Author Topic: A message for people with tickets in the top/mid level sections of the arena....  (Read 4553 times)

Offline wons

• Numb
STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not a church or a bingo hall! Its a rock concert! A Rock concert by U2!

At the 2nd Washington D.C. show last night at the Capital One arena, the Upper Level and Mid-Level sections were sitting down for most of the show. WHAT THE HELL!? This show was being filmed for a DVD/Blue Ray release! This is the first time in U2's career that I have ever seen people sitting down at a U2 show in large numbers. There were even some people in the lower level sections that were sitting occasionally, but in general the lower level sections were up on their feet.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Wons, I have your back. This Friday in the uppers.

But I started a thread weeks ago and even here there was a lot of pushback. <cries>

Keep the faith, brother.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
We experienced this in San Jose in the good side seats. It is a sad day for me - I am from the age (1980s) when NOBODY sat for one song and everybody clapped to the beat for the whole show.

The debate to me is if the cause is older fans, and frankly - wealthy fans in the good seats who aren't maybe serious U2 fans, OR perhaps it is the song selection. People stood near us for songs they were more familiar with (desire, pride, elevation, etc.) NOT so much the new songs.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
There's going to be some annoyed people near me (in tier 1) in the Autumn in the UK.
Oh well.
THIS IS A ROCK & ROLL SHOW.....not a prog rock show. 
If people think that, they are in the wrong place (but the right place because it's a U2 show - doesn't get better than this...)

BTW - who was that guy who hollered at Bono on Night 1 from the upper tiers before SATS? Like no-one hollers from the top tiers at any concert, never mind a U2 one.  No-one really shouts at the band from the floor either.  It's not like the band trade insults with the fans. Although I think Bono genuinely fell into that trap (in the way that Bono does) and then instantly regretted doing it. He looked shocked by his own actions on the YT footage and offered an instant apology of sorts.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:05:40 AM by 73October »

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless

At the 2nd Washington D.C. show last night at the Capital One arena, the Upper Level and Mid-Level sections were sitting down for most of the show. WHAT THE HELL!? This show was being filmed for a DVD/Blue Ray release! This is the first time in U2's career that I have ever seen people sitting down at a U2 show in large numbers. There were even some people in the lower level sections that were sitting occasionally, but in general the lower level sections were up on their feet.

Why do you wonder...they were even sitting in Rome, Italy last year during JT concert there. Unfortunately, I had a seated ticket in the mid section, and after the first 8 songs they would sit down and didn' even stand up again for BD Elevation Vertigo.
And that happened in Italy, where the fans are almost crazy about U2 like in South America. So what's so strange about sitting people in DC, when they even do it in Italy  ;D
I was looking at the GA area with an envious glance and wished I could beam me down there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:04:49 AM by Catlithco »

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
There's going to be some annoyed people near me (in tier 1) in the Autumn in the UK.
Oh well.
THIS IS A ROCK & ROLL SHOW.....not a prog rock show. 
If people think that, they are in the wrong place (but the right place because it's a U2 show - doesn't get better than this...)

BTW - who was that guy who hollered at Bono on Night 1 from the upper tiers before SATS? Like no-one hollers from the top tiers at any concert, never mind a U2 one.  No-one really shouts at the band from the floor either.  It's not like the band trade insults with the fans. Although I think Bono genuinely fell into that trap (in the way that Bono does) and then instantly regretted doing it. He looked shocked by his own actions on the YT footage and offered an instant apology of sorts.

So a guy was yelling - do we know what he was saying or was he just making a lot of noise? Bono finally decides he can't ignore him and asks if he's all right. Did the guy reply? Then Bono, I guess (I'm hearing impaired) asks the crowd something and they yell back. Bono shoots the finger, not in real anger but in an Irish "f*** off mate" way and instantly kicks himself for it. I can't hear a word he says but his body language and tone is instantly contrite. Edge has been trying to get the song going and shut Bono's mouth before this all happens and now he just goes ahead, wisely. Do I have the gist of that?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
Also, that's the same hand gesture I may be forced to use to people behind me on Friday, sadly.

Offline wons

• Numb

Why do you wonder...they were even sitting in Rome, Italy last year during JT concert there. Unfortunately, I had a seated ticket in the mid section, and after the first 8 songs they would sit down and didn' even stand up again for BD Elevation Vertigo.
And that happened in Italy, where the fans are almost crazy about U2 like in South America. So what's so strange about sitting people in DC, when they even do it in Italy  ;D
I was looking at the GA area with an envious glance and wished I could beam me down there.

