Author Topic: Center floor stage set up for next tour!  (Read 1366 times)

Offline wons

• Numb
Re: Center floor stage set up for next tour!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 11:37:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The thing is, just last year U2 were filling stadiums all over the US.  So it's not like they have suddenly lost their appeal to Americans.  They could do a stadium tour in the US again, but they'd have to wait a few years to recharge the demand, and make it something that would appeal to the masses.  JT 2017 proves that nostalgia sells.  As I see it, they have 3 options for their NEXT Tour.

- Wait a few years, release a new album in 2021 or so, and tour behind that album.  Mix of arenas and stadiums.
- The E&I Tour ends on November 10th, 2018.  No tour in 2019.  Do a 40th anniversary tour in 2020-2021, beginning on October 20th, the 40th anniversary of Boy's release.  All Stadiums, worldwide.  Don't bill it as a "Greatest Hits" Tour, but let people assume that.  Stick to the hits and the key live tracks, with a little room for setlist rotation.  Show doesn't need to follow any particular narrative, just U2 playing U2 songs.  Despite being the 40th anniversary tour, the band won't play "40", because U2. 
- Achtung Baby 30th anniversary tour.  Sort of a Zoo TV adapted for the 2020s, with the focus behind on the internet instead of television.  It could be interesting, but I don't really see them going this route.  This would be my least preferred idea. 

I know you're all going to say U2 began in September 1976, so the 40th anniversary already happened.  It doesn't matter.  You can just say "40th anniversary tour of U2's first album", and 99% of the people wouldn't think anything else about it.

Unless they do some miscellaneous jaunt in 2019 or 2020, the next tour is almost certainly going to be a new album tour. On their typical timetable their next album is going to be out in 2021 or 2022, so the anniversary tours would have to be before the album drops and E+I is telling them an album tour after an anniversary tour doesn't sell so well. (FWIW, as someone born after ZooTV I love the idea of revamping that for the Internet age, but realize that at Bono's age MacPhisto works far better as a cameo appearance than a full character and The Fly might not translate at all.)

Very good points. The JT Tour 2017 was sort of fluke. They were only going to do a couple of shows and it turned into 50 shows. If they wanted to do ZOO TV 2022, I think they would need to get the next album/tour cycle finished first, and then do the nostalgia tour. The timing worked for the JT tour 2017 in terms of when the album was going to be ready and when the tour for the album would start. I'm guessing they won't be that lucky with the timing for this next album/tour cycle.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Center floor stage set up for next tour!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 05:53:21 PM »
I meant arenas and I'm not talking about the band being static, but playing like they normally do in all shows. But with the way the band plays now, rear stage does not get to see them as often as other parts of the crowd. The slow rotation is just a way of sort of equalizing things for the crowd no matter where you are.

I realize the issues of 360, but I thought the 360 tour worked out great. I was in the inner circle for all 3 shows I saw. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work having the stage in the middle for a stadium show. The only reason they won't do it, is that demand to see the band live has fallen since the 360 tour , especially in America and they would not be able to fill the stadium in that configuration, at least in most cities in the United States now.

Yeah, I hear ya. By 'FAIRLY static', I'm also referring to their usual end-of-stage setup. Where there is some movement by the band members, but nowhere near as much as Muse in the above clip. They are really working that crowd!

But this is only an issue in a stadium setting, where sightlines could be a huge problem for those right at the front. For an arena setting it's a non-issue, so all good.

As has been mentioned by you & laoghaire, the fairly low percentage of rear view seating in end-of-stage setups suddenly becomes 50% of the crowd when you change to an in-the-round setup. So there definitely has to be some type of movement to limit the problem of half the crowd feeling isolated from the performance. I really like the sound of a rotating stage, it solves the problem quite well, & limits the amount of leg work the band have to do to reach all corners of the arena. Maybe rotating somewhere between Muse's speed, which does seem quite fast, & the 20 minutes you talk about.

Interestingly, this setup with a large central stage, also produces a high proportion of rail real estate with very good unobstructed views of the band (though maybe not the visuals). This is not the case for i+e+i, where large proportions of the rail space have quite poor views at times, particularly the central catwalk. Add some curving catwalks (unlike Muse's mostly straight ones), & you increase the amount of great view rail space even more.

Probably only outdone by the Elevation/Vertigo (arena) setups, with a tonne of rail space with great views of both the band & the visuals.

Talking about visuals, Muse had some pretty cool visuals using projectors & fabric screens. But I'll leave that for EdgeUK8_my_mind's 'e/i in stadiums ' thread.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:05:28 AM by d.darroch »