, really damn good at making songs that TALK to me, both lyrically and musically. This is the most vague but personal quality on this list
3. The best live act in history, any act, any genre. Better than The Stones, Queen, Zepplin...yep
4. Musically, they've been willing to both push themselves and be honest with themselves about who they want to be and who they are
5. It's the same four guys since they were 15. This is our wedding day, this is the promise that we made...
6. Not is it only the same four guys, they still seem to genuinely like/love each other, even when they have their differences
7. They overall have had really high-quality and high-minded design and production aesthetics
8. Has there ever been a band that has so consistently balanced fan appreciation, critical review, and public enjoyment?
9. Has there ever been a band that has so consistently balanced their show between new tracks, greatest hits, and deeper tracks?
10. I don't feel like a single dollar I've ever spent on them has been wasted, even when what I've purchased has been very expensive

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 07:03:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Haven’t posted in a while but a great question and insightful answers. I too love Floyd with Bowie and Radiohead to place things in context. Why is U2 my favourite band is difficult to condense after 30+years but here are my thoughts for what it’s worth:

1. They have a sound. From Boy to SOE there is a thread of energy that continues throughout their work. That is apparent to me from IWF to RFD. Also I truly believe that U2 have influenced a great many bands with the guitar SOUND- Edge does not get enough credit.

2. They remain for me one of the most versatile bands in history. They were never satisfied with their success. The transformation from JT/RH to AB was absolutely staggering for me. This transformation while maintaining their core sound as it proceeded to Zooropa Passengers and Pop made me the devoted fan I remain today.

3.  Their 2000’s work still contain great songs.  BD Stuck in a moment Walk On Kite Vertigo NLOTH Magnificent FEZ COL SLABT Lights of Home etc.. still spark adulation, criticism and debate. Not many bands can say that after almost 40 years.

4. I love the building songs and the darker songs: Streets Exit BTBS Fly Acrobat ISHFWILF etc. They provide balance to the light for me. For some reason PF REM and Radiohead are similar in this aspect to me.

5. Most importantly they’re fun to follow. Sounds change and people change. I personally find it difficult after all these years to “break up” because of some sounds/songs I don’t enjoy. I dislike it when fans argue that “true fans regard such and such era as the best”. To me that is is like saying your love of your partner is only based on their style/look from their 20s/30s. What about new fans?  After almost 40 years I can honestly say I love many of their recent songs even though the albums don’t always impact me like their 80s/90s work- the era of my adolescence and early adulthood which was an amazing time of life. Soundtrack to my life indeed.

Jon

Wow- I think that is my longest post ever. Lol.

We must be of around the same age....you captured my thoughts as well.

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 05:38:22 AM »
This is a great question
Tgey are my favorite when I first heard and saw the video for i still haven't found what i'm looking for that changed my life for starters they sounded so different from every one else in the 80s Bonos voice the lyrics made the hair on my neck stand up i got the Joshua tree album as soon as I could with lawn mower money lol from then on i listened to them non stop found out about the earlier stuff and been a big fan since
I was love that the lyrics always speak to me i love how they always push the envelope with their music, and when i finally saw them on the popmart tour i was totally blown away
I try to collect as much stuff as i can Knoxville Tn doesn't get a lot of U2 stuff sadly but i get what i can i don't do that with any other band