I've seen U2 23 times. This is the first time I have seen large numbers of people, entire sections in fact, sitting down at a U2 concert. I've seen every tour from ZOO TV on, except for the Innocence tour in 2015 which only visited 7 U.S. cities.

The people in the top level sections of the arena started the show sitting down and remained seated for most of it.

I'm shocked there were people sitting in Rome Italy last year and did not know that. But what I saw in D.C. last night was at times the entire Top level and mid-level sections sitting. This NEVER happened on any of the previous tours I have seen going all the way back to ZOO TV.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Regardless of what others do, NOBODY CAN EVER TELL YOU TO SIT DOWN. Seriously, they can choose to sit, but you don't have to. It is not the @#$%^ opera.

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
I agree!  I had seats in upper section in Montreal and was shocked that nearly everybody sat.  My mom (who is nearly 70 by the way) my sister, niece and myself were all on our feet the whole time.  I think everyone around us thought we were annoying and weird but we didn't care!  We sang and danced the whole show!

Offline Tomahawk277

• Stranger in a Strange Land
So myself, my dad, sister, and mom went to the Sunday night show in DC and we had 2 sets of tickets in different spots. So my dad and I sat together and my mom and sister sat together. So we’re way up in the nosebleeds and I can’t even see the screen but I’m still going to stand up for the majority of it, I mean it is a U2 concert after all. But everyone else around me just sat there the whole time???! Like come on people, this is one of the greatest rock bands in history and you’re just sitting the whole time. My mom and sister even got yelled at to sit down during the show which is just infuriating.
Also does anyone know why all those seats in the upper behind level were curtained off? We had just sat there the night before but suddenly they weren’t selling them for some reason.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
The debate to me is if the cause is older fans, and frankly - wealthy fans in the good seats who aren't maybe serious U2 fans
Possibly because sometimes (at least in Europe but it could be the case in North America as well), big companies buy expensive concerts or sports event tickets in bulk in order to offer them to their business partners/shareholders to thank them, so you end up with lots of people in the best seats not caring one bit about the band/the team and sometimes even looking utterly bored there - they're there just because it wouldn't be polite not to go.
Some companies set up yearly subscriptions to big venues, therefore they buy tickets in advance without knowing which shows  will be on.

That can be how the price of seats can go up so much, and that could be why the more expensive seats become, the less fans-ready-to-get-up-and-dance there seem to be in the audience (sigh!).
On a happier note, it sometimes brings about strange and even ludicrous results. One of my friends told me that she has seen some distressed business men trying to remain firmly seated, protecting themselves with their briefcases from fans who were jumping around and headbanging during an ACDC concert.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:47:26 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline bcate

• Stranger in a Strange Land
I was one of those sitting at the Monday show.  I could blame my wife who tugged at me to sit down when I stood up for IWF.  But you’re right, Wons, no excuses.  I did stand and sway for the rest of the show after they started playing Pride.  But, it was weird.  People stood when the band reappeared for the encore and remained standing when Bono gave a monologue before One,  but many sat back down when the song started.

Some random thoughts about last night’s show.

•   I quite liked some of the newer (to me at least) songs, especially Blackout and America Soul, songs with more of a rock Edge. 
•   Temper your expectations if you’re looking for a lift from a 2 ½ hour spiritual revival.  E+I is not that kind of show. The sets were dominated by contemplative, midbeat songs.  They even recast SBS to fit the mood.
•    Finally, I saw, a day after father’s day, a teenage son in front of me throw his arm around his dad a couple of times, tugging his dad closer and even resting his head on the old man’s (tho my contemporary’s) shoulder.  Gestures of joy, it seemed, celebrating a moment and love of music passed from one generation to the next.  Damn them for sitting!

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
That's adorable!

Offline wons

• Numb

Also does anyone know why all those seats in the upper behind level were curtained off? We had just sat there the night before but suddenly they weren’t selling them for some reason.

They were curtained off because U2 failed to sell most of those seats. Those that they did sell, were moved to other parts of the arena into seats not sold yet. Its been pretty common on second nights in cities, Philly and Washington for example, for the upper level behind the stage to be curtained off. Demand is lower for this tour for several reasons, although the biggest reason is the fact they were just here a year ago with stadium shows in these same cities, and that has naturally dampened demand for many of this years shows a bit.

Typically U2 does a big tour in one year, and then breaks for 3 or 4 years before coming back to the same markets. They have toured some cities in the United States now 3 out of last 4 years. When you oversaturate the market like that, demand starts to decline.