Author Topic: *SPOILERS* - A former hardcore fan goes to Omaha  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Onob_Nosweh

• Babyface
*SPOILERS* - A former hardcore fan goes to Omaha
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:20:02 AM »
First off, thanks to those in my earlier post who offered encouragement to go to the show. I wasn't just pleasantly surprised at how good it was like the JT tour, I was blown away.

I knew the visual design and staging would be impressive, and the non-Bono members always sound great, but I was shocked at how good Bono's voice was. His energy and enthusiasm also seemed much higher than the JT show I saw last year. Their performances of Gloria and I Will Follow were up to the Under A Blood Red Sky level. Turning off the screens and just having four guys on a stage with some lights was a nice touch.

The new songs were pretty good live with The Blackout being a highlight. A nice mix of songs, and of course I was really happy to finally see Acrobat live. I took d.darroch's advice and got a GA ticket. It was great to wander around and see different perspectives. Also knowing the general flow of the show, I was able to get a good spot for the E stage portion. Grabbed some of the "confetti" that falls during UTEOTW. Basically they look like torn pages from books. A nice souvenir to go along with my Bono Buck from Zoo TV. :)

Omaha is a fun town, and the crowd was great. Plenty of space to move around and get close to the band. I coincidentally was near the walkways for both The Edge and Bono's walks through the crowd. The band did a terrific job of making an arena feel intimate.

I thought I was done with U2 after seeing the JT tour, but this show completely changed my perspective. I'm still not a huge fan of their new music, but I definitely will see them on future tours. Thanks again for those that responded to my earlier post.

Here are some really good videos someone took at the show. I believe he said he would post the entire show soon.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:23:32 PM by Onob_Nosweh »

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Re: *SPOILERS* - A former hardcore fan goes to Omaha
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 09:46:25 AM »
Hot damn! Can't wait!

Offline Onob_Nosweh

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »
Which show(s) are you going to?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
Boston 2, June 22. No GA, just the nosebleeds.

UABRS level Gloria and IWF is a hell of a rave review.

You said Bono sounded good. Did he have much power in his voice? I've felt like he's been very restrained in what I've heard but those were only the early nights of the tour.

Personally I love the new album so I am hoping for a great experience. Have been kind of sniffing around to see about cheap tickets for Boston 1. I might be willing to pay $41 or so for crappy seats to get a second night. Also really want to hear RFD. Am a hard core fan since 1988 but have not seen them since 1992 so I'm a liiiiiiiittle excited.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 02:54:32 PM by laoghaire »

Offline AllThoseThingsILove

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "as a ninja hits the ground..." ;)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 11:09:11 AM »

You said Bono sounded good. Did he have much power in his voice? I've felt like he's been very restrained in what I've heard but those were only the early nights of the tour.

Night 2 at The LA Forum 5/16, his voice was very powerful. Only flubbed the lyrics to IWF a bit.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 11:21:52 AM »
Would it even be Bono if he didn't flub any lyrics?

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »
Great review!  How were you able to get a GA ticket after the on-sale?  Did you pay face value?  Hope that is not too nosy of a question...

Offline Onob_Nosweh

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 11:58:50 AM »

I thought so. My hunch is for the older songs, they picked ones that are better suited to his vocal range these days. When they did the JT tour, there were some more challenging songs they couldn't skip. Of the old stuff this tour, I think Pride would be the most challenging, but I don't recall how he sounded on that one. I think that might be one reason they do a mellower version of SBS these days.

Have a great time in Boston! I think with how they have the stage setup your nosebleeds will be just fine. They are essentially splitting the arenas in half, which makes it feel much more intimate.

Offline Onob_Nosweh

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 12:03:03 PM »
Great review!  How were you able to get a GA ticket after the on-sale?  Did you pay face value?  Hope that is not too nosy of a question...

It was Omaha. They had a lot of trouble selling tickets. Ticketmaster kept lowering prices for seats in the days before the show (but not GA). I actually almost got a GA for half of face value. Just before showtime, prices kept dropping on Stubhub and Seatgeek, but I got greedy and waited too long. I ended up buying a face value ticket from Ticketmaster about 30 min before they started. At least I got a free album download!

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 12:31:26 PM »

Night 2 at The LA Forum 5/16, his voice was very powerful. Only flubbed the lyrics to IWF a bit.

Listened to your link, he sounded great.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 12:53:48 PM »
Wow, just listened to Gloria from last night, you're not kidding!

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 01:45:54 PM »

It was Omaha. They had a lot of trouble selling tickets. Ticketmaster kept lowering prices for seats in the days before the show (but not GA). I actually almost got a GA for half of face value. Just before showtime, prices kept dropping on Stubhub and Seatgeek, but I got greedy and waited too long. I ended up buying a face value ticket from Ticketmaster about 30 min before they started. At least I got a free album download!

WOW!!! <cries into my native but expensive CA soil>

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 03:15:45 PM »
awesome review!  Happy you went, got GA, and it made you want to see them more.

I agree on Bono's voice. I've been to a few shows on previous tours where he struggled on some songs. For the most part it had not negatively impacted the show much, as they are adept at adjustments, using the crowd and backing vocals as well. But it did impact upon listening to recordings afterwards. Bono's voice is doing mostly great on this tour.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:43:17 PM by scrittoresabino »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »
The highlights of Omaha were the wooden spoon during UTEOTW, the Stormy Daniels reference and Gloria.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »
What happened with a wooden spoon?

I just watched 13 (Omaha) - wow, he sounds amazing.